• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fire at Amazing Hot Dog

rhubarbd

Eric Eisenbud and Matt Applebaum, owners of Amazing Hot Dog, are saddened to announce that there was an unfortunate electrical fire at their recently opened restaurant early Saturday morning, February 25th.

The restaurant - which opened on January 16th and is located at 148A Bloomfield Avenue in Verona - is temporarily closed. No other stores in the Brookdale Plaza strip mall were damaged, and thankfully no one was injured.

Matt and Eric fully intend to rebuild and reopen Amazing Hot Dog within a 6-8 week period.

-- Frank Diaz & Karen Schloss

diaz * schloss communications

Yeah, mine too. 6 to 8 weeks sounds like it was pretty bad as well. I can only hope that they're up and running sooner than that and this doesn't hurt them too much.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Ouch. Jason and I were talking about going there for dinner last night, we ended up going for rodizio in Belleville instead, planning on going to AHD for lunch today. That just sucks. Sorry guys. Please let us know when you are ready to reopen.

Wow... I was planning to head over there after work for lunch in a little while. Glad that I checked here first, but saddened to read of this unfortunate incident.

Best of luck getting reopened ASAP!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Rotten news.

I hope that insurance covers this.

Good luck with the rebuilding.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

This is so sad! Chris read about this on Baristanet today and passed this on to me.

We just brought friends there on Thursday, and Chris was planning on heading there today as well.

Matt & Eric- best wishes and I'm thankful you guys are okay.

Well we headed over there to give Eric a big hug and see how bad it is.

Its not that bad.

At least from the standpoint of someone that isn't losing money while they're business is closed, and doesnt have to spring for any clean-up or repairs.

The clean-up has begun, there is very little actual fire damage, smoke and water damage is extreme, but the fire dept didnt trash the place.

We met some nice folks trying to buy some hotdogs, one really nice couple who were the advance scouts for their dining club. I of course turned them on to Egullet and told them to return to Amazing Hot Dog in exactly 6 weeks...Like we all will :wub:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ouch. Jason and I were talking about going there for dinner last night, we ended up going for rodizio in Belleville instead, planning on going to AHD for lunch today. That just sucks. Sorry guys. Please let us know when you are ready to reopen.

Yup, we'll be there to document the re-opening. Please let us know how things progress! We're pulling for you!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your well wishes and patronage over the last 6 weeks. It's hard to believe its only been 6 weeks. We are trying to keep our chins up and know that we have overcome many hurdles in this process and this one is just another bump in the road in the history of Amazing Hot Dog.

The clean up began yesterday whith dehumidifyers and a clean up crew to remove the decintegrated cieling tiles off the floor. The dehums will run all day today and the crew will be back on Monday to begin cleaning the walls etc.. Then the search begins for contractors. We used alot of friends the first time around who did alot of things as their side job. This worked ok when we weren't paying rent and time was not as much as an issue. Oh, there's also the joy of dealing with the insurance company and all that.

Here's a link to my shutterfly pictures of the tragedy.

Thanks again for your support and look for our re-opening soon.

Eric and Matt

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Wow. Some shots...

You've been so forthright in sharing your restaurant experience Eric that the eGullet community can feel the pain.

Keep your chin up, you'll be back...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Thanks again for your support and look for our re-opening soon.

Eric and Matt

Ugh, looking at those pictures just made me so sad. On a positive note though, I think you're going to have a line around the block the first day you re-open. I know Chris & I miss your doggies & fries already!

Edited by allie (log)

I'm sorry to hear about your fire. After all your hard work, great p.r. and folks who are happy with your product and all that hard work you did on securing your approvals (FINALLY) from the town just to get started... well this had to be a kick in the pants :sad: , I'm sure you'll be back in operation again in no time flat!

Goodluck and all the best to you.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

How often does a great eatery have a chance to start again from the bare walls, making all the improvements and changes to the physical space and cooking setup that you might have envisioned during your first six weeks?

You'll be back -- better than ever!

Count on it.

Oh Eric, I am so sorry to hear about this. I was just telling my nephew that I had a new hot dog place to go with him when he is in town next too!

We will make it there once you re-open, be sure to let us all know when that is.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Eric and Matt though I've not been to your place yet, however based upon friends comments and what I've seen on Ch 7 and other "P.R." you've had, I've recommended some friends go to your place so this is from a Blog I just wanted to show you the support and comments that have been said so here's a paste (edited to protect the innocent - wink/grin)

Friend in Essex County: I can't believe that! What a stroke of bad luck, poor guys! We were just there on Thursday for lunch. I informed my co-worker and she asked to pass a message along that when they rebuild, could they please be open on Sunday? I guess she brought her mother and daughter there a few weeks ago and they were closed. That's terrible about the fire though. I had no idea, I don't pass it usually so I didn't notice anything strange. Keep me posted, we're turning into AHD Groupies! 03:50 PM on 02/27/2006 by Essex County Friend

Beatrix near Middlesex/Monmouth County

What's AHD? I'm in central Jersey, so I might be able to check it out.

03:52 PM on 02/27/2006 by Beatrix near M/M Counties

Hi Beatrix - from Friend in Essex County,

"Amazing Hot Dog" here in Verona. It's actually right down the street from where I work. Stacey knows about the owners, and AHD from another site and told me about the place so we checked it out a few times (wink/grin). Good Stuff! I really hope they reopen :-(

Well - I hope you reopen with at least half a day Sundays for the park-goers! Like 11-6 or something. Anyhow like I said before next time I'm down in your county I'll be there with belt off... or is that bells on? :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

How awful! The pictures really got to me, especially as someone who has lived through a fire as well as a difficult restaurant opening. Eric, you have my sincerest empathy. I wish you a speedy, smooth recovery. I'm sure you will back better than ever- you have a great product!

Joanne