• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Megan Blocker - Food and the City

Megan Blocker

Now, the crass question  :huh:  --how much was the tasting dinner at Babbo?

Actually, their tasting menu is a pretty good deal. It was $64, plus $50 for the wine pairings. I thought it was a good value, particularly when it's easy to spend that kind of money on a lackluster dinner here in Manhattan.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

soooo funny, I have them too but mine are brown and orange. Excellent shoe tastes!

Woohoo! I love that we all have the same shoes...of course, I love your taste in food, so I'm not surprised by your fantastic taste in footwear. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Thanks again, Megan, for all that you've put into this. While restaurants and shops may come and go, the energy and enthusiasm of people such as you make New York the greatest city in the world (said like a true New Yorker :wink: ).

In case anyone is interested, a printable version of this blog is more than 250 pages long :blink:. I thought I'd print it out for a friend, but on second thought .................

Ilene

<snip> In case anyone is interested, a printable version of this blog is more than 250 pages long . I thought I'd print it out for a friend, but on second thought ................. </snip>

You can, however e-mail it to your friend. Go to page 1, and in the gray bar at the top of the page before Megan's first post, you'll see the prompt "e-mail this thread". Just clickety and go from there! :cool:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

<snip> In case anyone is interested, a printable version of this blog is more than 250 pages long . I thought I'd print it out for a friend, but on second thought ................. </snip>

You can, however e-mail it to your friend. Go to page 1, and in the gray bar at the top of the page before Megan's first post, you'll see the prompt "e-mail this thread". Just clickety and go from there! :cool:

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, my spoiled friend will read a piece of paper that I stick under his nose but won't commit to the computer. Oh well, it's his loss. :hmmm:

Ilene

As we come up on the time when the thread will be locked (:sad:), I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank all of you who've read along with me this week.

As I mentioned last night, the experience of writing this blog has been far more meaningful for me than I would have expected when I set out on Wednesday for breakfast with my mom. The response from all of you, first with your sympathy for my cold and then with your enthusiasm for my adventures, has been absolutely overwhelming.

What's most flattering is that a group of people who care so passionately about food - writing about it, reading about it, preparing it and eating it - have been so excited to hear what I have to say about it. It makes me feel that I've truly made a contribution, and that has been incredibly rewarding for me.

You have all been so generous with your time and your words and your thoughts during this past week. I hope those of you who've never visited New York will consider a trip, and that the blog has been a decent virtual substitute for those of you who've been and are hankering for another fix.

This city - my city, I feel qualified to say, now that I've been here almost five years - is an amazing place. It's draining - even deadening at times - but is so full of vitality and variety that I can't walk out my door in the morning without feeling energized, no matter what the events of the previous evening. Having you with me for the past week has been a great motivator, and I've gotten to see far more of the island than I might in a normal seven-day timespan.

For that and for your very, very kind words of encouragement and praise, I thank you.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan