• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Century Restaurant and Bar

Mike Mitchell

I was there four night ago and it ws pretty quite. Great drinks and all round great service. I'm convinced that the location is a restaurant graveyard. Such a beautiful room but no one goes there even with valet service. After having a couple of drinks and appies we walked over to Chmabr and it was booked solid even at the bar :sad:

Edited by eatglobally (log)

No culture exists without food and drink

I was there four night ago and it ws pretty quite. Great drinks and all round great service. I'm convinced that the location is a restaurant graveyard. Such a beautiful room but no one goes there even with valet service. After having a couple of drinks and appies we walked over to Chmabr and it was booked solid even at the bar :sad:

I am curious about the location comment. Why is that area a graveyard? I would say that the location of Chambar would be much worse. I am not commenting on either restaurant as a concept or business just the location each one happens to be in. Chambar thrives in an out of the way area dispelling the location location location theory. Is Century's business dictated by seasons? Is the room more appealing in the fall and winter and less in the summer?

Edited by wildebeest (log)

But then again, we haven't tried the beds upstairs in Sanafir yet ......

Don't the beds require a guarrantee of $400 or $500 to be spent to secure them? A friend had to pay a deposit for them one evening.

Not as bad as George's g-spot room..

But yes, I think Chambar is more successful than Century because of the hype they built-up since opening, which took a lot of coordination, marketing, and strategy. On the other hand, though, Century too did have an "opening soon" show.. Chambar has a better location than Century though. GM Place and BC Stadium are closeby, adding much more traffic. I think overall Chambar is also regarded more as a "destination" restaurant compared to Century, who didn't nearly get the mighty reviews that Chambar garnered since their splash opening.

Century does have a lot of group bookings in the old vault room - but surviving on parties is no way to run a business.. perhaps some restaraunt marketing is in need here..

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

In regards to location. I'm guessing based on the previous four restauranst that have been there including Umberto's none have ever lasted. The street in general is a barren waste land in regards to neighbours and foot traffic. Chambar on the other hand is close to the skytrain, bridges the gap between the Gastown and Yaletown, and the night time "homeless situation is far greater than Beatty Street.

No culture exists without food and drink

My husband and I ate lunch there on Wednesday. We loved it and will be back for supper sometime. I will post more details in the "last three places" thread. We were the only ones in there, though, for the hour or so we were there.

• 3 months later...

Press has been notably absent. Century has a new chef. I don't know all the details ... but there was some serendipitous timing between my neighbour looking for a new gig and Century needing a new chef.

I hadn't been since one of the pre-opening dinners, shame on me.

So, Seamus (my neighbour) gave me a little friendly grief and bugged us on when we were going to come down.

Last Friday we had dinner at Century.

I'm not the kind of guy to bring a camera to dinner, so you'll have to live with stunted prose.

NB: my memory might not reflect actual food consumption.

1. Cauliflower soup with salmon roe and poached oyster.

This was an amazing soup ... I loved it. The oyster was perfect. Not generally a big fan of cooked oysters, but this soup was perfectly balanced. The oyster was not chewy, nor exhibited any of the other faults sometimes present when one eats poorly cooked oyster.

Delicious.

2. Braised pork belly. Can't remember the side.

Yum. That's all I have to say. This dish was amazing. My wife who normally shies away from eating too much fat was at first hesitant, but when she tried it ... she loved it.

3. Pan seared duck breast with duck confit risotto.

Again, delicious. Seamus knows we love duck, so I suspect that played into his choice for a duck course. This was very yummy. Beautiful risotto with great texture, and perfectly cooked duck breast.

3.5 ... edited to add ... (see how good my memory is) We received a truffled beef tartar as well. Best I've ever had. Can't believe I forgot it.

4. Trio of seafood.

Here's where my memory really breaks down. There was a very delicious, perfectly cooked scallop served with chili oil, a potatoe pave, salmon dusted in beet, but there was also something else, I hesitate to say it was tuna, might have been. What I can say is that all were excellent with the scallop being the star. (I was two pre-dinner martinis, and two with dinner drinks ... so I was getting hazy. Apologies to Seamus for poor memory)

5. Trio of ice-creams

An appropriate simple and tasty pallette cleanser.

Service was prompt and very friendly, but it was a bit quiet as we got there fairly early.

All in all ... we had a great time. And we had a great meal. If you haven't yet visited Century, then for what it's worth you have my recommendation. It was the first time I had eaten Seamus' food, and the dude can definitely cook.

If you have been before, go again. I believe it to be improved.

M.

Edited by mtigges (log)

Have they dropped the modern latin cowboy theme?  The dinner you had didn't sound very latin.

The decor hasn't changed if that's what you're asking. As for the menu, it's totally new. I enjoyed Remi's food. And I thought the modern latin was a great concept ... the new menu isn't latin I don't think. We didn't really look at it long, as Seamus dictated what we were going to eat. I remember seeing some surprising combinations ... ie. an appetizer that included both duck and ice cream. I intend to go back and eat from the menu.

M

Have they dropped the modern latin cowboy theme?  The dinner you had didn't sound very latin.

The decor hasn't changed if that's what you're asking. As for the menu, it's totally new. I enjoyed Remi's food. And I thought the modern latin was a great concept ... the new menu isn't latin I don't think. We didn't really look at it long, as Seamus dictated what we were going to eat. I remember seeing some surprising combinations ... ie. an appetizer that included both duck and ice cream. I intend to go back and eat from the menu.

M

Just back from a lovely dinner at Century. Yes, it is still reflecting the Nuevo Latino theme it first opened with - to wit, on the menu: a Grain Flatbread with red and green lentil humus and roasted tomato jam; Chili Infused Duck Breast with sweet potato tart and lime ice cream; Bison Carpaccio with peppered biscotti and jalapeno pecan butter; West Coast Ceviche with mint scallops, lime prawns and lemon trout; Banana Dust Crusted Red Snapper with chili fries and winter vegetable ragu; and Latin Seafood Stew. I do not pretend to be an expert in Latino fare - but seems like the Latino influence is a little lighter on this menu. However I understand that a new menu is in the works and will be showcased soon - the new chef, Seamus Havlin, needed an interim menu between Remy's and his newly developed offering.

My favourite moment? When our lovely host Mike introduced the side to my husband's amazing Century Burger (with duck confit): This is a Latin tomato spread, otherwise known as ketchup.

My most interesting moment? Feeling an eerie feeling in the ladies' bathroom that had nothing to do with the running water. I'm sure she's harmless, but . . ..

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

• 5 months later...

We had a pre-concert dinner there 3 weeks ago, and, sad to say, it was deserted. We were early, but this was a Friday evening when I expected there might be some action. Our three-some was 60% of the business up until 7:00pm, and not very profitable either, as they comped the cocktails because there was no mint for the mojitos! - a very generous gesture undoubtedly. It made me wonder if they were expecting any business at all that night. Maybe the herbs are delivered before Saturday's service. We shared a couple of the sampler plates; one meaty, the other fishy, but were generally underwhelmed by the presentation, composition and flavour. None of the food we had suggested confidence or experience.

Too bad, as the room is lovely and the bar a beauty.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Thanks John, they look to be on their third chef, formerly of Fiction, I think, so maybe some growing pains.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza