• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gusto

Zip

Went there for restaurant week this year and had a very nice lunch. I would particularly recommend the fried baccala with aioli.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I've had several very good meals at Gusto, most recently about three weeks ago at the bar. Loved the focaccia (topped with seasonal fruit - figs/pears), the tomato salad in summer. Very good slow roasted pork, meatballs and risotto, didn't love the pappardelle con cinghiale. I recall reading recently that the chef is/was leaving, not sure if that happened yet and what impact it might have.

I've had several very good meals at Gusto, most recently about three weeks ago at the bar.  Loved the focaccia (topped with seasonal fruit - figs/pears), the tomato salad in summer.  Very good slow roasted pork, meatballs and risotto, didn't love the pappardelle con cinghiale.  I recall reading recently that the chef is/was leaving, not sure if that happened yet and what impact it might have.

Oh no.. does anyone know more about this?

I've had several very good meals at Gusto, most recently about three weeks ago at the bar.  Loved the focaccia (topped with seasonal fruit - figs/pears), the tomato salad in summer.  Very good slow roasted pork, meatballs and risotto, didn't love the pappardelle con cinghiale.  I recall reading recently that the chef is/was leaving, not sure if that happened yet and what impact it might have.

Oh no.. does anyone know more about this?

I read a posting about the chef leaving a few days before my meal, which was the last week in January. It didn't seem to affect my meal, so I would be willing to give it another shot (particularly if they are still serving the baccala.) :wub:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I read a posting about the chef leaving a few days before my meal, which was the last week in January.  It didn't seem to affect my meal, so I would be willing to give it another shot (particularly if they are still serving the baccala.)  :wub:

has it been confirmed anywhere that the brilliant chef Jody Williams has left gusto? one one hand, i'm looking forward to wherever she is going. on the other hand, i'd like some reliable confirmation.

Jody Williams is moving on to a new Keith McNally project in the West Village (apparently it will be an osteria not a brassiere)...I don't know if she has officially left the Gusto kitchen as of yet...but regardless I imagine that she's probably occupied with menu planning for the new restaurant.

This one is new to me. Have heard a few good things... now i am bringing it to the experts. Any opinions??

Thanks.

The food is great! It's a lively fun place, however at weekends it's very busy so be prepared! Well worth it! The place is written up in this month's issue of F&W. As for Chef Jody leaving - nope it's only a rumour! BC

I had a horrible meal there the other day (a thurs)

The staff was fantastic and really on top of it, but the food was sorely lacking. I think it's really just a sub-par but good enogh restaurant. We had the codfish fritters (pretty good, but covered in some sort of mayo gloop that was just all over them, it really should have been on the side or applied sparingly. then we had the meatballs and the linguine with clams.

The matballs were as had as rocks and really crusty on the outside, they were clearly made with not enough filler, which makes for a nice light meatball. they looked as if they had been sitting is some hotel pan for days, and then sauced and thrown at our table...yick and expensive too.

The linguini was fine, not good, not great but fine. The catch there were perhaps four bites of pasta in the tiny bowl, there were many clams (which was nice, they were cooked well, but no pasta..what the hell? the sauce was also thin and without much discernable flavour.

the room was nice, loud and waht i imagine some people to consifer village/meatpacking hip (too much sex and the city)

This restaurant was a shame. I was really excited, as it's very close to my house, but it was a total letdown. The upside was that the food was not inedible and the cocktails looked nice, so if a friend were to suggest it i wouldn't sneer, maybe just sigh...

sorry for the bad spelling I'm out the door...sorry to burst the bubble, I was excited too...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

The staff was fantastic and really on top of it, but the food was sorely lacking. I think it's really just a sub-par but good enogh restaurant. We had the codfish fritters (pretty good, but covered in some sort of mayo gloop that was just all over them, it really should have been on the side or applied sparingly. then we had the meatballs and the linguine with clams.

The matballs were as had as rocks and really crusty on the outside, they were clearly made with not enough filler, which makes for a nice light meatball. they looked as if they had been sitting is some hotel pan for days, and then sauced and thrown at our table...yick and expensive too.

