• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat!

Lori in PA

After a weekend-long smoking session involving what I can only describe as a comically large brisket, I am in the possession of a huge pan full of water and beef drippings. I haven't measured it yet but I think there's probably over a liter of beef fat there and it seems a huge shame to throw it out. I have some questions for the collective wisdom and experience here:

1-Is it worth saving?

2-Will it keep? I put it in the fridge as soon as it was cool enough to easily handle and I could easily freeze the stuff.

3-What is it good for? Could I sub it for pork lard in recipes that call for it as an ingredient or is it only good for frying?

4-Will the smoke flavor and aroma carry over to the dishes I use it in? Currently it smells like smoked beef and fat, oddly enough.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Thanks. Smoker was kept below 300 F at all times and below 250 F for the (much) greater part of the time, going as low as 200 for extended periods.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Over here I reported on a successful sous vide rendering project. Having used that lard a few times now, I also wanted to report that it's excellent quality. I'm sure that part of that involves the quality of the pork fat (which was, IIRC, Coleman shoulder), but I'm wondering if it's also related to the temperature at which it's rendered. After all, some compounds don't release at lower temperatures, and the lard is far less gamey than some I've had in the past. Any thoughts?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts