• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Megan Blocker - Food and the City

Megan Blocker

Starwich! And beam me out to Java Girl, please. That looks incredibly inviting.

I eat fridge-cleaning salad too, and it's one of my favorites. Although in cold weather I usually make fridge-cleaning soup.

I didn't buy anything from this section, but thought you all would get a kick out of it.  It's a whole cooler chock full of pre-prepped fresh veggies.  I mean, how lazy do you have to be not to chop up a red onion? :wacko: I've never understood this kind of convenience food, probably because I find slicing and dicing so theraputic.

gallery_28660_2588_1481.jpg

I'm with you on the sentiment, and I also understand your astonishment at running across a whole bunch o' ready-cut veggies. (For the same reason, I get annoyed at the fact that when traveling, I find it impossible to rent a car with a manual transmission.)

But may I hazard an excuse for, if not a defense of, the phenomenon by offering myself as an example?

It used to be that I had a relatively short commute: I could leave my Center City apartment at 8:30 and be at work by 9; on the return trip, I could walk through the front door of my apartment at 5:25. This left me with plenty of time to do all the preparations for a decent cooked-from-scratch meal and have it on the table by 7 or 7:30, depending on the dish.

I am no longer so lucky. My 8:30 am departure has been moved up an hour to 7:30. On the return trip, if I make my connections, I can be at home around 6:15; miss one, though, and I'm looking at 6:45 or even 7 instead. (I could give you a whole sidebar on the spatial arrangement of the modern metropolis that makes this so much more common, but I promised myself I would refrain from channeling PLANetizen to this board.) If I have a resume client or something similar to deal with upon arrival, or if I don't remember to plan some things before leaving for work, we are now talking dinner at 9. Most folks I know would rather not eat a big meal that late.

So what do you do? Figure out ways to shave the time spent cooking--or dispense with it altogether, as a number of (sometimes artificially) busy people now do. Hence the popularity of "home meal replacements" or whatever that industry term is, the explanation why Hamburger Helper is suddenly too time-consuming--and the reason that even the really good produce stands are now selling cut-up veggies in shrink-wrapped packages.

As for your poll: Starwich, of course. That conversation has whetted my appetite, and since I'm not going to be in New York any time soon, I'm going to have to experience this place vicariously through you. Sorry to burden you like this.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I didn't buy anything from this section, but thought you all would get a kick out of it.  It's a whole cooler chock full of pre-prepped fresh veggies.  I mean, how lazy do you have to be not to chop up a red onion? :wacko: I've never understood this kind of convenience food, probably because I find slicing and dicing so theraputic.

I'm with you on the sentiment, and I also understand your astonishment at running across a whole bunch o' ready-cut veggies.

BTW, there is a certain portion of the population who, because of disability or illness, simply don't have the strength or dexterity or sense of balance to chop their own stuff, and for them, this stuff is a god-send. For me, I too find chopping therapeutic!

Another vote for Starwich. Are you thinking off the menu or creat-your-own?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm with you on the sentiment, and I also understand your astonishment at running across a whole bunch o' ready-cut veggies.

BTW, there is a certain portion of the population who, because of disability or illness, simply don't have the strength or dexterity or sense of balance to chop their own stuff, and for them, this stuff is a god-send. For me, I too find chopping therapeutic!

Another vote for Starwich. Are you thinking off the menu or creat-your-own?

That's a good point, Susan, and one I hadn't thought of. I also get Sandy's point about time being a factor - but I still find pre-chopped onions odd. Even carrot and celery sticks I can get behind, pre-shredded coleslaw, okay. Pre-cut onions? It just strikes me as so odd! :laugh: At least, for people who are lucky enough to be able to chop their own onions.

Sounds like Starwich is the clear winner...not sure yet on whether I'll do make my own or not. So far I've done one of each (had the pomegranate-juniper chicken sandwich and made my own BLT)...I may have to go for one of the "Signature" items!!!

For those of you not familiar, here are some Starwich links!!!

- Starwich's website

- eG Spotlight Conversation with Spiro Baltas (Starwich's CEO)

- eG Starwich thread

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Wow great blog Megan!

I go away for a week and all sorts of exciting things happen. I am surprised you made it out of pegu with only 2 drinks!

