• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Megan Blocker - Food and the City

Megan Blocker

I won't be around when you wake up, Megan, so I'll say it now. Thank you for the tours, the great writing, the great fun! It's been a wonderful blog!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Megan, this was just too cool....I like the way you pace yourself, the ease with which you include the little things of daily life into your blog. I feel not like a voyeur but more like a traveling companion. You definitely have the touch! Thank you so very much and, hopefully, we'll travel again together in blogland in the future.

Safran

I've been to New York City just once, and that was under strained circumstances, and only know a few people who actually lived there. I never really understood the attraction until I followed this blog.

For the right type of person, (being young and eager helps :wink: ), New York must be like "condensed life". It's not my style, but I can appreciate it.

Bravo, brave and stalwart Megan! :biggrin:

Thank you again, Megan, Dear, for the tour. Following your Size Fours through the lovely labyrinth was akin to a weeklong "I'm Flyyyyyy-ing" after Peter through the clouds. We've seen where you live and work and shop and browse, where your life pulses and encompasses and finds meaning, where your heart is.

And a generous and gracious heart it is, sharing great bites and sweet slurps of that fabled Big Apple with all of us who eagerly partake of the sounds and colors and tastes through your eyes and words.

Your forays and wanderings and sidetrips are akin to magic, because of your happy outlook and your eager anticipation for the next adventure. This has been just a lovely week, and we're all so glad to be your companions. Thank you for the invitation.

rachel

PS Are our Golden Tickets valid for the next excursion? :wub:

This dinner was fantastic.  It was the perfect accompaniment to GG, and it was delicious.  I don't know why I don't do this more often.

Damn Logan! :angry:

Sorry to see your blog go Megan! I felt like I had someone to watch GG with! :smile:

I swear I was expecting to hear Logan say “we were on a break"! Gee, they ripped that right off from Ross and Rachel.

Getting back on topic, that dinner looked so good. I never even think of having breakfast for dinner. I don’t usually have that type of breakfast for breakfast, so having it for dinner is a great idea. And what a lovely hot chocolate.

Thanks again for sharing your New York with us. It was a lot of fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your travels throughout the city.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

:smile: I see you reading the blog, Megan! <I always get the urge to wave at the folks visiting a thread at the same time as me!> Well, Megan, you know that I'm a big fan of yours, and everyone else has expressed so well how glad we are to have had a visit with you in the UES of NYC this week, so I'll keep it as short as my typing-as-fast-than-I-can-think fingers will allow...

Thank you! Brava!

And, WOW, you've got the market on high energy and happy attitude covered!

Kiddle and I are shopping for pasta bowls shaped like yours this week... UM, I didn't need an excuse to shop, you know. :wink:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Megan,

You are the WOMAN!!  Wow, hungover and you hit the ground running.

Cheers :biggrin:

Who said she was hungover? She may have taken this. :raz:

No way, Doc - I'm telling you, Diet Coke - it's a girl's best friend. Sometimes I like it even more than diamonds.

Very rarely, but sometimes. :wink:

Megan,

Have you tried Diet Dr. Pepper.. I dislike soda and I like this stuff..If you are a big soda person, this is worth a try..

Thanks for the recommendation, Daniel! I don't love Diet Dr. Pepper's slightly stronger, tangier flavor, but it hits the spot every once in a while.

I had a friend in college, Kim, who was as addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper as I am to Diet Coke. Kim was the best person to have a class with...she was two years ahead of me and was a math major, so we only took one class together - an English class focused on the novels of Jane Austen. Surprisingly, yes, there were men in the class, too. :wink:

I would bring the sodas, and Kim would bring the candy - she never went anywhere without candy - and we would surreptitiously sip and nibble throughout. Oh, goodness, that was such fun. :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks for the great blog! I have memories of The Heidelberg from 1976. My mother had ordered a black forest cake from them for a party. My soon to be husband and I headed up there the morning of the party to pick op the cake. We were so overwhelmed by the wonderful aromas from the bakery that we decided to have some coffee and apple strudel. What I'll never forget was the coffee. We were used to restaurants refilling a coffee cup as needed. When we asked for more coffee, they didn't top off the cup, they took away the cups we were using and brought fresh cups to the table. They also charged us for each new cup! We figured that it must be the German way. We took our cake and never went back!

