• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food That Smells Like Feet: What Say You?

Fritos especially, but other corn chips and even Cheerios to a lesser extent, all smell like dogs' feet.

:blink: I didn't realize dogs' feet had an odor. I mean, I've encountered dogs with really bad all-over BO, but I never noticed any smell coming specifically from a dog's feet. Maybe that has to do with how few dogs are in my life. :biggrin:

My Stinky Feet Favorites:

Stinky Feet Sandwich:  Really good liverwurst (cheese optional, but I like havarti), raw onions, strong brown mustard, black bread.  Yum.

Have we had this conversation before, Ms. Diva? About that being one of my all-time favorite sandwiches too? My nickname for it is the Stinkbomb Special. :wub:

Another food that could be said to smell like stinky feet: fermented bean curd. I confess I found the smell a little daunting when I opened my first jar of the stuff, but now I associate that odor with serious yummy-ness. :wub:

And while we're at it ... I've known many people to comment negatively about the characteristic funky smell associated with the seafood departments of many Asian groceries. However, again I've grown to associate that funk with some mighty fine eating, so it don't scare me none. :biggrin:

This brings back memories. There was a girl in my 5th grade class who smelled like Fritos. Hated sitting by her on the bus.

I do love me some stinky cheese, but have never developed a taste for kimchee.

Smells like a locker room to me. I wish it were otherwise, but there it is.

I got an order of cheese from iGourmet today with some special stuff I had ordered for a cheese plate. One cheese I ordered especially for its description:

"Le Marechal is a raw cow's milk cheese produced in small batches in the town of Corcelles-aux-Payernes. Aged for 5 months, at the beginning of the third month the cheese is rubbed with Herbes de Provence (a blend of thyme, oregano and other country herbs) giving it a beautiful appearance and a wickedly spicy flavor. We were surprised by how strongly the herb flavor penetrates the rind, imparting their rustic flavor on the cheese. Reminiscent of Gruyere and Tete de Moine, Le Marechal is a new cheese that belongs among the classics."

We opened it today for a sample, looked at each other in amazement, and both said "it tastes like..." Oh dear. How shall I put this? What's a five letter term of affection for a cat that's not kitty? I'm going to serve it anyway, as it's actually delicious, in a special way, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to introduce it to my guests!

We opened it today for a sample, looked at each other in amazement, and both said "it tastes like..."  Oh dear.  How shall I put this?  What's a five letter term of affection for a cat that's not kitty?  I'm going to serve it anyway, as it's actually delicious, in a special way, but I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to introduce it to my guests!

Oh dear. I just thought of several different responses to this that would *not* be suitable for eGullet. :biggrin:

So ... let's just say that I, and a significant segment of my friends, would find this cheese to have a special attraction ... :shock::laugh:

^^I'm afraid to ask, but what exactly does toe jam taste/smell like?

Brad:

During a tasting of Brandy and various high alcohol beverages where "Cheryl Ladd" and other Charlie's Angel's were present we included "Mou Tai" the Chinese Alcohol Beverage that effected "Richard Nixon" during his visit to China.

The unanimous decision was that the beverage reminded everyone of the smell of "TOE CHEESE" so now you've got something else to add to your previous list.

Irwin

I don't know what it tastes like, sorry. But apparently it also smells like Mou Tai. Seriously, it's a term for the gunk under ones toenails.

feet don't actually smell.  the stuff that grows under toe nails for months on end does.  and it smells reeeeally tasty.

Thats Fromunda Cheese.

Growing up, "fromunda" usually meant from under somewhere else. I'll leave it at that. :smile:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

My Stinky Feet Favorites:

Stinky Feet Sandwich:  Really good liverwurst (cheese optional, but I like havarti), raw onions, strong brown mustard, black bread.  Yum.

Have we had this conversation before, Ms. Diva? About that being one of my all-time favorite sandwiches too? My nickname for it is the Stinkbomb Special. :wub:

Yes maybe we have had this conversation before mizducky. However, I'll see your Stinkbomb Special and raise it by adding egg salad, (homemade, of course) with or without the havarti. Extra stinky but yummy! :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

How about Limburger cheese? And the two Norwegian cheeses Pultost and Gammelost (I'm not sure if this was a joke, but supposedly, the traditional way to make the latter involved digging a hole on the ground in the barn, filling it with cheese and topping it off with cow dung. I know this sounds absurd, but it makes perfect sense when you experience the aroma of that thing for the first time...)

There's another weird Norwegian dish called Lutefisk, which is extremely stinky (codfish soaked in a salt water mixture that includes lye or something like that -- the fish actually becomes half transparent, and takes on a jello-like consistency. The only thing more amazing than its smell, is how this dish could ever have been created... I know the Chimmy Changa was "created" when a cook accidentally dropped a burrito in the deep fryer, but what kinda accident could have created Lutefisk? Did Olaf the fisherman go on a bender and drop a fish in a bucket of paint thinner or something?) People seem to either love it hate it. I hated it, but a collegue of mine loved it so much he bought a bunch of it frozen and had it sent home to California -- the poor wife was just in tears over the stench...