:rolleyes:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Megan - thanks for this blog! One of my very best friends lives right near you on 76th and York. You're bringing back very fond memories of visiting his studio apartment and hanging out in the city. You can't even turn around in his kitchen - you're very lucky indeed.

He always refers to 2nd ave as his restaurant heaven - do you feel the same? I've eaten with him and have to admit the choices are endless. (But Tasty Delite always wins :wink: )

Edited by gini (log)
Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Wow great blog Megan! 

I go away for a week and all sorts of exciting things happen.  I am surprised you made it out of pegu with only 2 drinks!

:rolleyes:

Yes, I've discovered that the trick is to go into Pegu with only an hour or two left before your dinner reservation...it's the only way to make it out alive. :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Megan,

You are the WOMAN!!  Wow, hungover and you hit the ground running.

Cheers :biggrin:

Who said she was hungover? She may have taken this. :raz:

No way, Doc - I'm telling you, Diet Coke - it's a girl's best friend. Sometimes I like it even more than diamonds.

Very rarely, but sometimes. :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I went a few blocks uptown to do my laundry, and once everything was in the machines and safely on its way to the spin cycle, I took a quick walk to get some coffee.  On my way to the shop where I like to buy my coffee on laundry day, I passed this landmark of New York's literary culture, though its culinary status is not quite as revered.

It's worth noting to the many out-of-towners reading your blog that most New Yorkers do not have washer/dryers in their apartments or laundry rooms in their apartment buildings and must walk to the nearest laundromat ... just like they walk to the supermarket. Thus, shopping carts like this are a common sight along the streets of New York. Do you use one?

Edited to add: that's why you guys manage to stay so thin even though you all eat so much!

Edited by Beanie (log)

Ilene

I went a few blocks uptown to do my laundry, and once everything was in the machines and safely on its way to the spin cycle, I took a quick walk to get some coffee.  On my way to the shop where I like to buy my coffee on laundry day, I passed this landmark of New York's literary culture, though its culinary status is not quite as revered.

It's worth noting to the many out-of-towners reading your blog that most New Yorkers do not have washer/dryers in their apartments or laundry rooms in their apartment buildings and must walk to the nearest laundromat ... just like they walk to the supermarket. Thus, shopping carts like this are a common sight along the streets of New York. Do you use one?

Hey, Beanie!

Yes. I have an old-lady cart, as I call it...however, I only use it for laundry, and not for shopping. It looks like this one, though I got mine for about half that price. For shopping, if I have a big load, I prefer to have it delivered. But, for laundry, alas, it's always a big load. :laugh:

There was a time (in my first NYC apartment) when I had laundry in the basement. Sigh. I miss that time, though I love my apartment now, especially the part about not having a roommate. I've decided that roommates are just a recipe for trouble, as well as for dirty dishes in the sink that I didn't put there. :laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Megan,

You are the WOMAN!!  Wow, hungover and you hit the ground running.

Cheers :biggrin:

Who said she was hungover? She may have taken this. :raz:

No way, Doc - I'm telling you, Diet Coke - it's a girl's best friend. Sometimes I like it even more than diamonds.

Very rarely, but sometimes. :wink:

Megan,

Have you tried Diet Dr. Pepper.. I dislike soda and I like this stuff..If you are a big soda person, this is worth a try..

Intriguing...I have a feeling I'm going to learn something new about my own environs... :smile:

edit: Thanks for a wonderful blog, Megan and for sharing your week off with us. As a visitor to NY, I'm often near the UES while visiting the Met so I've enjoyed getting some additional tips about the neighborhood.

Regarding a nice place for sweets, have you had a chance to visit Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Gallerie? It's nearly the spitting image of a real Viennese coffeehouse and serves wonderful Austrian pastries in addition to non-sweet meals.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Megan,

once again, thanks for a great blog! looking forward to your last couple of meals. sometimes i get so stuck in the pastry and baking forum i forget that there's a whole world of eGullet out there :blink: (a real world too?!)

when you posted the photo of the coffee cart what came to mind for me is the obviously acquired taste (or an unhealful activity) for "baconeggandcheeseonaroll" from your local bodega. why they don't sell this in other states, i'll never know. it is such a treat on a lazy weekend morning...that and a tooth-aching "light and sweet" all for the bargain price of $2.50!

