• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Fantasy Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs Flavor

Jason Perlow

In the spirit of the new Ben and Jerry's flavors for 2006, what would you like to see as a new flavor?

My Fantasy Flavor would be called "Retro Chinese-American Restaurant Happy Ending". It would be a superpremium green pistachio ice cream, with chocolate-covered black cherries, almond cookie chunks, chocolate fortune cookie peices, and lychee/kumquat swirls. The ultimate flavor to conclude an Asian-themed meal, and it would come in a spoof totally goofy 1960's bright red and white paper chinese soup container with pagodas and chinese women carrying parasols.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In the spirit of the new Ben and Jerry's flavors for 2006, what would you like to see as a new flavor?

My Fantasy Flavor would be called "Retro Chinese-American Restaurant Happy Ending". It would be a superpremium green pistachio ice cream, with chocolate-covered black cherries, almond cookie chunks, and lychee/kumquat swirls. The ultimate flavor to conclude an Asian-themed meal, and it would come in a spoof totally goofy 1960's bright red and white paper chinese soup container with pagodas and chinese women carrying parasols.

Oooh, oooh!!!! I'd buy it!

Years ago, I suggested Ben & Jerry's make a "Black Forest Torte" flavor: chocolate ice cream with cherries, chocolate chunks, and pieces of chocolate cake. They never took me up on it. Their loss!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

A few years back, I submitted this as an idea to Ben & Jerrys on their website:

Oh! Balsamico: Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream laced with a swirl of lightly sweetened Balsamic Vinegar and liberally studded with luscious strawberries. :wub:

Haven't seen any so far but hope springs eternal...

N.

edit to add: Does anyone remember the Holy Cannoli ice cream they had many years ago? Ricotta ice cream, pistachios & chocolate covered cannoli fragments. I still dream of it.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

A few years back, I submitted this as an idea to Ben & Jerrys on their website:

Oh! Balsamico: Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream laced with a swirl of lightly sweetened Balsamic Vinegar and liberally studded with luscious strawberries.  :wub:

Haven't seen any so far but hope springs eternal...

N.

edit to add: Does anyone remember the Holy Cannoli ice cream they had many years ago? Ricotta ice cream, pistachios & chocolate covered cannoli fragments. I still dream of it.

I'd buy that. And yes, I was a huge fan of Holy Cannoli. They also retired Cool Brittania at about the same time, I really liked that one.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Does anyone remember the Holy Cannoli ice cream they had many years ago? Ricotta ice cream, pistachios & chocolate covered cannoli fragments. I still dream of it.

Loved Holy Cannoli. Also loved Apple Pie and Peanuts Popcorn. Cool Britannia was great too.

One of my favorites was Coconut Almond Fudge, which tasted just like an Almond Joy. I made the equivilent this summer, but also added bananas that I found hiding in my freezer.

I'm thinking Mallomar ice cream. We have a bakery here that uses chocolate wafers instead of a vanilla cookie, and they're so good! So maybe a dark, dark chocolate ice cream with chunks of marshmallow and chocolate wafers. Probably too similar to their S'mores or Marsha Marsha Marshmallow though.

Or Studio Kitchen's cauliflower ice cream? Now that may be interesting.

eta: and look very carefully at my avatar. That's my face in an ice cream box.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I have two:

They used to have a flavor called Totally Nuts. Well I'd like them to take a rich vanilla ice cream, swirled with dulce de leche, stir in the same nuts used for Totally Nuts and some pieces of the bacon brittle a la Daniel pictured below, post #49.

Daniel's Bacon Brittle

Also how about a five flavored/five layered spumoni concoction? Top layer chocolate with dark chocolate shavings, then pistachio, then cherry (both Bing and tart cherries), then either rum raisin or amaretto, finally capuccino. Whew! A real party in your mouth. :hmmm::biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I toured the B&J factory in Vermont while on vacation there last December. They said the Cool Brittania flavor caused them no end of problems--something about the fruit pieces never came out consistently, and they pitched (well, gave away to workers) many many batches of the stuff. This helped lead to its demise.

I'd like to see a bitter trifecta ice cream: chocolate/coffee/caramel, dark versions of each flavor somehow combined. No kid stuff.

Something along the line of almond maccaroons - almond flavored vanilla ice cream, small chunks of maccaroons, and preserved cherries.

