• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alexandria eats

I'm going to be near the King Street Metro area of Alexandria on Friday for an interview. I probably won't have time for lunch but was hoping to get some dinner before I head back to the airport. I'm not sure if I'm going to have time to go into DC, so I'm looking for some new eats. Right now it looks like I'll either be staying around that Metro Stop or heading up Old Town.

I'm not really looking for anything fancy. If I was going into town, I'd probably stop at Old Ebbitt or Lindy's...if I was heading over to Clarendon, maybe Boulevard wood grill. I guess for some reason i'm leaning toward burgers or pub fare.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to be near the King Street Metro area of Alexandria on Friday for an interview. I probably won't have time for lunch but was hoping to get some dinner before I head back to the airport. I'm not sure if I'm going to have time to go into DC, so I'm looking for some new eats. Right now it looks like I'll either be staying around that Metro Stop or heading up Old Town.

I'm not really looking for anything fancy. If I was going into town, I'd probably stop at Old Ebbitt or Lindy's...if I was heading over to Clarendon, maybe Boulevard wood grill. I guess for some reason i'm leaning toward burgers or pub fare.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a bit of time to kill and want something a bit more adventurous than hamburgers, I'd head to either Majestic Cafe or Restaurant Eve. Both are up King Street from the metro. Majestic Cafe is new southern and Restaurant Eve is noveau American (if you can apply a label to what Cathal A. creates). Majestic is a bit more casual, Eve is more 'edgy'.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

Based on your criteria, I'd recommend "Annabelle's" in the Holiday Inn Old Town Select. It's the bar/lounge and has pub fare for very cheap, as well as happy hour offerings. You can take the Dash or free Dash About if available, both from the King. St. metro, down King St.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hpt/AXEOT

Also down King st, closer to the metro is Hard Times Chili. Good both for chili and burgers.

http://www.hardtimes.com/

Right across from the King St. metro is Joe Theisman's, which has pub fare galore and you can't beat the convenience.

http://www.joetheismanns.com/Menu/menu.html

Edited by monavano (log)

What's very close and may seem very tempting is Casablanca Restaurant, but for goodness' sake DON'T GO THERE! I remember eating there many years ago (about 10 years or so) and loved the food at lunch. You could purchase a lunch salad plate with something like seven/eight different salads: eggplant, beet, zucchini, chopped salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and parsley), potato, carrot, green bean, lentil, plus you could also order anything else from the menu. Later they added a buffet which had a lot of tasty items on it--couscous, a chicken dish, a vegetable dish, rice for a really good price. Also brought to the table was loaves of Moroccan bread, mint tea (or you could choose to have coffee, soda, water, beer/wine was offered as well I think), butter and, when requested, harissa. :wub: Then I and my friend/co-worker noticed that things seemed to change; more Middle-Eastern (which I love) appetizers like hummus, tabbouleah, etc. and less Moroccan style apps, and the main dish items seemed to slip a bit. The staff was always so nice and helpful at that time as well, very nice people. I always liked dining there. After a job change which took me away from that area several years later a good friend whose tastes I really trust, told me that her experience was not a good one: mediocre food, limited choices, etc., unhelpful/rude staff which falls in line with recent online reviews of the place, such as these:

Casablanca Restaurant Reviews

Note that one of the reviews is very recent one commenting on a 2006 Valentines' Day dinner.

As was mentioned upthread, I've always liked Joe Thiesmann's, especially their burgers, French onion soup, mashed potatoes (complete with lumps) and their thick, juicy pork chops have always been delectable (I'd skip the so-called cajun seasoned pork chops and just get the regularly seasoned ones).

Good eating. :smile:

Edited for grammar and additional comments.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Chef Jay Cox at the Morrison House was one of my CIA kids when I was at The Ryland Inn a few years ago. I am sure his cuisine is refined. I have not dined there yet but I m sure that his heart goes into his cuisine. They do have a nice lunch I was told.

As was mentioned upthread, I've always liked Joe Thiesmann's,

Strange that this place would be getting any love around here, and granted I haven't been in years, but I remember having several better than decent meals at Thiesmann's as well.

Bill Russell

Strange that this place would be getting any love around here, and granted I haven't been in years, but I remember having several better than decent meals at Thiesmann's as well.

I ate there once and had (I believe) a perfectly competent burger. I can't remember what Mrs JPW had, but remember being satisfied with the meal overall in a "now I'm fueled up and ready to go" way.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 2 weeks later...

I would skip Theismann's and walk down King Street to Vermilion.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Where did you eat?

well, despite the interview running an hour longer than anticipated, i was able to get into dc and stop at lindy's red lion for a burger and some cheese fries. thankfully, i was able to get in and out quickly because i didn't have much time to haul @ss back to reagan.

oh, and i found out today that i didn't get the job...