• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinot Noir and fois gras en torchon?

Aldous

Hi all,

As a relative neophyte when it comes to food and wine pairing, I thought I'd ask around on these forums for some advice on an upcoming dinner party.

I have as the main components of a dish a pomegranate-cured duck breast and a slice of foie gras prepared en torchon. The dominant flavours in the duck are, other than pomegranate, anise and a bit of spice from szechwan peppercorns. It is served with a pomegrante glaze, which is basically a thick pomegranate syrup.

The wine that I proposed to serve with this is a 2003 Macrostie Pinot Noir Carneros (Carneros is the vine region the wine is made from, which merely distinguishes it from Macrostie's other releases).

What is your take on serving foie, even though it is not the main component, with a pinot noir? I haven't tasted the wine, unfortunately, but I have had the duck with another pinot noir and it seems to my rather untrained palate a good rendition of the classic pinot-duck pairing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Aldous

Edited by Aldous (log)

I like the pairing :biggrin: Carmeros Pinot's work well with duck and I think the foie gras will only enhance the subtle earthy notes in the Pinot. Let us know how it works.

Stephen

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Sounds pretty good.

I also believe that Pinot Noir is probably the single most versatile red wine for food pairing.

key factor is the type of Pinot.

This dish is definitely made for a vibrant young pinot with some richness.

let us know how it worked fore you!