• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Fantasy Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs Flavor

Jason Perlow

In the spirit of the new Ben and Jerry's flavors for 2006, what would you like to see as a new flavor?

I think Ben & Jerry's should create a flavor as an homage to Elvis' favorite sandwich: Grilled Peanut Butter with Bacon and Bananas. Given that a grilled PB B and B is usually grilled with butter, I'd probably go with hunks of Reese's style peanut butter woven throughout a butter brickle base with crispy bacon pieces and whole banana slices. The bacon is a necessity though.

Maybe call it something like Heavenly Hounddog. . .

I'd certainly buy it ;)

John

John A Gasbarre

Lamb Abbey Orchards

Union, Maine 04862

http://lambabbey.com

lambabbey@gmail.com

44° 15' 47" N / 69° 18' 42" W

Prune armagnac ice cream...too much to hope for. :smile:  :laugh:

My ex and I made a huge jar (at his persuading) of dried organic plums in a high quality armagnac. They've been soaking in that liquor for the last 2 years and I never even thought to use them, not knowing quite what to do with them. I'm sure they're still good, considering the amount of armagnac that was used.

So they're good on ice cream? Tell me more. I'd like to use them.

John

John A Gasbarre

Lamb Abbey Orchards

Union, Maine 04862

http://lambabbey.com

lambabbey@gmail.com

44° 15' 47" N / 69° 18' 42" W

I'm not talking about armagnac-soaked prunes on ice cream, but prune armagnac ice cream. I have never made ice cream, so I can't tell you how to make it, only that it's wonderful.

Michael aka "Pan"

Carmelized pineapple and pink peppercorn.  Made it yesterday.  Absolutely knockout.  So much so, that it has me fantasizing about figuring a way to market it!

Ice cream or sorbet, angrykoala?

I've seen pink peppercorns mentioned with pineapple before but I can also personally testify to it being a great combination. At Easter I was fooling around with a garnish for a pineapple-anise granita I made and came up with a caramelized pineapple chip covered with crush pink peppercorns. I thought it would be pretty but it also ended up adding a great complexity of flavor to the dish.

Pineapple Anise Granita with Pink Peppercorn Fruit Chips

gallery_13473_2830_51149.jpg

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

That's pretty. How did you make the chips?

Thanks, Pan.

I used both strawberries and pineapple; the latter came out better as they kept their shape better through the chip making process. I just sliced the fruit very thinly, ~ 1/10 inch. I sprinkled the top with some sugar and pressed in some crushed pink peppercorns. I then baked them at the lowest oven setting (~ 200 deg F) for about 3 hours or until they were crisp. Early on in the baking I used a spatula to periodically un-stick the chips as they were drying out and to shift them to a slightly different position in the pan. (It's important not to sprinkle the sugar on the chips in the baking pan as the excess sugar may "glue" the chip down in the pan.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sorbet! I rarely make ice creams. That is a gorgeous plate, ludja! I'm happy to hear you share my enthusiasm for the pairing. I think it's one of those magical combinations that just "pop" with so much intensity on the palate. I'm continually shocked; and I think that's a key ingredient to creating memories within the culinary world.

• 2 months later...

Cinnamon. Yeah, yeah, I know, you're thinking "but cinnamon ice cream already exists, I've had it!" Yeah, me too. In restaurants. But I have NEVER EVER seen it for sale at the grocery store. NEVER!!! I know Blue Bell makes it. But it's not available at any grocery I've ever been to here in Orlando. WHY NOT? Doesn't every one else like it too?

Chubby Hubby. They've already made it. I'm addicted. The only tweak I'd make is that it be a touch saltier.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Prune armagnac ice cream...too much to hope for. :smile:  :laugh:

My ex and I made a huge jar (at his persuading) of dried organic plums in a high quality armagnac. They've been soaking in that liquor for the last 2 years and I never even thought to use them, not knowing quite what to do with them. I'm sure they're still good, considering the amount of armagnac that was used.

So they're good on ice cream? Tell me more. I'd like to use them.

John

As Pan said, he was referring to Prune-Armagnac Ice Cream, although I'm sure yours would be great just chopped and served on top of (or smooshed into) some good vanilla ice cream, with just a bit of the armagnac. I've used Paula Wolfert's recipe for Prune-Armagnac Ice Cream, from The Cooking of Southwest France, and it's absolutely wonderful. If you like, PM me and I'll send you the recipe.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Cinnamon. Yeah, yeah, I know, you're thinking "but cinnamon ice cream already exists, I've had it!"  Yeah, me too. In restaurants. But I have NEVER EVER seen it for sale at the grocery store. NEVER!!! I know Blue Bell makes it. But it's not available at any grocery I've ever been to here in Orlando. WHY NOT? Doesn't every one else like it too?

