• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bluestem, KC

Pronto pup?  :huh:  'splain - puhlease!

u.e.

Come on u.e, haven't you ever been to the fair? If not, come on down to Tulsa in two weeks and I can introduce you to the world of food on a stick.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have been to fairs - but I've never seen pronto pups... *sigh* I know, I'm pretty impossible! :biggrin:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I love pronto pups, but........  I the best food stand at the KS State Fair is the Wings, Rings and Dangling Things.  :rolleyes:  Use your imagination.  :wink: I grew up on a Farm.

the town of Vinita Oklahoma has a whole festival each fall that is centered around the eating of calf fries.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Colby. Please do not feel moved to take inspiration from Big Country's favorite stand at the KS State Fair, as you contemplate your fall menu changes.

Note to self.  Ask server ton of questions about food at Starkers! :wink:

C'mon wench, surely you've been served prairie oysters somewhere in your dining career?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I think that the closest in taste and texture is sweet breads.  They will not be on the menu any time soon though here.
Boo!! :wink:

Seriously though, back to bluestem: ChefCAG, are you planning to bring offal (of any sort) onto the menu? Sweetbreads? Kidneys? Have you ever had anything like that on your menu? I know you have foie... very good foie. :raz:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Just saw that Kansas City Magazine in the October Issue has given 4 STARS to bluestem. Also to note, a rather well written article (watch out Lauren Chapin!) but that's a different thread. I haven't been reading the last few issues...just wondering does anyone know if they do reviews on a monthly basis?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Just saw that Kansas City Magazine in the October Issue has given 4 STARS to bluestem. Also to note, a rather well written article (watch out Lauren Chapin!) but that's a different thread. I haven't been reading the last few issues...just wondering does anyone know if they do reviews on a monthly basis?

I see it on occasion and have often thought I should subscribe but you have NO idea how many magazines we slog through every month. If I sign up for one more, I'm going to find my belongings out on the curb, I'm afraid.

I believe they do reviews every month, with rare exception. I don't include it in my digest as they have zero online content. I check their website online each week, though, hoping that they might see the error of their ways.

Congratulations on the good rating. I always knew you guys could be up there with the big boys if you really applied yourselves :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

First, congratulations to y'all at bluestem!! I guess SORedux and Le Fou Frog aren't the only "4-stars" in town anymore! :wink:

Judy - It seems that KC Magazine has seen the error of its ways. I just went onto their website and there's a link to the review in .pdf. JWest, is this where you got it from?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

First, congratulations to y'all at bluestem!!  I guess SORedux and Le Fou Frog aren't the only "4-stars" in town anymore!  :wink:

Judy - It seems that KC Magazine has seen the error of its ways.  I just went onto their website and there's a link to the review in .pdf.  JWest, is this where you got it from?

u.e.

Yes, I suprisingly found the article on KC Magazine's website.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Hurray! I will begin including it, then. I sent them an email a while ago because when I moused-over their various departments I would get the little "hamburge helper hand" (sorry, my first exposure to www ever they called it that and it stuck with me) but it wasn't really a hyperlink so it was doubly frustrating.

M.F.K. Fisher

Looking over the current online menu........

Desserts aren't generally the first thing on my mind when I'm planning a meal, but the Caramelized Apple Cornmeal Cake (w/Kettle Corn Ice Cream) is something I think I really need to try. Actually, there's a lot on the current dessert menu that looks stellar.

I'll have to get my sugar fix BEFORE getting the caviar/all you can drink martini special in the lounge. What's up with the "bartender's discretion" clause? On my best day I can only go through two full bottles!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

What's up with the "bartender's discretion" clause?  On my best day I can only go through two full bottles!

Maybe they knew you'd be coming in for that! :wink: Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Desserts aren't generally the first thing on my mind when I'm planning a meal, but the Caramelized Apple Cornmeal Cake (w/Kettle Corn Ice Cream) is something I think I really need to try.  Actually, there's a lot on the current dessert menu that looks stellar.

I'll have to get my sugar fix BEFORE getting the caviar/all you can drink martini special in the lounge.  What's up with the "bartender's discretion" clause?  On my best day I can only go through two full bottles!

They must've gotten new bartenders - the ones I know don't have any discretion :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Desserts aren't generally the first thing on my mind when I'm planning a meal, but the Caramelized Apple Cornmeal Cake (w/Kettle Corn Ice Cream) is something I think I really need to try.  Actually, there's a lot on the current dessert menu that looks stellar.

I can vouch for this dessert, excellent use of the fall flavors. It was tough deciding between this and the chocolate ginger one.

Maybe they knew you'd be coming in for that!   :wink:

Now that I think about it......I'm not sure ANY of the staff at Bluestem would even flinch at a request for a chilled bottle of Goose and a straw. Breakfast of champions.

:laugh::laugh: I think I've had that for breakfast before!!!

We put the clause in there so we could cut someone off before they hurt themselves....truth be told I'm not sure if it's even legal that I can do that. I think there is a law aganst "All you can Drink" because if there wasn't I know some of the bars down the street from me would have drink specials where they would just charge people at the door to get in and they could drink all the cheap beer they wanted.

I just thought it would be a fun way to sell caviar in the lounge. I think we have only sold a few of them

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Yeah, smart clause. Not sure you could trust everyone to take the offer in the spirit in which it was meant unless you clarified it a bit. You just can't trust everyone to be a professional drunk.....trained in the art of closing one eye in order to make it out the front door of places like Davey's or Kenny's Newsroom at 3am.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Yeah, smart clause.  Not sure you could trust everyone to take the offer in the spirit in which it was meant unless you clarified it a bit.  You just can't trust everyone to be a professional drunk.....trained in the art of closing one eye in order to make it out the front door of places like Davey's or Kenny's Newsroom at 3am.

ARe these places anything like the Blind Pig used to be in Tampa?

• 2 weeks later...

moosnsqrl posted this on another thread - but it reminded me: bluestem is one of three restaurants featured in this latest issue of Wine Spectator (October 31, 2006). The other three were Circe, The American, and I'll be damned I can't remember... or if there was even a fourth. Anyway, John Mariani writes up a glowing review of all...

Congrats guys on all the good press recently!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hadn't been to 'the stem' in a while and my Mac-centric self hasn't been playing nicely with the online menus, so I was flying blind. I checked out all of the menus and found much to like and nothing objectionable.

Try the wagyu carpaccio, if nothing else.

M.F.K. Fisher

Hadn't been to 'the stem' in a while and my Mac-centric self hasn't been playing nicely with the online menus, so I was flying blind.  I checked out all of the menus and found much to like and nothing objectionable.

Try the wagyu carpaccio, if nothing else.

Not to technologically profile here, but I suspected you were a Mac'er! :wink:

I can attest to Megan's Spiced Pumpkin Pudding. OMG. And the Spiced Ceylon Tea Ice Cream - I could spoon that stuff!! It's so - autumnal... but I know I wouldn't mind seeing that dessert all year round!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account