• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Patrick's Day

Deldino

If you're not going to McSorely's Pub in NYC, you may as well just go anywhere! :wink:

No other St. Patrick's Day experience has ever come close to the one I spent at that "fine" establishment!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

hitmanoo - Light or Dark?

Usually dark, but after a few hours, it got very hazy....

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Usually dark, but after a few hours, it got very hazy....

Understandable... those little glasses go down way too easily :smile:

Whenever I've gone there, our table always seems to end up with a selection of light and dark. And plenty of greasy chips (liberally covered in vinegar) to wash down with the beer!

Edit: typo!

Edited by jb_973 (log)

Only problem with McSorelys is that it's been overrun by yuppie tourons. You'd be better off leaving it to them on St Patricks day and going any winter weekday afternoon when the sun is shining through the windows (Gotta snag that front table!)

mah2.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You can start early and attend Nutley's St. Patrick's Day parade this Saturday (3/4), then do the pub crawl. The Franklin Steakhouse obtained a permit to serve outside.

A pub crawl! Now that brings me back to some good times! A pub crawl in Nutley sounds like a fun idea--if only I didn't have to work on Saturday :sad:

Only problem with McSorelys is that it's been overrun by yuppie tourons.  You'd be better off leaving it to them on St Patricks day and going any winter weekday afternoon when the sun is shining through the windows (Gotta snag that front table!)

I don't think yuppies would be a problem at McSorelys on St. Patrick's Day. If you're not actively drinking, they toss you out.

If you're not actively drinking, they toss you out.

"Be good or be gone!"

Andy's Corner Bar totally rocks, btw, though I haven't done a St. Patty's Day there yet.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

You can start early and attend Nutley's St. Patrick's Day parade this Saturday (3/4), then do the pub crawl. The Franklin Steakhouse obtained a permit to serve outside.

Sounds good - I have heard of from others who have "survived" the crawl.

I also have to work but maybe after work.

Thanks for the information everyone!

If you're not actively drinking, they toss you out.

"Be good or be gone!"

Andy's Corner Bar totally rocks, btw, though I haven't done a St. Patty's Day there yet.

Where is Andy's Corner Bar?

Here's their website:

Andy's Corner Bar

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Only problem with McSorelys is that it's been overrun by yuppie tourons.  You'd be better off leaving it to them on St Patricks day and going any winter weekday afternoon when the sun is shining through the windows (Gotta snag that front table!)

I don't think yuppies would be a problem at McSorelys on St. Patrick's Day. If you're not actively drinking, they toss you out.

Yuppies and frat boys have been a problem at McSorelys for a decade, not only on St. Patricks day but every weekend. It's a neat place but I'm not going to stand behind police barricades for 2 hours waiting to get in the door to stand shoulder to shoulder while drinking only as much ale as I can hold at one time. Will only go there on weekdays, afternoons preferred.

Give me PJs, Fanellis or Old Town Bar instead...

Same day as photo above we patronize PJ Clarkes...

pjc2.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Yuppies and frat boys have been a problem at McSorelys for a decade, not only on St. Patricks day but every weekend. It's a neat place but I'm not going to stand behind police barricades for 2 hours waiting to get in the door to stand shoulder to shoulder while drinking only as much ale as I can hold at one time. Will only go there on weekdays, afternoons preferred.

Give me PJs, Fanellis or Old Town Bar instead...

Same day as photo above we patronize PJ Clarkes...

I think I've only been there for one St. Patty's Day, and our group arrived very early. We didn't have any wait, and by the time we rolled out, I didn't notice much of any wait. Though my memory of leaving is not on par with my memory of arrival.

Of course, this was back in my college days when drinking was more of a common event, and many a day seemed like practices for St. Patrick's Day.

I've not done the pub crawl in forever, but Finnigans in Westwood could be a local New Jersey option. And, there is a great place in Clifton, the name is escaping me...that is as Irish as a shamrock.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, last year (or maybe it was the year before?) we were pleasantly surprised by some live Irish music at The Porter House on the top of Kinderkamack Road in Montvale about 1/4 South of the Pearl River, NY border. They have 2 nice bars that I've seen, a small one which they use for the dining area and the big bar/pub area up front. It is definitely worth a try for Saint Patrick's Day and the food is pretty fresh and good, we always enjoy it there, but you will probably have to make reservations at least 2 days in advance (so that's REAL soon!) I would think! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.