• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miele Coffee "Center"

FabulousFoodBabe

I find nothing -- but nothing -- about these, review-wise. I know no one who has one. Are they expensive or hard to maintain? Are they worth the $$; do they last? The company has been selling them for about 5 years, but I dont' know anyone, anywhere, who'se had experience with one.

Again I turn to you, kind eG people who are currently holding my hand through the refrigeration selection. I do like my press pot, but Mr. FFB won't use it.

Thanks in advance --

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I have no personal experience with that brand but in short - you're buying a superauto espresso machine and paying a high premium for the built-in" aspect of it.

The pros and cons of building in such a device have been discussed to some extent in this thread

Home Builder, Thinking of Coffeee Bar Upgrade

Superauto espress machines in general have limitations. For the $2K you're looking at for the Miele plus the cost of building it in... you could get an excellent "pro-sumer" espresso machine and a top shelf grinder. Such an outfit will deliver far better results than an superauto could - even the $5,000 units.

But that assumes one has an interest in learning the proper use, process and techniques. If you'd be using the Miele to make Americano style beverages (an espresso with hot water added) it would make more sense to instead get a high quality pod machine like a Keurig or a Bunn and stick it in an appliance garage.

The reasons you can't find any reviews of the Miele product include the fact that their espresso / coffeee equipment is not widely sold in the US and also that serious espresso enthusiasts would not consider using a built-in.

If you do look for a super-auto unit in the $1,000 to $2,000 price range I think Jura might be a good place to start (and finish for that matter).

While shopping for kitchen appliances the sales women made us a cappuccino with the Miele built in espresso machine. The espresso was poor but many factors must be taken into account. I've been told the Miele has Saeco parts and my personal opinion is that it looks cool but you could buy some seriously good espresso equipment for the price of this mediocre super auto.

My uncle in the U.K. has a built-in Miele; not by choice but as part of the London flat he purchased. It looks beautiful, makes a good espresso, but in his opinon is no better than the free-standing Saeso that he paid $400 pounds for. He also mentioned it is annoying to clean.

Stephen

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG