• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Daddy's, Barbecue, Tex-Mex

Bobby 2 Shakes

693 Burmont Rd - Drexel Hill, PA 19026

Right near the Aronimink stop of the Rte 101 trolley.

I saw this place on my way to drop off my vacuum cleaner to be repaired. I just bought Michael Ruhlman/Brian Polcyn's "Charcuterie" book, so the words "the Pig is King" were resonating in my head. I was in a hurry so I tried a pulled pork sandwich and it was great, so I came back for pork ribs & wings for dinner.

They just opened in May 2005, so they're not really well-known, but it won't take long once people try them out. Very good selection on the menu.

They compete in a lot of BBQ competitions, pork is their passion. The proprietors are Jerry Mullane and his wife Linda. Jerry says if he gives you a hard time, it means he likes you, so bust his stones about how you feel left out because he treats you so nice. Bust on them because they're from NYC, too.

Lou works there, too, and he's a vegetarian for health reasons but tastes the meats so he can recommend the ones he likes. His guacamole and salsa are also incredibly fresh and I enjoyed them.

Fabulous baked beans and freshly made corn chips rounded things out for me. I live past 69th street and they deliver that far out. Call to find out how far they'll deliver. They'll be tallying up a lot of miles to my neck of the woods.

Their website is www.PigDaddysBarbecue.com and phone # (610) 622-6441.

If they get big enough, maybe they'll open a sit-down place. They want to make sausages, too.

• 4 months later...

I appreciate the tip off, Bob. They are near me and I am itching for some of them "dinosaur bones". I will definitely be checking them out raaaght soon.

Dough can sense fear.

Also, have you tried the delicious, fresh Chinese food from Ming's Coffee and Tea a few blocks further south on Burmont Road, next to Rite Aid? Don't miss the dumplings, steamed or fried, with plenty of hot sauce for dipping!

• 2 weeks later...
Jerry & Linda are going to be giving a class on how to judge BBQ - July 15 from 11 AM to 2:30 PM at the NJ State BBQ Championships in North Wildwood. They're also going to be featured in an article in the NY Times July 5, I believe.

Here's a link to the aforementioned article.

You may need to register (free, so it says)

Jerry & Linda are going to be giving a class on how to judge BBQ - July 15 from 11 AM to 2:30 PM at the NJ State BBQ Championships in North Wildwood. They're also going to be featured in an article in the NY Times July 5, I believe.

Here's a link to the aforementioned article.

You may need to register (free, so it says)

The article is not free. You have to be a NYT subscriber or pay to read its content.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 8 months later...

In a previous thread, Bob recommended Pig Daddy's after Zeke's closed down. I finally made it there today, and they make one fine pulled pork sandwich.

The owners are very nice folks, which never hurts the "experience". Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely be stopping back again!

I belch, therefore, I ate...