Edited to add: that's why you guys manage to stay so thin even though you all eat so much!

Yup.... people in cities are generally in better health than those in the 'burbs, despite the pollution.... because we walk briskly everywhere instead of taking the minivan.

Megan, thanks so much for a wonderful blog and a terrific glimpse of New York. I've thoroughly enjoyed this one, and I really wish it wasn't over tomorrow. :smile:

A trip to NYC would definitely be in order, if I wasn't trying to save a loft downpayment. :hmmm: Maybe next year after that's all done.........

Intriguing...I have a feeling I'm going to learn something new about my own environs... :smile:

edit: Thanks for a wonderful blog, Megan and for sharing your week off with us.  As a visitor to NY, I'm often near the UES while visiting the Met so I've enjoyed getting some additional tips about the neighborhood. 

Regarding a nice place for sweets, have you had a chance to visit Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Gallerie?  It's nearly the spitting image of a real Viennese coffeehouse and serves wonderful Austrian pastries in addition to non-sweet meals.

Thanks, ludja!

Yes, Cafe Sabarsky is wonderful...I actually thought about meeting my mom there for lunch on the first morning of the blog, but I felt so icky that I just wanted to go somewhere basic. Plus, it's a waste to go there when you can't have coffee! :laugh:

once again, thanks for a great blog! looking forward to your last couple of meals. sometimes i get so stuck in the pastry and baking forum i forget that there's a whole world of eGullet out there  (a real world too?!)

:laugh: Yes, we can all get cocooned into our little eG cliques and worlds...just like the tables in the high school cafeteria!

I did bring my camera to work to take pictures of my day-to-day adventures (mundanity, more like :wink:), but I can't edit them till I get home tonight, so I'll be delivering a full report then.

I really do hope that the blog as it is so far will convince people to make a trip to NYC...it doesn't have to be a ridiculously expensive venture, and there's so much more to our city than the traditionally touristy stuff.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Megan,

once again, thanks for a great blog!  looking forward to your last couple of meals.  sometimes i get so stuck in the pastry and baking forum i forget that there's a whole world of eGullet out there  :blink:  (a real world too?!)

when you posted the photo of the coffee cart what came to mind for me is the obviously acquired taste (or an unhealful activity) for "baconeggandcheeseonaroll" from your local bodega.  why they don't sell this in other states, i'll never know.  it is such a treat on a lazy weekend morning...that and a tooth-aching "light and sweet"  all for the bargain price of $2.50!

ooohhhhh - bacon, egg and cheese on a roll. one of my all time favorite things to eat. it's also great with salami instead of bacon.

megan - want an unhealthy breakfast tomorrow???

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Megan,

once again, thanks for a great blog!  looking forward to your last couple of meals.  sometimes i get so stuck in the pastry and baking forum i forget that there's a whole world of eGullet out there  :blink:  (a real world too?!)

when you posted the photo of the coffee cart what came to mind for me is the obviously acquired taste (or an unhealful activity) for "baconeggandcheeseonaroll" from your local bodega.  why they don't sell this in other states, i'll never know.  it is such a treat on a lazy weekend morning...that and a tooth-aching "light and sweet"  all for the bargain price of $2.50!

ooohhhhh - bacon, egg and cheese on a roll. one of my all time favorite things to eat. it's also great with salami instead of bacon.

megan - want an unhealthy breakfast tomorrow???

You people are EVIL!!!! :laugh:

If I have to take one for the team...:wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Is there always a ridiculous line outside of Cafe Sabarsky/the Neue Gallerie, or are there times when you can just walk in? mascarpone and I thought of going there at around 4:30 on President's Day after a trip to the Met, and the line was around the block, so we walked over to Two Little Red Hens instead. Great sweets, but not the type of coffee he wanted.

Michael aka "Pan"

Is there always a ridiculous line outside of Cafe Sabarsky/the Neue Gallerie, or are there times when you can just walk in? mascarpone and I thought of going there at around 4:30 on President's Day after a trip to the Met, and the line was around the block, so we walked over to Two Little Red Hens instead. Great sweets, but not the type of coffee he wanted.

That's stinky, Pan! :angry:

Since it's so close to the museum, late afternoons are awful, especially on weekends and holidays.

The best time, I think, is breakfast. Weekday afternoons are probably ok, too, though I've never had the chance to try!

Here's a link to their website, for those who are interested.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Megan,

Missed you this weekend. We were up in NY this weekend, and I kept thinking, "I wonder what Megan is doing now?"

Thanks for going to Kitchen Arts & Letters. Your pics now proved what I always knew...that it's a very dangerous place for me to go. If I can't go through a B&N or amazon.com without buying a cookbook, there's no way I'll make it out of there alive.

The hardest part about New York is looking around at the people who have enough money not to worry about anything, who can take cabs everywhere, eat wherever they like at any time, etc.  I cure my jealousy by making my home as inviting as possible, so that I don't mind spending time there :wink:, and by reminding myself that I'm only 26 - I'm not supposed to be spending money like a 40-year-old, because there's no reason I should be making the same kind of money.

I find that you’re being very sensible. There’s no need to be jealous about the people who seem like they don’t worry about money. They’re the ones who are probably overextended on their credit cards. My dad used to say that he had money because he was cheap. And remember--Mayor Bloomberg takes the subway to work every morning, and he certainly doesn’t have to worry about money.

That dinner at Babbo looked so amazing, as does the dinner at Chez Megan.

Cute feet are one of the few good things about being 5'3". :laugh:   That and not having to duck under low-hanging branches.

Ok. Although GF's DL says she's 5'3", but I think 5'0.75" is probably more like it? :unsure:

SB (knows from personal experience that another presumed advantage of petite women, that they don't eat as much, is patently false, especially when it comes to chocolate!) :wink:

I’m 5’0” and I constantly delude myself into thinking that I’m taller by ducking under low-hanging branches. :laugh: Srhcb, whoever said petite women don’t eat as much has never met the likes of me.

Ooh, and for the petless New Yorker, you can always visit a dog park. I used to spend part of my lunch hour oohing the puppies at the nearby dog park.

I love Chelsea Market too, but you missed my favorite spot there - The Lobster Place has excellent seafood and is super for getting fresh-shucked clams and oysters to snack on while shopping.

They have great lobster rolls at The Lobster Place. There’s also a wonderful gelato stand right behind Bowery Kitchenware. IMHO, their pompelmo rosso (pink grapefruit) gelato is the best I’ve had since Rome.

I grabbed a cup of coffee at Martha Frances Mississippi Cheesecake, which is just a few storefronts north of Elaine's.  When I lived in this block, I used to come here some weeknights to read a book over a cup of decaf and a slice of cheesecake...these days, I visit only on laundry days.

I didn’t realize Martha Frances Mississippi Cheesecake had a storefront there. Her stand is one of the very few that make the ubiquitous street fairs worthwhile.

But this is a great blog. Thanks for sharing your New York. I don’t usually frequent the UES unless I’m going to one of the museums, so you’re giving me a reason to visit that neck of the woods more often.

Another vote for Starwich. Or even a lunch cart.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

This morning I woke up a bit later than intended...not till about 8:45 or so. I then leapt out of bed and turned on my work laptop (blech) and did some emailing and damage control on that end. Then I realized that today is the day I get to have COFFEE!!!! I threw on my overcoat, raced down the stairs, and sprinted to DTUT, a coffee bar on 2nd Avenue between 84th and 85th Streets. DTUT serves coffee all day and late into the night, and also serves wine and beer after five...a very popular spot for first dates, since you can get a coffee OR an alcoholic beverage. It's full of broken-in couches and armchairs...it has a sort of Central Perk-ish vibe.

Here's the outside, a view of the counter (blocked by a plant, sorry) from just inside the front door, and quick look at one of the seating areas.

gallery_28660_2588_29955.jpg

gallery_28660_2588_4292.jpg

gallery_28660_2588_17133.jpg

Hi Megan,

I've been reading your blog all week and I wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed it before it ends! Thanks so much for showing us all a slice of New York--I can't think of a better way to experience the city than through the eyes of a foodie. :biggrin:

Apropos the above photos, DTUT looks very much like the coffee shop in "You've Got Mail," a movie I love only because of the beautiful shots of New York. Would you happen to know if this is indeed the coffee shop from the movie?

Again, thanks so much for sharing your food experiences.

Eilen