• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gellan

rich

I've been trying to track down a source to purchase gellan. I have a few of Wylie Dufresne's recipes and he uses a lot of it. A search on google proved fruitless. Anyone know where you can get this fermented gum?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey while we're on the subject of hard to find additive does anyone know where i can get my hand on some methylcellulose it a thermo alginate that gels when it's heated i've got a recipe to make hot ice cream with it but i can't get my hands on it to find it can anyone help.

J-roc

The eBay product is not food grade. I'd suggest you contact National Starch. They manufacture all types of starches, gels, thickeners and related ingredients for the food industry and will send free samples. The web site describes dozens of products for different applications. You can also send an email through their Ask the Expert feature and they will recommendation a product for your specific application. They responded within hours to one of my requests and sent a variety of samples within days. They don't sell direct, but could give you the name of a supplier in your area.

Ilene

sodium alginate is something totally different; to create the caviars you are thinking about one mixes the puree with sodium alginate, then drops the liquid into a bath of water and calcium chloride (about 5% solution, i think). the ions crosslink, forming a biopolymer. (if that statement is wrong, i'm sorry. that's how i understood the explanations i have been given.) the caviars will keep "cooking", eventually forming a solid ball of gelled puree...so they are served immediately, so the can stll explode when you bite into them. also, chloride is very bitter, and the longer you keep your puree in the bath the more bitter it will taste; a quick rinse in cold water or even simple syrup can be efficacious in removing the bitterness.

cheers for that fry_guy who would of thought eh! i also found it from www.ticgum.com and the sent me a sample next day deliverie but they haven't told me what the minimum order is yet i think it's like 50kg and i'm not really sure what i'd do with all the so ebay might be my only option thanks.

J-roc