• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweetened, Condensed Milk

Anna N

I'd also like to point out that because so much sugar has been added to a SCM, that it's AWFULLY hard to get anything to grow in it (meaning you're giong to have a hard time spoiling it). Many industrial users of SCM don't even put it into cold storage, but rather simply use ambient storage, for that exact reason. I've seen tanks of SCM sit for days in the summer time heat, and it's not at all unusual. The bigger danger is one of hydrolytic rancidity, but generally speaking, spoilage organisms aren't the largest concern.

a scm that has darkened in color and viscosity probably has taken on a very nice flavor as well. as previously noted, anything with protein and reducing sugars is gonna brown up on you - the older it is and the warmer it's been kept, the more this is going to happen. if you're tempeted to throw it out, just go ahead and send it to me 8-) i'd boil the whole can for a couple of hours and make a great caramel sauce out of it instead!

I'm so glad I found this topic.  I had this experience with a can of Eagle sweetened condensed milk last night.  I called my source for all baking related answers (mom) and she said she's had this too, used the can anyway and we've all lived to tell. 

But then she asked me a question.  Is there any difference between the Eagle Sweetened condensed milk and the Magnolia?  Magnolia is usually cheaper.  Is Eagle better?  So, now I'm coming to my other source for all baking related answers.  Tell me -- what have your experiences been with the two?  Do you have a preference?

some of the cheaper brands of scm have other ingredients besides milk and sugar. check the label. in the general food topics, a fellow eGulleteer donbert did a side by side tasting of scm and dulce de leche he made with 24 cans of various brands cooked to varying degrees of darkness. check out his food blog for results and an answer to your question as he gave results of a blind tasting as well.

edited to add link to donbert's blog: here it is

Edited by alanamoana (log)

• 10 months later...

I am attempting a recipe which calls for dulce de leche. I want to make my own. I know that I can boil and simmer cans of sweetened condensed milk in water for a couple of hours... however, the idea scares me. It just seems like a highly combustible activity.

I know that I'm supposed to keep the cans fully submerged.

Any advice/reassurances?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Speaking of old, old cans of sweetened condensed milk, one of the people who owns a "jobbing" warehouse, recently found two cases with the older, ca. 1970s labels (no nutritional information) when they were dismantling some old wooden shelving that was being replaced with new steel shelving.

The cases, which are very flat, had fallen off a shelf and were wedged between one of the lower shelves and the wall so were not easily seen. He took them home and I think is going to sell them on ebay - people do collect "vintage" cans.

He is a retired Navy cook and said that while he was in the service they would use the stuff that might have been stored for twenty years or more. Apparently sweetened condensed milk has a very long shelf life.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have bought a Russian brand of CM here, as the local stuff has vegetable oil in it and tastes bluckh! When I press the top to check if it has botulism in it-as I do with any can I buy, these did!! I wrote to the Russian company but never heard from them. I still have them a year later... I am not at home now so I can't look up the name? Should I toss? When in doubt, throw out??

Thnx

Edited by Lior (log)

I am attempting a recipe which calls for dulce de leche.  I want to make my own.  I know that I can boil and simmer cans of sweetened condensed milk in water for a couple of hours... however, the idea scares me.  It just seems like a highly combustible activity. 

Any advice/reassurances?

I've done it a couple of times and it's been fine. Just as you say - keep the cans fully submerged and keep the water at the just-simmering level.

I am attempting a recipe which calls for dulce de leche.  I want to make my own.  I know that I can boil and simmer cans of sweetened condensed milk in water for a couple of hours... however, the idea scares me.  It just seems like a highly combustible activity. 

Any advice/reassurances?

Use the method given by David Lebovitz on his website--no unopened can to worry about, and it will take just an hour or so of your time.