• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gold, Silver, Bronze—and Red ... wines, not medals

Gifted Gourmet

article from Slate

A timely article, considering the location of the current Olympics:

The wines for which Piedmont is most renowned, Barolos and Barbarescos, are produced in the Langhe district, about an hour south of Turin. Both wines are made from the thick-skinned, ornery Nebbiolo grape, which thrives in the steep vineyards that surround the town of Alba... In the past, Barbera was considered a pleasant but thoroughly pedestrian wine—"the people's wine," as it was known... No one could deny that the plusher Barberas were better Barberas, and even some of the archtraditionalists started using barriques for theirs. The improved quality has led to higher prices...

Are any of these wines from the Piedmont of Italy favorites of yours?

Have you noticed the newest refinement of the Barberas?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Are any of these wines from the Piedmont of Italy favorites of yours?

Have you noticed the newest refinement of the Barberas?

Melissa,

Barolo and Barbaresco can be wonderful; unfortunately, they are always pricey. Hence, other red wines from the area are of greater interest to me (and my wallet), such as nebbiolo d'Alba, Gatinera, Carema, Valtellina (although not technically in the Piedmont, still nebbiolo based and close), Roero, etc.

I am no fan of docetto or barbera, even in they're "improved" state. One man's meat is another's poison and, for myself, I don't think barrels are making those wines 'better.'

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Barolo and Barbaresco can be wonderful; unfortunately, they are always pricey. Hence, other red wines from the area are of greater interest to me (and my wallet), such as nebbiolo d'Alba, Gatinera, Carema, Valtellina (although not technically in the Piedmont, still nebbiolo based and close), Roero, etc.

as Jim notes, there are more affordable alternatives to the Big Bs.

We had a recent offering of Barbaresco in Ontario (Vintages.com) at $23. I was able to get one but will hold.. There might still be some in the outposts, but my point is, judicious buying is important in a difficult market.