Actually Haagen-Daaz makes a very good cinnamon. It is typically available in Mega Marts around the holidays, but one of the Haagan-Daaz shops may have it- or might be able to get it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last two weeks I have tried Vermonty Python, ( fantastic) Neopolitan Dynamite ( Cherry Garcia and chocolate, what more could one want?) The Godfather and Irish Mudslide. There was one other that I can't remember but it was a fun adventure in ice cream. Not a bad one in the bunch! :biggrin:

I have and it is GOOOOOD.

I would go as far to say that it is better then the Mayan Chocolate.

Not too sweet, just enough spice to keep it from being cloying. I would like there to be more chunks of cake- but there is a pretty fair amount in there.

If this becomes part of the normal line I would be very happy.

• 4 weeks later...

They've got it down to 5:

http://www.benjerry.com/scoop_shops/dousaflavor/index.cfm

"Robin Thorneycroft, 25, of Richmond, B.C., who suggested a flavor she calls Italian Renaissance, made of amaretto liqueur ice cream, cherry chunks and sliced almonds.

Timothy Link, 36, of Troy, Idaho, whose suggestion was Mojito, a lime-based sherbet with mint, brown sugar and rum added in.

Kerstin Karlhuber, 25, of Boston, whose Wackie Chan would be sweet cream and ginger-flavored ice cream, with chocolate-covered fortune cookie bits and fudge swirl.

Tasha Callister, 26, of Jackson, Fla., whose Puttin' on a Ritz would consist of vanilla ice cream, caramel and Ritz crackers.

Reina Chilton, 26, of Tempe, Ariz., who recommended "ApricotAbra," a mix of apricot chunks, dark chocolate, vanilla ice cream and tart apricot preserves. "

The Italian Renaissance combo sounds very good. I think it would be good with either cherries or apricots.

enjoy!

N.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Bananas Foster Cheesecake -- cheesecake ice cream with caramelized bananas, pecans, graham cracker chunks, and a caramel/cinnamon swirl. Oh, and some rum and banana liqueur.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

It would be a flavor called Hudson Valley Vanilla.

Foie Gras in Vanilla with Prunes. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...it would sell maybe only 3 in the country.

Then Ben would kill Jerry for an idiotic idea. But at least I would have my favorite flavor.

You know, I really liked a lemon ice cream we made at home many years ago. I made it with cream and not so much sugar, eggs too. I wish that I had the journal that I had written it up in! I thought of it today. That rich and creamy ice cream was good on a graham cracker. That would be a truly decadent and rocking flavor to find somewhere! I wager there is a lemon gelato available, somewhere. When I get out of the house again, I'm going to look for that.

So, here's my suggestion for this thread, which has about a hundred favorite flavors for my dream ice cream case already. Ultra creamy Lemon and Graham Swirl. Someone else can tweak it and name it, I'm too addlepated these days.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

You know, I really liked a lemon ice cream we made at home many years ago. I made it with cream and not so much sugar, eggs too. I wish that I had the journal that I had written it up in! I thought of it today. That rich and creamy ice cream was good on a graham cracker. That would be a truly decadent and rocking flavor to find somewhere! I wager there is a lemon gelato available, somewhere. When I get out of the house again, I'm going to look for that.

So, here's my suggestion for this thread, which has about a hundred favorite flavors for my dream ice cream case already. Ultra creamy Lemon and Graham Swirl. Someone else can tweak it and name it,  I'm too addlepated these days.

Rebecca, I was thinking of something just like this, but with a blueberry compte swirl! My mom's favorite potluck bring-along is a really mock cheesecake made with frozen lemonade concentrate, whipped cream (well, ok, Cool Whip) powdered sugar, and cream cheese, in a graham cracker crust with blueberries or blueberry sauce as a bottom layer (btwn the crust and creamy filling, if that makes sense). It's just kind of what summer picnics mean to me. :wub: I think a really creamy lemon ice cream or gelato would be heaven! Too many are grainy or sorbet-like. Maybe a lemon/cream cheese base?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Blueberries is a great flavor addition! But, I'd rather have a blueberry compote than fresh. The sweetness and cooked richness of a compote, swirled in alongside the graham cracker swirls... very doable!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Baskin Robbins had a flavor called "Tutti Frutti" that I had to pick up 40 containers of for a big party at the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club in the summer of 1967.

That was some fine ice cream! There was plenty leftover from the party, so we club house crew got to eat as much of it as we wanted. Already paid for and everything!

Love to see Haagen Daz do a rendition of it!

doc