• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for (Boiron) Coconut Puree

sanrensho

Is there a passable substitute for Boiron coconut puree? I have some mousse/cake recipes that call for coconut puree, but no access to the Boiron product. Since I've never tasted it before, I have no reference point for comparison.

The Boiron site indicates that their coconut puree has a 10% sugar content. Is there some combination of coconut milk/cream/extract that would get me close to the flavour of the Boiron puree? Maybe boil it down to concentrate the flavour further (plus 10% sugar)?

I would welcome any suggestions, especially if you know what the Boiron coconut puree tastes like.

Thanks.

-Kenji

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

any frozen coconut puree will work, although i think boiron is the best. it is pure coconut puree with the standard 10 percent sugar added so you could use a very fine quality of coconut milk but make sure that you mix it very well before you measure it as coco milk seperates and be sure to take in the sugar content of the product you use, it might be more or it might be less

nkaplan@delposto.com

any frozen coconut puree will work, although i think boiron is the best.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't have access to any frozen coconut puree. From what I've read, the (Boiron) coconut puree is quite a bit better in flavour than coconut cream/milk.

Could someone give me an idea of the consistency of the Boiron coconout puree at room or refrigerated temp? Is it very thick, indicating a lot of pureed solids?

I've found frozen coconut milk at Asian markets that was really quite good and fresh tasting. Comes in one pound plastic pouches. A decent second best is canned coconut milk, which isn't quite as fresh tasting.

You can also make your own by pouring boiling water over dried, unsweetened coconut. Use equal volume coconut and water (for each cup of coconut, one cup of water). Of course you can use less water to make a thicker, stronger tasting milk. Let it sit for half an hour, then blend with a blender or burr mixer. Strain through a cheesecloth lined strainer, twisting the solids in the cheesecloth to get all the liquid out.

I've found frozen coconut milk at Asian markets that was really quite good and fresh tasting. Comes in one pound plastic pouches.

Thank you! I can get this fairly easily, though I've never used it. Is the texture quite different from the Boiron puree? I'm concerned about how the substitution will affect baked goods (genoise/biscuit/joconde).

I've found frozen coconut milk at Asian markets that was really quite good and fresh tasting. Comes in one pound plastic pouches.

Thank you! I can get this fairly easily, though I've never used it. Is the texture quite different from the Boiron puree? I'm concerned about how the substitution will affect baked goods (genoise/biscuit/joconde).

The Boiron might be a little thicker and fattier, but I think it's a small difference . The Asian stuff has no sugar, so you'll have to compensate for that.

The Boiron might be a little thicker and fattier, but I think it's a small difference . The Asian stuff has no sugar, so you'll have to compensate for that.

Thanks for the info and reminder about the sugar. Can't wait to try out some coco mousse and biscuit recipes.