• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Fantasy Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs Flavor

Jason Perlow

My Fantasy Flavor would be called "Retro Chinese-American Restaurant Happy Ending". It would be a superpremium green pistachio ice cream, with chocolate-covered black cherries, almond cookie chunks, chocolate fortune cookie peices, and lychee/kumquat swirls. The ultimate flavor to conclude an Asian-themed meal, and it would come in a spoof totally goofy 1960's bright red and white paper chinese soup container with pagodas and chinese women carrying parasols.

Oooooh ... I could really get behind a super-decadent pistachio ice cream like this.

edit to add: Does anyone remember the Holy Cannoli ice cream they had many years ago? Ricotta ice cream, pistachios & chocolate covered cannoli fragments. I still dream of it.

Wow, I'm bummed that I totally missed this flavor--I would have grooved on it too. (I don't get ice cream very often, and when I do it's usually from the supermarket, so I miss a lot of the B&J flavors you can usually only find in their stores).

A flavor I'd like to see: many moons ago in Boston, my friends and I happened to discover this one joint in Chinatown that made ginger ice cream studded with a bazillion chunks of very fresh candied ginger. The flavor and texture of this stuff was *awesome*. I'd like to see B&J replicate that, with maybe a couple of additional gild-the-lily touches--maybe some citrus and almond flavors, as in Jason's creation; or how about a little lemongrass? (They'd have to use the more tender bits of lemongrass in the middle of the stalk, or perhaps just go with a lemongrass essence).

I toured the B&J factory in Vermont while on vacation there last December. They said the Cool Brittania flavor caused them no end of problems--something about the fruit pieces never came out consistently, and they pitched (well, gave away to workers) many many batches of the stuff. This helped lead to its demise.

So there is room for another one! How about Earl Grey tea with little round biscuits and a sherry-flavored ripple? Or Stilton with a port flavored ripple?

^I've had roquefort ice-cream and browned butter ice-cream and they were awesome! The pastry chef at Feenie's (whom I've had the honour of assisting) makes amazing ice-creams with really interesting flavours. She also does caramel/fleur de sel and Guiness/dark chocolate, plus many more!

I love the idea of the carrot cake ice-cream, and the creamy marscapone idea with the extra eggs (very creative!)...mmm. And chestnut ice-cream! Oh god...dreamy!

I would love crunchy shards of pecans encrusted in goat milk caramel with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Or hazelnut cardamom.

Sweet potato ice-cream with huge chunks of buttery graham crust mixed in.

Lemon tart ice-cream--lemon ice-cream with a thick ribbon of lemon curd, and chunks of graham crust or shortbread crust. That would be awesome covered in billowy Italian meringue, and torched.

Gingerbread ice-cream with rum-soaked raisins.

You know the coconut filling in those Chinese cocktail buns? That would be frickin' amazing in vanilla bean ice-cream. The filling is salty and buttery, and the ice-cream would offer cool, creamy relief.

Torino Winter Olympic Giandujotto: Dark Chocolate and ground, roasted Hazelnuts

Nice idea, but I'm leaning more towards a 'Nutellato'- milkier w/ hazelnut paste.

And definitely made by Haagen Daz.

Most importantly, though, my 'Nutellato' would have no affiliation with the Winter Olympics for fear that it might be discontinued once the Olympics were over. This stuff better be around forever.

This long gone ice cream parlour from my youth made an amazing german chocolate cake ice cream.

It was super creamy chocolate ice cream laced with honey, shredded coconut and pieces of chocolate fudge.

Then again, maybe it's best they don't make it! I'd be a piggin out.

It was sooo good.

---------------------------------------

White Truffle, à la Sweets & Savories.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

What a mouth-watering thread!

My fantasy flavours would be:

Watermelon balsamic

White chocolate pomegrenate "caviar"

I would go for a lot of these suggestions as well, but those last two sound really good.

I came up with another one (aside: I seem to have Indian food on the brain lately. I'll have to rectify that somehow)-

Butter Cashew with saffron threads and white raisins, sold in a stainless steel container, of course (since we're blowing $$$ on the saffron to begin with :wink: )

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Peppermint Sitck.  Not some kind of chocolate peppermint crap, but just pure peppermint stick/candy cane ice cream.  It's so hard to find nowadays, even at Christmastime, and I'm just a simple girl at heart...

I'm with you on this. I always love good peppermint ice cream, and as you say, no chocolate or artificial, gooey swirls of something red or green...

Nice idea, but I'm leaning more towards a 'Nutellato'- milkier w/ hazelnut paste.

