• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Fantasy Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs Flavor

Jason Perlow

I was recently in Amsterdam and stopped in at the Haagen-Dazs located in the shopping mall on Kalverstraat. They had one particularly interesting flavor which I had not seen before in the US, and so I was forced to try just one scoop in a cup. The exact name escapes me, but it was something like "Banatoffini" or thereabouts. And to think they say smoking marijuana causes memory loss! Bah! However, I do remember clearly it was banana ice cream with a macadamia nut and toffee swirl. That ice cream flavor was really, really, really delicious!!!

I was recently in Amsterdam and stopped in at the Haagen-Dazs located in the shopping mall on Kalverstraat. They had one particularly interesting flavor which I had not seen before in the US, and so I was forced to try just one scoop in a cup. The exact name escapes me, but it was something like "Banatoffini" or thereabouts. And to think they say smoking marijuana causes memory loss! Bah! However, I do remember clearly it was banana ice cream with a macadamia nut and toffee swirl. That ice cream flavor was really, really, really delicious!!!

That sounds like it was probably Banoffee (banana + toffee)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

yeah, sounds like banoffi, and as lexy says, a delish mixture of toffee and bananas. usually a bonoffi is made into a pie, ie a layer of toffee made from boiling evaporated milk, a layer of banana, a topping of whipped cream, all in a graham/digestive biscuit crust. oh and a sprinkling of chocolate on top.

a big scoop of both dulce de latte and banana ice cream, and a sprinkling of chocolate along with a few crumbled digestive biscuits would probably come close.

wish i had a bowlful now.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Every year around mid-March to end of April the maple sap starts running & of course that means lots of maple syrup around these parts of the woods. There's a small ice cream store (2 actually) called Bilboquet & for a short period of time they offer up an ice cream called "Tire a l'erable" which translates to maple pull or really maple taffy. It's maple ice cream with thick maple syrup swirled throughout. A litre of the stuff goes for $15.50 Canadian & there was a 2 hour wait last Sunday to get a cone. But if you only want a litre you can go straight to the cash & bypass the people in line. For those not familar, the real "tire a l'erable" is a spring ritual in Quebec - take one large wooden trough, fill it up with shaved ice & for a looney a guy who looks like he just stepped out of the 19th century, pours hot maple syrup spread out onto the ice; with a popsicle stick you then collect the still warm but hardening maple syrup & eat. And you don't have to head out into the countryside where they produce the syrup, just head over to Jean Talon or Atwater markets & check it out yourself. True test of whether or not you have any dental cavities! This ice cream really rocks. :biggrin:

A very dense blueberry!

Years ago, I bought a pint of B&J Maine Blueberry ice cream. It had whole blueberries in blueberry ice cream. Simply put, it was the best ice cream I've ever had. It could have been a limited production ice cream because I have never seen it since. :sad:

I don't have an entire ice cream flavor planned, but some flavors I enjoy are lychee, coffee, persimmon, azuki, tea, sweet potato, banana, almond, (toasted) pine nut, and ginger.

Obviously, I wouldn't want all of those mixed together, but maybe some could be mixed well.

Any of you remember a round red candy called "atomic fireball"? (at least that is my recollection or the name). It a round hard candy coated red and inside was white. The taste was a combination of really hot and sweet.

I think an ice creme manufacturer should go for that taste. Not suggesting that they put pieces of the candy in ice cream but to replicate the flavor (that hot and sweet taste) in ice cream.

Yum.

Soup

• 2 weeks later...

A really good ginger ice cream, and a really good cinnamon ice cream, each very rich with some serious bite to them. They'd be superb accompaniments to fruit crisps and cobblers.

Soup, I once ate ice cream made with red hots at a restaurant in Williamsburg. Awesome. Cold, sweet and made my mouth burn all at the same time. Would kill to eat it again. :smile:

I used to frequent an ice cream store in Ashland Oregon (right there on the corner by the fountain -- I don't remember the name.) Anyway, they had perhaps one of my all time favorite flavors -- "Sweet Cream" which was simply ice cream with no flavoring at all in it. Hagaan Daz's Pistachio is close in flavor since the pistachios don't impart a very strong flavor. It was wonderful since it was a very clean flavor. It is too bad the original owners sold the store -- now they don't make all their own ice creams anymore though they still make their own candy and fudge.

French Vanilla -- with lots of vanilla. I've never been a big fan of vanilla ice cream until I made my own. In it, I used lots of tahitian vanilla (extract from: http://www.vanilla.com) and vanilla ice cream went from boring to WOW, THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!! I wish that someone would make a vanilla ice cream that was really flavored with vanilla rather than just the hint of vanilla that seems to infuse most vanilla ice creams.

Kulfi -- A traditional Indian ice cream with cardamom and cashews. I did this a few times and it is incredible.

Hagaan Daz's Deep Chocolate Fudge. They used to make this. Most chocolate ice creams are wimpy -- esepcially if you are a chocolate lover like I am. They used to have a super dark / rich chocolate ice cream with a chocolate fudge swirl. It's been over 10 years since they made it and when I see Hagaan Daz in the store, I still look for it.

Tangerine -- I've done some incredible tangerine ice cream using tangerine oil. It is really good and a lot of fun to give to people. Most people can't figure out what flavor it is. They are usually guessing orange or lemon but know that neither is right. The tangerine gives it a nice floral / citrusy flavor that is hard to beat.

-Art

Edited by Art (log)

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

I used to frequent an ice cream store in Ashland Oregon (right there on the corner by the fountain -- I don't remember the name.)  Anyway, they had perhaps one of my all time favorite flavors -- "Sweet Cream" which was simply ice cream with no flavoring at all in it.  Hagaan Daz's Pistachio is close in flavor since the pistachios don't impart a very strong flavor.  It was wonderful since it was a very clean flavor.  It is too bad the original owners sold the store -- now they don't make all their own ice creams anymore though they still make their own candy and fudge.

French Vanilla -- with lots of vanilla. I've never been a big fan of vanilla ice cream until I made my own. In it, I used lots of tahitian vanilla (extract from: http://www.vanilla.com) and vanilla ice cream went from boring to WOW, THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!! I wish that someone would make a vanilla ice cream that was really flavored with vanilla rather than just the hint of vanilla that seems to infuse most vanilla ice creams.

Slightly off-topic, but Herrell's, in Massachusetts, still makes Sweet Cream ice cream. I've eaten it several times at their Northampton store. I also love their espresso ice cream. They also make a "Private Stock Vanilla" that may be close to the one you make. Their web site says they'll overnight their ice cream on dry ice to "almost anywhere." The info is in the fourth question on the FAQ page.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Butter Macadamia. Like Butter Pecan or Butter Brickle, but better.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

CAPRESE, done in any of a variety of ways:

Tomato-basil sorbet with swirl of balsamic and 'morsels' of fresh mozz.

Basil-mozz ice cream with swirl of balsamic and tomato pieces.

...hmm, can't come up with any more at the moment that don't just involve mashing all the flavors together.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

How about a B&J flavor for a Jewish (dairy) meal?

Chopped up Joyva Jelly Rings, marble Halvah, coconut macaroons, and chocolate "Babka Swirl" ice cream.

You could call it "Passover Plotz" and sell it during the holidays. Or do a soymilk version to make it Pareve and call it "Soy Gevalt".

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Or do a soymilk version to make it Pareve and call it "Soy Gevalt".

Ah yes, Ben & Jewry do kosher ice creams for Yom Tov :huh: ... actually, all kidding aside, for the observant: I had a taste of a Nestle kosher for Passover ice cream which was relatively decent .. at least it didn't set off a gag response as others do ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Or do a soymilk version to make it Pareve and call it "Soy Gevalt".

Ah yes, Ben & Jewry do kosher ice creams for Yom Tov :huh: ... actually, all kidding aside, for the observant: I had a taste of a Nestle kosher for Passover ice cream which was relatively decent .. at least it didn't set off a gag response as others do ... :hmmm:

I can't say I've had a non-Dairy frozen dessert that wasn't a sorbet that I've particularly liked.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

coffee ice cream, chocolate covered coffee beans, sambuca

Thats a good combo. Would it be the Sambuca Caffe flavor or the classic Sambuca?

How about a B&J flavor for a Jewish (dairy) meal?

Chopped up Joyva Jelly Rings, marble Halvah, coconut macaroons, and chocolate "Babka Swirl" ice cream.

You could call it "Passover Plotz" and sell it during the holidays. Or do a soymilk version to make it Pareve and call it "Soy Gevalt".

Since we're on the topic of punny flavors...

How about an ice cream flavored with Israeli liqueur called, "Hava Tequila" ?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Actually an Israeli or middle eastern flavor would be cool, but the current political environment would probably nix it.

I'd like to see something Halvah flavored, perhaps with a chocolate fudge and pistachio combo, maybe with dates. Or a Pomegranete sorbet.

[quote name=natasha1270' date='Feb 23 2006, 03:43 PM

edit to add: Does anyone remember the Holy Cannoli ice cream they had many years ago? Ricotta ice cream, pistachios & chocolate covered cannoli fragments. I still dream of it.

I must admit I still trawl the B&J isle looking for it...

we *must* bring this one back!!! :biggrin:

As far as on topic, when I was a kid I pitched them "Ticonda roca", a white chocolate ice cream with almond roca chunks in it. They did say no, but at least I got a real signature on my denial note...made my day as a 12 year old.

Edited by missmaia (log)

Caramel ice cream with a salted peanut butter swirl and a deep, dark chocolate fudge swirl.

No chunks, however plenty of small chips of buttery burnt sugar throughout.

Nothing large enough to chew like toffee, but small enough to just crunch a little on the soft palate before melting away. Kind of like the texture Maldon salt crystals.