• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Griffin's

menton1

The owners of Cafe Cafe , that tiny 10-seat bistro in Tenafly with great food, have opened up a new venture in much larger quarters in the old habitat of La Petite Auberge. This spot has a liquor license. The building still conjures up fond memories of the beautiful Auberge.

This place has seen a lot of incarnations since the demise of the Auberge, let's hope this time this is a winner and will stand the test of time.

Anyone been yet?

Griffin's

44 East Madison Avenue

Cresskill

Just across from King's.

Look's like there is absolutely no interest in this place on the NJ Egullet. Sad, because this seems like a promising newcomer in Bergen, where good restaurants are few and far between.

Guess I'll have to wait for a Bergen Record review to get some details...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been a couple of times for a burger and a beer and have not been sufficiently impressed to take it to the next level. I really can't see myself going back for anything, to tell the truth.

The burgers themselves are good- juicy and big (8 oz.)- but the sides are awful. The crinkle-cut steak fries have been soggy with oil, and the cole slaw is just cloying and nasty. It's rare that I can't finish one of those small servings of slaw. The draft beer is kept waaaay too cold, and not in an "it's not at cellar temperature so I'll nitpick them about it" sort of way. I'm talking just above freezing, which is objectively too damn cold and a waste of my $$.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Well, if they are doing it just above freezing for Budwieser and Coors or Amstel or Heineken, I can forgive it -- it's the way I like to drink those. But decent micros on tap? No.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I was having Samuel Adams, you can place that in any category that you like :biggrin: , and I'm willing to bet that all of the beers are from the same cold box. But still, there is a point where any beer will become lifeless no matter the style. It has to do with how the carbonation is released and the head is formed. Just a few degrees higher and the beer will still be very cold (I'm not that unreasonable- honest- and I realize that the majority of customers prefers beer to be served very cold) and it will, well, 'behave' the way that a beer should behave.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Actually, the beer manufacturers recommend that their beer be consumed at about 40°F. The pressure in the bottles will actually lower the freezing point, and then you have the risk of the concoction doing weird things when opened and the pressure is released, causing ice crystals to form if it is around 32°. Also the foam will be greatly reduced.

P.S. Went to Griffin's once a couple of months ago, was really underwhelmed. Food and service were bordering on inferior, and definitely quashed any thoughts of a return visit. Too bad.