• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Century Restaurant and Bar

Mike Mitchell

In a perfect world, I would return right away. There were several readers who wrote to say I was unduly harsh on Habit last week and should have returned several times before writing a critical review. Alas, like most consumers, I pay full price for my meals, have a monthly budget to stick to and must make my assessment of a restaurant on one visit.

Oh gawd, the shenanigans!

Nevertheless, a refreshing and very well put together review. I haven't had enough of the food yet to comment fairly, but I agree entirely about the music. The place is a cathedral deserving of a better choir than what it currently (and regrettably) sports. Perhaps they lean too heavily on what they like (thump thump thump) rather than what would gel the best. Something like this would be a holistic and far more suitable wax carpaccio (if you've been to Century, click track two to see what I mean). Still, what do I know? If they played Ruby Tuesday in there I'd likely leave a puddle.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

pork.JPG

This was enough to convince me.  I've made a reservation for tomorrow night.  Will let you all know how it goes.

Glade I could help.

Ms. Gill review did take a few punches some were fair while others where just her personal opinion and most people could care less, because she indirectly suggested it worth a try.

She gave the room and service the credit it deserves and even said the kitchen shows promise. I am not speaking for Remi in any way shape or form but I believe any chef especially at a new restaurant would admit you need time to reach perfection, if there is even such a thing.

I am contemplating going back this weekend for more pork bellies :wub: and maybe even take the reviewers recommendation and try the paella.

It’s always a bad sign when a restaurant’s wait staff is better-looking than the food they serve. So it is with a number of this city’s “in” eateries, where image is everything and menu takes a backseat to atmosphere. Walking into Century for the first time, I couldn’t help but wonder: Would dinner prove as pleasing as the girl who took our coats? Or our waitress? Or that chic foursome occupying the neighboring table? I sincerely doubted it. Still, I held out hope for a place that offered the likes of “pork bellies with plantain fritters” and “beef cheek adobe”.

We were seated. While my fellow diners perused their menu’s, I checked out the décor, having already decided on my meal two weeks earlier when Century’s appetizer and entrée list first appeared on the egullet forum. For a former turn-of-the-century bank, the place has an undeniable warmth and charm. As everyone mulled over their choices, we were served some terrific grilled flatbread accompanied by two kinds of olives, olive oil, and a wonderful roasted red pepper dip.

Appetizers. I, of course, started with the plantain fritters and cinnamon maple braised pork bellies with herb salad. My wife went with the Caesar salad. One of my friends had the Dungeness crab burritos. I also ordered the “chips ’n dip” for the table, a soft-shell taco trio comprised of oxtail, rabbit, and braised short rib, each served with caramelized onions. My pork bellies were a hit and I, quite frankly, expected no less. The plantain fritters, unfortunately, lacked any discernible plantain flavor and could well have been cauliflower fritters for all I knew. Still, dipped in the accompanying cinnamon maple accompaniment, they could have been Spackle fritters and I would have enjoyed them nevertheless. My friend found his crab burritos unremarkable. My wife was equally unimpressed with her Caesar salad. The soft shell tacos were good, although the oxtail version came out heads above the others.

After a lengthy wait, our entrees arrived. I had the braised short ribs and beef cheek Adobo on the yucca root puree. Loved the beef cheeks. Nicely seasoned, perfectly cooked. The short ribs unfortunately paled in comparison. Not particularly tender, they were nonetheless helped by the surprisingly good yucca root puree that possessed an almost blue cheese undercurrent. My wife went with the Latin cassoulet (rabbit, Karabuto bacon, salchichon, and oxtail). The little rabbit loins served with the dish were so amusingly tiny that if someone had told me they were gerbil loins, I’d have believed them. She wasn’t won over. My friends had the roasted black cod with the caramelized squash (the squash was a winner, the cod not so much), and the roasted loin of venison (which was, everyone agreed, the best entrée of the evening although my friend questioned whether they had erroneously served him the appetizer half-portion).

All in all, a good meal, although there were no real stand-out signature items that won me over. I would probably go back, eventually, but I’d need a date since my wife won’t be returning for a second visit. Pork bellies, anyone?

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I would probably go back, eventually, but I’d need a date since my wife won’t be returning for a second visit.  Pork bellies, anyone?

I am in! I haven't tried Century yet. I am hoping for some time off very soon and want to pop in and enjoy the room and food.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Congrats to Sean and his staff. I love your new place. Service is great....room cozy....food fantastic. The crab burritos are wonderful. I never seem to find the amazing guacamole like I've sampled in Mexico numerous times. But now my searching is done. I know where to get my fix.

I disagree about the mojitos. Having just been in Cuba and sampled many mojitos the Century's version are good.

Michele MacInnes

EAT Magazine

Just wanted to let everyone know that the airing of our restaurants opening on "Opening Soon" will air for the first time on Monday the 20th at 7:00 p.m and then again on Tuesday at 10:00 p.m. Be sure to let us know what you thought...cheers! :cool:

Mike Mitchell | Restaurant Manager | CinCin

Just wanted to let everyone know that the airing of our restaurants opening on "Opening Soon" will air for the first time on Monday the 20th at 7:00 p.m and then again on Tuesday at 10:00 p.m.  Be sure to let us know what you thought...cheers!  :cool:

Really looking forward to this Mike!

