• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near Newark

BeeZee

The details: I have someone coming in for some meetings in NJ next month. We finish up around 1pm in downtown Newark. He flies out at 4pm.

The catch: he's a nervous Midwesterner and I don't really know the places to eat around Newark, so I wouldn't want to get lost in a "dicey" neighborhood with him.

Any thoughts for lunch fairly close to Newark and the Airport?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Of course, there are going to be a lot of replies here about the Ironbound and its ubiquitous Portuguese/Spanish restos. I personally am not a big fan of these, they feature HUGE portions of mediocre food. Not really appropriate for a business lunch, either. And it's a bit of a drive through the back streets to get there.

I would stay downtown, they have done an amazing gentrification there, especially around the NJPAC area. It is quite safe, and there are lots of new attractive office buildings, lots of glass and steel. Here are the two best in that area:

Theater Square Grill

1 Center Street

973-642-1226

http://www.theatersquaregrill.com/

Pronto Cena

1 Riverfront Plaza

973-824-8999

I should have noted that I'm not really looking for Spanish/Portugese. This guy is not terribly adventurous, I want to go somewhere that has some "safe" options so he can get a good sandwich if all else fails. Theater Square Grill is probably a good option, thanks.

Edited by BeeZee (log)

I should have noted that I'm not really looking for Spanish/Portugese. This guy is not terribly adventurous, I want to go somewhere that has some "safe" options so he can get a good sandwich if all else fails.

See my recs above; they should suit you well.

Don Shula's Steakhouse DIRECTLY across from the airport is people friendly (especially business men!) I have dined there on a "comp" from a major cable company and was overjoyed at the food and service. I hope this link helps you!

http://www.donshula.com/steak2/newark/menu.htm

This is their menu you can always go back to their main link.

I personally am not adventurous around newark much, if you want to be more adventurous you can go 15 minutes away to Jerusalem Pizza in Elizabeth its very safe there and I'm a VERY nervous person in most cities. I'm a PINEY! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

If you haven't been to Newark lately, be advised, not only is it very safe, but quite attractive, especially around the NJPAC and Penn Station area. Lots of new office towers, glass and steel, with a bunch of white collar office workers that go along with that. No need to travel and deal with traffic and parking and "getting lost" issues. Stay downtown, it is great! Newark is totally changed!

If you haven't been to Newark lately, be advised, not only is it very safe, but quite attractive, especially around the NJPAC and Penn Station area.  Lots of new office towers, glass and steel, with a bunch of white collar office workers that go along with that.  No need to travel and deal with traffic and parking and "getting lost" issues.  Stay downtown, it is great!  Newark is totally changed!

Thanks for the advice...I'm looking out more for my guest's feelings/perceptions. Of course, I can't help remembering my sister telling me someone she worked with got mugged at lunch time a couple of years ago :shock:

Seriously, these places look great, thanks a bunch!

I've been working in the area around NJPAC and "University Heights" for 7 years. You have no reason to be more worried about crime there than you would in midtown Manhattan at lunch time. Maybe if we get someone else to be mayor in Newark, that message will get out...but I digress. :hmmm:

27Mix is definitely a good option, as is Theater Square Grill. Just note that at 27Mix, you'll either need to park on the street (again, no less safe than in NYC, imo) or you have to pay to park in one of the nearby lots. At TSG, you'll also pay, but likely more $. Seriously! It's one of my biggest peeves about NJPAC--they don't care why you're there--for dinner, drinks, lunch or a show--you're going to pay through the nose to park (i.e. $15). No validating by the restaurant.

Feel free to PM me if you want some safe street parking suggestions near 27Mix. But know that this is a non-existent option at TSG.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."