• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Fantasy Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs Flavor

Jason Perlow

I love La Casa Gelato! The Pear and Gorgonzola is delicious.

As for Fantasy Ben and Jerry's flavour...I would like a variation on the Mexican Chocolate. If they could turn the Dagoba Xocolatl in to ice cream I would be thrilled. The Xocolatl is 74% cocoa with chilis, cocoa nibs, vanilla, nutmeg and maca.

Anything sugar-free. But NOT vanilla, butter pecan and chocolate.

As far as I can tell, Haagen Dasz makes exactly zero sugar free varities, and B&J's makes almost none.

Apparently, they feel that diabetics only want crappy cheap vanilla or butter pecan ice cream, certainly not premium ice cream in a variety of interesting flavors.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

My true fantasy B&J flavor is already a standard. Phish Food. I could eat that every day of my life happily.

Not sure if these have been done or not, but here's my ideas.

- Vanilla and banana ice cream swirled with butterscotch/caramel, aka Bananas Foster

- Vanilla ice cream with a super tart, strong orange swirl through it, like an ultimate dreamsicle

I'd also like to see them make a plain, unflavored, unsweetened item, which we could keep frozen and do what we wanted to at home. Even try savory items. Could be an interesting concept. They could call it product development by requesting recipes made from the base.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

It would NEVER fly, but I swear to you, I'd buy durian ice cream (OK, maybe a vanilla with a hint of durian) with walnuts. The names, of course, are endless, but I'm liking Stink Pot or Yuck Mouth at the moment.

Love tea-flavored ice creams, so a few that come to mind are...

- Green tea laced with lavendar honey would be obvious, but damn tasty.

- Green tea with adzuki beans (an homage to japanese restaurant desserts)

- Black tea with lychee and perhaps some almonds

Love tea-flavored ice creams, so a few that come to mind are...

- Green tea laced with lavendar honey would be obvious, but damn tasty.

- Green tea with adzuki beans (an homage to japanese restaurant desserts)

- Black tea with lychee and perhaps some almonds

Maybe it has been done but I've never had the pleasure:

Lapsang Souchong

Full charcoal smokiness, dark and thick

Maybe it has been done but I've never had the pleasure:

Lapsang Souchong

Full charcoal smokiness, dark and thick

Hmm...that got me thinking about a thai iced tea or vietnamese coffee flavored ice cream....lots of smokiness, but also appeal for those with a really sweet tooth...

Lemon tart ice-cream--lemon ice-cream with a thick ribbon of lemon curd, and chunks of graham crust or shortbread crust. That would be awesome covered in billowy Italian meringue, and torched.

You know the coconut filling in those Chinese cocktail buns? That would be frickin' amazing in vanilla bean ice-cream. The filling is salty and buttery, and the ice-cream would offer cool, creamy relief.

Oh man.... *drool* The cocktail bun ice cream could be topped with that butter/sugar thing that they always put on the buns.

I've had milk tea ice cream before - to be more precise, it was actually a popsicle that was bubble tea flavour. Milk tea studded with "tapioca pearls" which were actually jelly (gelatin? agar? I couldn't tell) bits. Pretty good!

I wish either company made season-specific flavors that were available only during the months when the fruit was ripe. It would be a great marketing gimmick even if there might be a few temper tantrums thrown by the odd child who did not prefer vanilla or chocolate.

Fresh peach and just peach!

Peach with fresh ginger root!

A very dense blueberry!

Does anyone remember an amazing ice cream producer based in Iowa back in the late 80s or early 90s? Its life span was brief and it may have distributed just on the West Coast and the midwest. It made an extraordinary gianduia (see requests up-thread) and a blueberry that tasted as close as you can get to hand-churned, home made.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

French Vanilla with Toblerone chunks.

Yum. Great idea.

Another nice option might be to flavor the whole ice cream as a Toblerone. For example, a chocolate honey or vanilla honey ice cream with roasted almonds or chopped nougat.

I may need to try this in my ice cream maker while waiting for this to show up on the shelves...

In the UK you can get this already. It's made by Carte D'Or. It's pretty good, but perhaps not as high-quality as B&J or HD would be.

Edited by Naomi (log)

Lemon icecream with dark chocolate swirl. A second version with a thin stripe of raspberry swirl parelleling the chocolate.

Rosemary icecream

Straight hazelnut - no crunch.

Straight chestnut.

Chocolate icecream with cabernet swirl

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I don't know if it's been covered here yet or not, but I love love LOVE the dark chocolae and ginger combo (and white chocolate and ginger too).

Also something with a chai flavour.

And I love the idea of herbal and/or savoury combos too

**Melanie**

In the spirit of the new Ben and Jerry's flavors for 2006, what would you like to see as a new flavor?

My Fantasy Flavor would be called "Retro Chinese-American Restaurant Happy Ending". It would be a superpremium green pistachio ice cream, with chocolate-covered black cherries, almond cookie chunks, and lychee/kumquat swirls. The ultimate flavor to conclude an Asian-themed meal, and it would come in a spoof totally goofy 1960's bright red and white paper chinese soup container with pagodas and chinese women carrying parasols.

Oooh, oooh!!!! I'd buy it!

Years ago, I suggested Ben & Jerry's make a "Black Forest Torte" flavor: chocolate ice cream with cherries, chocolate chunks, and pieces of chocolate cake. They never took me up on it. Their loss!

I think they did not want to spend the money on using "Schladerer's Schwarzwaelder Kirschwasser" A MUST !!

Peter

Just a canolli in a gallon drum. Ricotta cheese, pistachio nuts (chopped) and pieces of fried shells. Okay, maybe a small chocolate swirl. Maybe some rum soaked marscapone too? That's quilding the lily. Now I gotta go to ColdStone and see if they could make something like that.....

Drat. :raz:

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Ben and Jerry's used to do a Blackberry and Passionfruit sorbet that I really liked.

Dark chocolate with candied ginger

Mangosteen sorbet

A tart really fruity orange sorbet with a dark chocolate swirl through it

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Lemon icecream with dark chocolate swirl. A second version with a thin stripe of raspberry swirl parelleling the chocolate.

Rosemary icecream

Straight hazelnut - no crunch.

Straight chestnut.

Chocolate icecream with cabernet swirl

I love the sound of every single one of these. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Unfiltered, bitter honey from the Sardinian arbutus-berry produced by Stoics with just enough

cream and sugar to draw out the special organoleptic properties of the flavor.

Top with a Gorgonzola frico wafer.

Check out the first option here.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Kulfi

Any "marriage" of Bengali style sweets with ice cream

(e.g. rasmalai ice cream, is that possible?)

The tea ice cream genre used to be available in the

Tea Board offices in Delhi decades ago....

Wonder if that's still there....

Milagai

• 3 weeks later...