[host]

I'm going to ask that discussion of this episode takes place over HERE in the Food & Media forum since the rest of Canada and the US (on Fine Living) will be able to see the episode as well.

Thanks

A.

[/host]

• 4 weeks later...

A quick note to let you all know that we are now open for lunch. The website should be loaded up shortly, and you can peruse the menu anytime at www.centuryhouse.ca

Just in case it doesn't load, I'll give you copy here.

Wild Boar Consommé

Roasted jalapeño and apple gelee

Hand Picked Organic Greens

Pomegranate vinaigrette, fresh jicama, and spiced croutons

Caesar Salad

Fresh crisp romaine, quail eggs, fresh avocado,

and traditional dressing

Plantain Fritters & Pork Bellies

Crispy plantain cakes with cinnamon maple braised Kurabuto pork bellies

and a petite herb salad

“Empanadas”

Wild mushroom, Spanish chorizo, and brandade

Filled puff pastry turnovers

Mains

All mains are served with our guacamole mousse and pico de gallo sorbet and chips

The Cuban

Serrano ham, roasted pork loin, with melted Cabrales cheese, spiced pickles

and chili mayo on a grilled baguette

Century’s Latin BBQ

Slow cooked kurabuto pork and oxtail on fried egg bread

with a fresh vegetable slaw

Braised short ribs

Pickled onions, and fried corn cakes

Roasted chicken

braised white beans, with a mole poblano sauce

“Crepe”dillas

Oaxacan cheese filled crepes grilled and garnished with your choice

Chicken, chorizo or roasted squash and

“Burritos” of the Sea

Crab, shrimp and brandade filled crepe style burritos

With fresh goat cheese and a chimichurri sauce

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to try Remi's pork sandwich, finally the day is here!

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

I think my stomach just growled. Good luck with the lunch roll out, menu looks great.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

After reading that menu this morning, I just had to suggest we go there. We were there pretty early and pretty much had the place to ourselves. What a fantastic room.....simply beautiful.

My first impression was of a very friendly gentleman at the door. After I gathered up my jaw from the ground (again, the room), we were seated at a very comfy booth. I had a Caprinha to start and my table mates had a glass of wine and a margarita. We were all happy. We started with the Ceasar salad and it was very good. The flatbread was also a very nice nibble along with the accompaniments. Now, my main dish stole my heart. I had the Beef Cheek and Short Ribs. Everything on my plate was a party in my mouth! I wasn't too hungry and ordered the half order and I found it a perfect size. My friends had the Chicken and one of the fish dishes. Both were very happy with their meals.

Our server was very sweet, super attentive and lovely. I hope that this is also the case when the room is full. I can't wait to get back there and try the other bites and coctails on the menu. The room is huge and yet warm and cozy and so inviting. Great job, guys.

I think this is my new favourite room in town. :biggrin:

Quentina

I was thinking of trying out Century on Monday night. Anyone know if they are open (is Monday a holiday?)

Oh they are open on Mondays...

my kitchen staff and I tried to drink all the beer and wine one Monday a few weeks ago....the kitchen staff won; I lost!

A well deserved review for a well thought out business. If century had a fan club I would be its president.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Kind words Chef...and a valiant effort at drinking all of our beverages if memory serves correctly. Just wanted to inform everyone that after a very apologetic and lengthy delay our website is officially up and running. It can be viewed at www.centuryhouse.ca Give it a view and let me know what you think. Many thanks to Andrew Morrison and "waiterblog" for being a temporary site to view our menu while we finished off the details of our page.

Cheers,

:cool:

Mike Mitchell | Restaurant Manager | CinCin

Looks nice. It could use some more photos, perhaps a few that include actual people, including staff/ownership/kitchen. Perhaps add some bios for Sean, yourself, and Chef. A shot of the private room? I see it there in the "contact" section, but there's no info on it. You should consider some food shots as well. I thought you guys used open table? If so, you should consider throwing in a reserve link, too.

It's "info-light" and almost photo-less, but I can imagine it's difficult to do a room like yours justice on a webpage.

Traffic was appreciated, though hardly by design. Thanks go to google. :wink:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been here lately?

I'm debating going to either Century or Sanafir one night next week. I want a room with some oomph (and both seem to have that), but I want good food as well. Any updates?

I would throw my vote towards Century ..... the food at both are about the same level, but I like the atmosphere better. IMO Century is more interesting and comfortable to drink/dine/ and hang out in.

But then again, we haven't tried the beds upstairs in Sanafir yet ......

I would throw my vote towards Century ..... the food at both are about the same level, but I like the atmosphere better. IMO Century is more interesting and comfortable to drink/dine/ and hang out in.

What happened to Century? This is the first time I have heard any mention of them in ages? Opened with a splash, then not a peep from anyone? Only remembered it after seeing e-gulleter's Andrew Morrison's article in the WE a few weeks ago.

I gather it's not at all busy, how come?

In fact, how is that entire group of restaurants doing? Aren't they one of those restaurant groups owning Fiction, Lucy Mae Brown and a couple of others? Can anyone say?

Andrew, thought you chose a rather odd grouping in that article by the way. Yes some were young guns and the new generation, but some were not and some, well one, was just a relative? Was that particular owner too old and successful to be part of the article? :biggrin: