• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Nibs

thegreatdane

Got a reply from patrick@chef-source.com

11010463 Cocoa Nibs, Felchlin, CA23,12/1KG $155

11010645 Cocoa Nibs, Maracaibo, Felchlin 12/1 KG $195

plus shipping

Too big on the amounts for me, but if anyone else orders them, can I buy a small amount? Catalogue at www.chef-source.com and he said he'll check the availability and pricing for Cru sauvage for me as well. That I might fork out the bucks for depending on the quantity.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

He also has Felchlin Cru Sauvage in stock. $559 a case plus shipping for 8/2.5 kg.

I'm questioning if that's what it is for that price but that's what was quoted to me and he said he has 15 cases in stock. Double checking on it.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

It is indeed what it is. Going to order a case and play. The thing that stood out to me with this chocolate when I had a bar in the house was a comment made to me that it takes only the smallest piece to totally satisfy a chocolate craving in a way that no other chocolate seems to satisfy. My roommate was nicking corners off it that were smaller that 1/2" an inch. Normally that wouldn't be enough to take care of the craving. To my mind, that makes it the perfect dieter's chocolate because you can mold it in very small pieces and have a piece each day. I might play with a seven day box similiar to the spa box of chocolates that are out there.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

• 1 year later...

Can anyone suggest some good cocoa nib recipes?

I have Alice Medrich's Bittersweet book, and there are a few in there....

I finally found a place to buy cocoa nibs in Vancouver. I seriously have never seen them anywhere else before... I found then in this Body Building store on Davie near Burrard. Seriously weird!

Here are some from my files that sound good (haven't tried these yet):

DEEP CHOCOLATE BROWNIES WITH NIBS *13th recipe listed

http://www.estarcion.com/gastronome

CHOCOLATE FEATHERWEIGHT COOKIES WITH WALNUTS AND COCOA NIBS

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2006/01/when...-to-dinner.html

Here's a savory recipe:

CITRUS COCOA-NIB SALAD *see last recipe listed

http://www.deliciouslivingmag.com/magazine...&articleid=1848

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

they are great added into florentine-type batters

infuse them into milk to make a white colored chocolate ice cream. delicious.

caramelize them and use them in chocolate candies

it is also wonderful added to toffee/buttercrunch recipes (think: cocoa-nib roca)

Caramelized Nibs

adapted from Recchiuti

175 g nibs

100 g sugar

10 grams butter

couple of tsp water

Put sugar and nibs in saute pan. Start to heat. Add a couple of tsp water as required to melt any lumps of sugar. Continue to heat, stirring frequently. They will get darker, but you want to continue to cook until you start to see a few puffs of smoke. Take off the heat and add the butter. This helps separate the clumps. Put out onto parchment paper separating clumps as much as possible.

As Alana mentioned these are great in chocolate candies. If you put them in a butter and chocolate only ganache - they stay crispy.

As Alana mentioned these are great in chocolate candies.

They're good in ice cream too! I've put them in many different flavors of ice cream (including Guinness).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Last week I made a crude batch of chocolate with my cocoa nibs. I have enough to make another batch. I put them thru my champion juicer and then a vitamix. I then made brownies with the chocolate and I am still getting great feedback about my brownies. I had El rey nibs that have been sitting in my cupboard for over 6 months. I like to chew on them as well! I found that there were lots of husk in the nibs which is hard on the teeth and doesn't taste to good. So that is why I made chocolate with them.

Last week I made a crude batch of chocolate with my cocoa nibs. I have enough to make another batch.  I put them thru my champion juicer and then a vitamix.  I then made brownies with the chocolate and I am still getting great feedback about my brownies.  I had El rey nibs that have been sitting in my cupboard for over 6 months.  I like to chew on them as well!  I found that there were lots of husk in the nibs which is hard on the teeth and doesn't taste to good. So that is why I made chocolate with them.

I have a Sumeet spice grinder and if you put the nibs in there and let them go for a couple of minutes you get chocolate liquor in no time.

I finally found a place to buy cocoa nibs in Vancouver. I seriously have never seen them anywhere else before... I found then in this Body Building store on Davie near Burrard.  Seriously weird!

I have found them at the Whole Foods in West Van.

I've made a sort of "Snickers" type bar with the nibs in caramel with nougat (though used a slightly different salted chocolate caramel recipe): http://habeasbrulee.com/2006/11/22/cocoa-n...er-nougat-bars/

I really liked the caramel with nibs - I found the nougat too sugary for my tastes - I'll make caramel with nibs again!

On my "to make list" I've also got this: Chocolate-caramel tart with drunken raspberries and vanilla creme fraiche http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/235176

which has cocoa nibs in the pastry.

Some great ideas here... about the husks, I didn't realize there were husks in the nibs. Is the nib not husk free?

I definitely like the chocolate nib caramel combination with some bigger salt granules. Maybe I can do something with Dorie's recipe for World Peace cookies e.g. sub some of the chips for nibs.

I need to get me some Fleur de sel!

I don't remember seeing nibs at the W. Van store. Are the relatively new? My mom used to work there so you think I'd remember such a thing....

Definitely will have to look at some of the sources linked here. While I don't dabble in confectionary too much, Cocoa nibs make an exciting ingredient in the brewing of beer --while I was doing homebrew supply for a living I developed a chocolate stout recipe that turned out quite well, using 6oz of cocoa nibs per 5gallon recipe. g

Schokinag Chocolate was kind enough to send me a sample to work with, I haven't the fogiest how they figure into the grand scheme of chocolate suppliers, but i got a good result, their nibs came in a semi coarse format, similar in consistency to kosher salt and lent a rich cocoa taste to the brew without destroying head retention (which comes from too much fat content)

The nibs I've found locally in whole foods stores were prohibitively priced in terms of the added cost compared to my other ingredients, so I've not made any more since I exhausted my sample, maybe now I can get into some of my other ideas (cherry chocolate melomels and more chocolate beers!)

Some great ideas here...  about the husks, I didn't realize there were husks in the nibs. Is the nib not husk free? 

Nibs are pieces of the larger cacao seed, or bean, that have had the shell, or testa, removed. However, you might still see a piece of shell here or there when you buy nibs. If you are finding a lot of shell in your nibs, then that is a problem, and you should probably let the manufacturer know.

Best,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Say hello to my friend John Nanci at chocolatealchemy.com and maybe check out some of his forastero beans.

Bitterness comes from non- or poorly fermented beans. If you want them REALLY bitter beans, get them raw and unfermented. How much do you need? And, what will you do with them? Perhaps I can help.

Tom

Theo chocolate is the only organic free trade maker of chocolate in the states and their cocoa nibs are great, very bitter and toasty.

I have been cooking with Sweet Earth chocolate (http://www.sweetearthchocolates.com/) They are based in the U.S., free trade and add no lecithin so you can make chocolate for your vegan friends. Just wanted to let you know there are others out there fighting the good fight for free trade chocolate.

Edited by sanantone (log)