Most importantly, though, my 'Nutellato' would have no affiliation with the Winter Olympics for fear that it might be discontinued once the Olympics were over. This stuff better be around forever.

Name change ok, but don't take away my dark chocolate! :smile: The flavor I'm thinking of is closer to an Italian Baci truffle rather than Nutella.

Another dark chocolate flavor I'd like to see: Smooth dark chocolate and orange studded with cacao nibs.

Good butterscotch or dark caramel ice cream with chocolate nibs.

(Dr Bob's handcrafted ice cream has some cacao nib ice creams and they are great.)

I like the almond and cherry ideas... toasted almond with cherries. (no chocolate, please, for this version)

A smooth key lime ice cream.

A Meyer lemon ice cream. It would be great to have the scent of Meyer Lemons just a purchasable carton away, anywhere in the US... :smile:

Like others, I would be really psyched to see variious high quality tea ice creams offered by HD or B&J's as well. Early Grey, Green Tea, Thai Ice Tea, etc.

Most of these are more along the Haagen Daz style but the Toasted Almond and Cherry could be a Ben and Jerry's candidate.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Name change ok, but don't take away my dark chocolate! :smile: The flavor I'm thinking of is closer to an Italian Baci truffle rather than Nutella.

A Baci truffle, huh? Hmmm... I like Baci truffles, but I much more partial to the smoother (and milkier) Godiva open oyster. I guess I could probably survive with a dark chocolate hazelnut ice cream as long as the hazelnuts were completely pulverized. The smallest piece of disernable hazelnut and I'd be out of there :wink: But, hey, if there's a market for Baci truffles AND Godiva open oysters, then a I'm sure there'd be a market for a milk AND a dark chocolate hazelnut ice cream.

I can picture it now, the two flavors on the shelf, co-existing in harmony :smile:

A Baci truffle, huh? Hmmm... I like Baci truffles, but I much more partial to the smoother (and milkier) Godiva open oyster. I guess I could probably survive with a dark chocolate hazelnut ice cream as long as the hazelnuts were completely pulverized. The smallest piece of disernable hazelnut and I'd be out of there :wink: But, hey, if there's a market for Baci truffles AND Godiva open oysters, then a I'm sure there'd be a market for a milk AND a dark chocolate hazelnut ice cream.

I can picture it now, the two flavors on the shelf, co-existing in harmony :smile:

Sounds good to me... :smile: I just finished a box of Baci chocolates so the flavor is really in my mind. I agree wth you about the texture though, even for the dark chocolate version I would like it smooth using hazelnut paste rather than chopped nuts. (in case reps from Haagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's are reading this thread and care... :smile: )

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

French Vanilla with Toblerone chunks.

Yum. Great idea.

Another nice option might be to flavor the whole ice cream as a Toblerone. For example, a chocolate honey or vanilla honey ice cream with roasted almonds or chopped nougat.

I may need to try this in my ice cream maker while waiting for this to show up on the shelves...

Another nice option might be to flavor the whole ice cream as a Toblerone. For example, a chocolate honey or vanilla honey ice cream with roasted almonds or chopped nougat.

I like that idea too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It wasn't B&J or HD, but a while back there was a company that made carrot cake ice cream (or was the frozen yogurt?) and it ruled. I don't know why it isn't a more popular flavor.

Baskin Robbins carries a carrot cake flavor in the summers, I think, seasonally, but it's creamy, lacking the mouthfeel of a slice of cake!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

It's not B&Js, but there's a gelato place near me [La Casa Gelato Website, sadly no list of flavours ] which rotates over 500 flavours [over 200 in store at any one time] and I swear I've seen about half of those wished for in this topic at one time or another - Baci and Toblerone; no problem. Try La Dua through Durian to Balsamic vinegar sorbet to Pear and gorgonzola to Mixed berries with jalapeno and on and on. Never had a bad one either, although there are lots I've never tried. They do have to stay in business, so there's lots of the more straightlaced stuff available.

If you're ever in the neighbourhood....

It's not B&Js, but there's a gelato place near me [La Casa Gelato Website, sadly no list of flavours ] which rotates over 500 flavours [over 200 in store at any one time] and I swear I've seen about half of those wished for in this  topic at one time or another -  Baci and Toblerone; no problem. Try  La Dua through Durian to Balsamic vinegar sorbet to Pear and gorgonzola to Mixed berries with jalapeno and on and on. Never had a bad one either, although there are lots I've never tried. They do have to stay in business, so there's lots of the more straightlaced stuff available.

If you're ever in the neighbourhood....

Derek, thanks for the link! I'm planning a visit to Vancouver this summer and I'll definitely check it out if I can...mmm, gelato.... :wub:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde