• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Radish consomme

sgfrank

Hi,

I am trying to make a radish consomme, to be served hot as a palate cleanser. I haven't been able to find any suggestions as to method, so my current plan is just to simmer some sliced radish in water, perhaps with some green onion for added kick. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to how I might produce a consomme with the maximum punch, and clean raddish flavour? Spice ideas to complement the radish? Anything?

Thanks,

Simon

I've never cooked a radish, so I'm not sure what the flavor would be like. Raw radishes have some punch though. Maybe make a white veal stock, and add a bunch of radish juice (made in a juicer and passed through cheesecloth as many times as you can stand) right before the clarification?

That's what I'd do as a jumping off point, but like I said, I never cooked a radish before, so.

Might also want to roast a radish or two to see how cooking affects their flavor profile before you get started. If they're really nasty when cooked, you may need to find ways to incorporate their raw flavor, as above.

I second angrykoala's radish water idea. I think cooking them would dilute the fresh hot slightly bitter flavour that makes radish what it is.

Adding veal stock would make it more palatable as a soup, but less of a palate cleanser IMHO.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I have used daikon radish in stir-fries a number of times. Daikon is a relatively mild-flavored radish to start with; cooked, its flavor gets even more mellow, and a little sweet, but still with a hint of its original radish-ness. It's actually quite nice, and I could well imagine it making a yummy soup. Because I associate it with stirfries, I'd be tempted to flavor such a soup with some Asian flavors--touches of soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, cilantro, etc.