The linguini was fine, not good, not great but fine. The catch there were perhaps four bites of pasta in the tiny bowl, there were many clams (which was nice, they were cooked well, but no pasta..what the hell? the sauce was also thin and without much discernable flavour.

the room was nice, loud and waht i imagine some people to consifer village/meatpacking hip (too much sex and the city)

This restaurant was a shame. I was really excited, as it's very close to my house, but it was a total letdown. The upside was that the food was not inedible and the cocktails looked nice, so if a friend were to suggest it i wouldn't sneer, maybe just sigh...

sorry for the bad spelling I'm out the door...sorry to burst the bubble, I was excited too...

The "mayo gloop" would be the aioli (garlic mayo).

~ Fernand Point

Yeah I figured as much but mayo seemed to be the pervasive flavour. Also a bit of anchovy, maybe?

I forgot to mention, to my amusement (and joy) many of the dishes had either rasins or anchovies! must be regional...

I also forgot to mention, the little fennel salad antipasti/ amuse was very good. Bright clean fennel taste, coupled with silky anchovies and olive oil. tasty.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Yeah I figured as much but mayo seemed to be the pervasive flavour. Also a bit of anchovy, maybe?

I forgot to mention, to my amusement (and joy) many of the dishes had either rasins or anchovies! must be regional...

I also forgot to mention, the little fennel salad antipasti/ amuse was very good. Bright clean fennel taste, coupled with silky anchovies and olive oil. tasty.

sorry guys... don't know what happened.

Anyway.... what to do, what to do???????

I appreciate the input.

Oh, I forgot. I liked that very much as well.

Maybe the aioli was poorly done the night you were there. Or maybe they made it last minute and didn't give the flavors time to meld? Mine definitely had a good, strong garlic flavor, but, as you noted, it was kind of glopped on top.

~ Fernand Point

• 2 weeks later...

Did go to Gusto last Sat. and had a very good meal. Chef Jody Williams was there (saw her) and is not planning to leave. Just doing menu development etc for a new project.

The focaccia with gorgonzola and pear was delicious as were the deep fried carciofi. We then both had pasta dishes, tagliatelli with prociutto, radiccio and bread crumbs and a tender, veal filled tortellini in a butter sage sauce. We were very pleased with both.

It was a good stop... thanks for your thoughts.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Gusto ristorante e bar americaino.

I've only heard wildly good reports about this restaurant but have yet to hear one peep out of someone on this forum about it. Please guide me if I've been misguided.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

the relevant thread is here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...8&mode=threaded

Jody Williams did get a fair amount of accolades at Gusto over the years...it was always one of the better midrange Italians.

she was then brought over to (the somewhat disappointing) Morandi as her mainstay by McNally. and that's where she cooks now.

she is behind the menu at Gottino, a new winebar a half block down from Gusto...(it's quite good)

Gusto is probably still just fine but it was definitely more exciting years ago.

Gusto is probably still just fine but it was definitely more exciting years ago.

I was puzzled to read this. Are most foodies looking for a great meal, or for excitement? I like restaurants that have consistent delicious food, things that I can look forward to, or as my wife says, "dishes that I get hungry for".

To me, exciting restaurants are by definition inconsistent and unreliable places you wouldn't want to patronize regularly. Nice for a tourist, but not for a local looking for a regular source of pleasure and sustenance.

We tried Gusto once when it was fresh and new and once after the name chef left, on neither occasion did it please us, let alone excite us.

I was puzzled to read this. Are most foodies looking for a great meal, or for excitement? I like restaurants that have consistent delicious food, things that I can look forward to, or as my wife says, "dishes that I get hungry for".

To me, exciting restaurants are by definition inconsistent and unreliable places you wouldn't want to patronize regularly. Nice for a tourist, but not for a local looking for a regular source of pleasure and sustenance.

We tried Gusto once when it was fresh and new and once after the name chef left, on neither occasion did it please us, let alone excite us.

what I specifically meant is that there are now quite a few Italian restaurants serving similar menus...when Gusto opened it was much more of a novelty.