Thanks for the great trip through NYC. I'm very tempted to visit and eat my way through the town.

KathyM

:smile: I see you reading the blog, Megan! <I always get the urge to wave at the folks visiting a thread at the same time as me!> Well, Megan, you know that I'm a big fan of yours, and everyone else has expressed so well how glad we are to have had a visit with you in the UES of NYC this week, so I'll keep it as short as my typing-as-fast-than-I-can-think fingers will allow...

Thank you! Brava!

And, WOW, you've got the market on high energy and happy attitude covered!

Kiddle and I are shopping for pasta bowls shaped like yours this week... UM, I didn't need an excuse to shop, you know. :wink:

Yes, you caught me! I'm trying to make sure I've answered all the questions before the thread closes! :laugh:

Thank you, Rebecca. And I do loooove those bowls. They're from Pottery Barn, and I picked them up for less then $2 each, since the pattern was being discontinued. But you can find ones that look like them all over the place, and probably in far more interesting colors. :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

... I do loooove those bowls.  They're from Pottery Barn,...

We had similar lavender bowls from PB clearance, but 2 got broken and we eBayed the remaining 2! :sad: Sometimes I'm a little too quick with the eBay, it's true! Megan, Megan (NY, NY) I'm thanking you twice, your sunny disposition is a joy to be around!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I have memories of The Heidelberg from 1976.  My mother had ordered a black forest cake from them for a party.  My soon to be husband and I headed up there the morning of the party to pick op the cake.  We were so overwhelmed by the wonderful aromas from the bakery that we decided to have some coffee and apple strudel.  What I'll never forget was the coffee.  We were used to restaurants refilling a coffee cup as needed.  When we asked for more coffee, they didn't top off the cup, they took away the cups we were using and brought fresh cups to the table.  They also charged us for each new cup!  We figured that it must be the German way.  We took our cake and never went back!

That's why I drink the beer. :laugh:

Thanks for the hilarious tale, Birder!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Thanks once again Megan....I really enjoyed this one. I've read a few bits of blogs here and there but none of them have grabbed me from the start and held me the way yours did. Like Safran said, you really do have the touch! I hope we hear more blogging from you soon. :smile:

Woo hoo, party on. Megan we should have drinks @ pegu to celebrate the closing of your fantastic blog.

( I will be sure to drink water, as I always do at pegu :cool: )

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Water with really nifty ice cubes. :wink:

Rebecca, I did a little poking around and found these bowls at Crate and Barrel that are somewhat similar to my pasta bowls...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

gallery_28660_2588_29608.jpg

Megan,

Cute Feet!

What, no toe cleavage? :rolleyes:

I was also hoping for a picture or two from Lobel's.

Fresser, I'm here to tell ya, Manhatten is COLD this time of year! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

gallery_28660_2588_29608.jpg

Megan,

Cute Feet!

SB :cool:

Thanks, Steve! Cute feet are one of the few good things about being 5'3". :laugh: That and not having to duck under low-hanging branches.

And, Rebecca, I always believed you were a woman of impeccable tastes, and my suspicions have now been confirmed. :wink:

soooo funny, I have them too but mine are brown and orange. Excellent shoe tastes!

Megan,

Cute Feet!

What, no toe cleavage? :rolleyes:

I was also hoping for a picture or two from Lobel's.

Fresser, I'm here to tell ya, Manhatten is COLD this time of year! :laugh:

Sorry, Fresser...I'm not really a Lobel's girl... :wink:

You'll be happy to know there was toe cleavage on Friday night...

Queenie Takes Manhattan