Carrot cake.........vanilla/carrot ice cream, raisins, pineapple, coconut, and walnuts? Lots of cinnamon and a little nutmeg.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I'd like to see a bitter trifecta ice cream: chocolate/coffee/caramel, dark versions of each flavor somehow combined. No kid stuff.

What would you call it? Dark Lord?

Carrot cake.........vanilla/carrot ice cream, raisins, pineapple, coconut, and walnuts? Lots of cinnamon and a little nutmeg.

You know, that one crossed my mind as well. Perhaps with cream cheese icing swirls?

Chestnut ice cream with dark chocolate swirls or chips

Torino Winter Olympic Giandujotto: Dark Chocolate and ground, roasted Hazelnuts

Toasted Almond

(hmmm. the almond macaroons and cherries sounds nice as well)

edited to add: I wish Haagen Daz would bring back the Margarita Sorbet and maybe also create a Mojito Sorbet while they're at it... :smile: )

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Isn't there some sort of dark hot chocolate drink in Torino with a shot of espresso in it? I thought they showed it in some of the clips on NBC.

EDIT: Its called "Bicerin"

http://www.bicerin.it/eng/index.html

This historic drink of Turin, which has evolved from the eighteenth century bavareisa, was created right here in this caf of the same name which jealously guards the traditional recipe. Its an exquisite, hot drink- a mixture of espresso, chocolate ( the process is a well-guarded secret) and fresh cream.

That would be a very kick ass flavor. Definitely more along the lines of Haagen Dasz then B&J though.

Isnt there some sort of dark hot chocolate drink in Torino with a shot of espresso in it? I thought they showed it in some of the clips on NBC.

Yes, it's called an " il bicerin" and has layers of espresso, dark chocolate and frothed cream. Using dark chocolate might make a distinctive mocha ice cream...

(Description and recipe on David Lebovitz' site: Il Bicerin)

(cross post with Jason)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Brava! Truly inspired. I want some right now! And an espresso.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

My Fantasy Flavor would be called "Retro Chinese-American Restaurant Happy Ending".

And here I sit, remembering that movie, "Happy Endings." :blink:

Mine would be banana ice cream with fudge swirls and broken-up bits of fried wonton skins, for crunch. I would call it, "what Fabby fried herself for dessert last night." (banana-ganache wontons ... oooh, baby.)

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I've always thought that for Christmas festivities someone should do a Panettone ice cream but I need help: I struggle with what the base ice cream flavor should be to approximate the fluffy, bready/cakey goodness.

Once we get a base flavor, add candied orange/lemon/citron peel and currants (and/or raisins or sultanas).

Then a nice swirl that approximates crema di Marscarpone (mascarpone, eggs, and Amaretto) thoughout.

Put it in a Panettone-shaped container.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I've never had a chocolate, raspberry or strawberry swirl that had enough swirls in it. I'd like to see a reverse swirl in which there was just enough vanilla ice cream to separate thick swirls of fruit or chocolate. At least half of each, plus whatever.

Fudge & Marshmallow Swirl

Peach or Sour Cherry Swirl with pieces of soft almond macaroons or meringues

You could add nuts, but I don't like cold, hard chunks of things in ice cream. I prefer to have warm nuts toasted in butter (sometimes salted) on top.

Pannetone Ice Cream? I think Eggnog might do, it's Christmas-y too.

Or, if you're up to making it, see my Frozen Plum Pudding as a start.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

It wasn't B&J or HD, but a while back there was a company that made carrot cake ice cream (or was the frozen yogurt?) and it ruled. I don't know why it isn't a more popular flavor.

Based on a favorite simple dessert- how about a lemon gellato flavored with cardomom and featuring ribbons of raspberry syrup? I can just taste it now...

Or steal an idea from Indian kulfi and come up with 'cardomom crunchies" and put them throughout pistachio ice cream.

I love the cinnamon/chocolate combination as well. I'm sure somebody makes a Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream out there, but I wish I could find some on a regular basis. Maybe even fancied up a bit- chocolate ice cream with a cinnamon swirl, or even reversed cinnamon ice cream with a chocolate swirl.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

In the Clouds - my favourite yogurt is one mixed with cream cheese, cloudberries and honey - I bet it'd make a divine ice cream:) :wub:

I've had cloudberry ice cream in Stockholm. It didn't taste of honey but it was quite good.

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN