• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas beers

Kent Wang

Of course there are the regional juggernauts Shiner, Ziegenbock and Lone Star but Texas also has its fair share of microbreweries. My favorites are St. Arnold (Houston) Lawnmower and Real Ale (Blanco) Rio Blanco Pale Ale. Austin Chronicle recently ran a article on Austin-based Independence Ale, which I haven't tried.

What Texas beers do you like?

i recently tried the st. arnold's lawnmower, and i really liked that.  i don't care for shiner bock at all.  those are really the only texas beers i've tried since i'm not much of a drinker.

(Since I work for them, I'll go ahead and put my 'shill' hat on!)

If you liked The Fancy Lawnmower, I'd recommend that you check out the Saint Arnold Amber Ale, it's our best seller, and my personal favorite. You can also find:

Saint Arnold Brown Ale (slightly sweet, toasty);

Texas Wheat;

Elissa IPA (a well-balanced IPA named after the tall ship docked in Galveston).

We also have five seasonals, currently The Spring Bock (a REAL bock beer, very malty, higher in alcohol), Summer Pils (light, crip, and hoppy), Oktoberfest, Christmas Ale (a farily big beer with a sneaky 8%; and we are also making a series of single batch, very high gravity, barleywines and Belgium-types called Divine Reserve.

Did I mention we make a great Root Beer too?

www.saintarnold.com

Frank in Austin

Regarding St. Arnolds, I prefer the Brown Ale.

You should tour the facilities in Houston sometime. Very different than the big corporate tour at an Anheuser-Busch brewery or the Heineken Brewery. The brewery is in a warehouse/office park in Northwest Houston. You can see everything when you walk in Tour takes about thirty minutes to an hour, then free beer.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

We also have five seasonals, currently The Spring Bock (a REAL bock beer, very malty, higher in alcohol)...

Glad to see somebody else around here that recognizes that Shiner Bock isn't a REAL Bock.

But at least Zeigenbock is! :o)

(not!)

Frank in Austin

You should also check out Live Oak beers, they don't bottle, but you can find them at several good bars a restaurants around Austin (and Marble Falls). I tried a double bock at the brewery that was amazing. Well made, well balanced, unlike

"hops for the sake of hops" like some micro's.

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

• 1 month later...

I went to Live Oak Brewery's 9th anniversary party this Saturday and had a chance to try the Pilz, Pale Ale, Big Bark amber lager and Hefeweizen; the latter two were my favorite. I don't usually like hefeweizens but I really enjoyed the crisp, citrusy flavor of the Live Oak brew. Live Oak is not available by the bottle and unfortunately does not have plans in the near future to build a bottling facility.