• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bluestem, KC

Judy, if it will make you feel any better I'll let you join in the next time I trick Mike into thinking his finger bowl is an amuse bouche.

At a local sushi eatery I witnessed someone picking up the steamy hand towel they present to diners prior to the meal and attempting to take a bite out of it. It made me wonder how many people think they don't like sushi because they can't get the taste of terrycloth out of their mouth.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I had my own collection. It was excellent. I will post more in detail after getting some sleep and getting back home. I did take notes. And the escargot, I would not let them take the dish away until I had sopped up all the juice out of that shell.

THe last three times I have been in town, I have eaten at Bluestem. IF that is a rut, I think I like to be in this rut.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...

This isn't the impulsive collection, rather a broader bluestem post (maybe need to rename, Ronnie?) but I just enjoyed a more diminutive bstem experience in honor (if one can use the word honor in the same sentence) of Zeemanb's birthday. Ten degrees cooler and I would've worn black but never mind that.

We (Z, MotherZ and I) shared some wonderful frites with garlic and parmesan accompanied by 3 dips: something with lots-o-horseradish, red pepper aioli and <<sauce Americain>>. Yum.

I had their hot and sour soup (which still seems just wrong in that setting but it is ever so good). Z had (hold onto your hats, folks) fois, with cherries and something (luckily there was no pattern on the plate to begin with, otherwise it would've been history by the time he finished scraping and licking. . . had mother not been there I would've assumed he was raised by wolves) and mom had some of their addictive pea soup. Oh, and I had Kobe carpaccio (with brioche, mesclun and thinly shaved Parm). Not bad at all.

They had a couple of foo-foo cocktails while I enjoyed a proper gibson :wink: and I left them debating whether or not escargot might be considered a dessert in the "light supper" format.

Looking forward to the new, Beard House-inspired menu. We are fortunate to have this place in town and all the more-so with the more casual wine lounge, where one can nosh and slosh without a reservation (or attitude). I know they'll do KC proud in The Village.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Nice evening in the lounge tonight Judy, sorry you had to leave before more drinks and dessert arrived. I will say though that right after you left, there was a noticeable difference in the posture of all the staff members. They didn't seem to be cowering nearly as much. Go figure. :biggrin:

It was a HUGE hit with mom, I'm glad she finally got to come down for a casual intro to Bluestem. She's already talking about coming back for the impulsive collection some evening, which I knew she'd be up for once she experienced some of the food and drink. The Signature B cocktail was definitely her favorite (icewine, Grey Goose Citron, blueberry jam, muscat), while I enjoyed the Antioxidant (sp? - green tea vodka, Midori, lime juice, melon balls) as a starter and ended with the most accurately named drink for me....."The Gentleman" (Maker's Mark, Frangelico, Kahlua, espresso, bitters, vanilla whipped cream). I'm honestly not someone who gets into the "foo-foo" multi-liquor drinks. A Knob Creek Manhattan is about as fancy as I get, but the combinations of flavors and presentations of their signature drinks is so unique and well thought out that all thoughts of being mistaken for Carrie Bradshaw (which happens to me a lot) while sipping away were far from my mind. Great drinks, and the liquor selection is incredible. Green tea vodka.....who knew? Van is a fantastic mixologist, and he's a trooper for putting up with our incessant chatter all evening.

Judy, next time we're down there I think I might order the foie gras. Not sure. It's either going to be that or the foie gras.

Good times! Now back to work tomorrow.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

First, happy (belated) birthday Zeemanb!! How many candles are we lighting up this year?

Thanks for the update on the Wine Lounge moosnsqurl + Zeemanb. Truth be told, I've been into bluestem a number of times since I've been back in KC myself. But you know how summer is - the great weather has dragged me outside and away from wireless.

Judy + Zeeman's report have me a little nudge and I thought I might add to the fun. I'm glad see that everything's on the up-and-up at bluestem. The Wine Lounge really adds a lot to the restaurant - if not in space, definitely in food. I sat up at the bar one night and delighted on a light repass... I'll have to go in for some more of their offerings - I've heard those mussels are great. Judy, you also make me long for the Kobe carpaccio.

In the dining room, I've had a number of selections - one of the most memorable being the Wagyu beef entree. Drizzled with white truffle oil, who could resist?!?!? I'd also venture to walk a couple miles for a few more of those escargot - not tough at all - tender and flavorful - without drowning in butter. Judy - you must try those if you haven't already!

Can't wait to hear more about moosnsqrl's and Zeemanb's experiences! I hope to have many more myself!

u.e.

[edited to add: Oh yeah, I just about fell out of my chair on the foie course... was it a shallot with the pickle, Judy? That's how mine have been served the past few times I've been there.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'd also venture to walk a couple miles for a few more of those escargot - not tough at all - tender and flavorful - without drowning in butter.  Judy - you must try those if you haven't

They're great but we were concerned that ours were in danger of drowning so we took the precaution of "shooting" the liquid contents shamelessly (and artlessly, I'm afraid, in retrospect, but we were caught-up in the moment).

Oh yeah, I just about fell out of my chair on the foie course... was it a shallot with the pickle, Judy?  That's how mine have been served the past few times I've been there.

Oh dear! If you, the teetotaler, are falling out of your chair what hope is there for the rest of us? I believe Z's foie was accompanied by a carmelized red onion or shallot, in addition to all those cherries and some pepper. Either he or one of the staff will (no doubt) jump in to correct me if I am mistaken.

And yes, the weather is outstanding - I'm inside working on my digest until it warms up a bit so I can go work in the garden. C'est bizarre.

M.F.K. Fisher

... oops - i didn't quite finish my description of the foie - i meant to write: "was that a shallot with the pickle(ed cherry), Judy?

... i guess my years in the colder environs have conditioned me. i was up watering my garden two hours ago - wonderful! not doing much for my tomatoes, this temperate weather, but i'll take a breather from the oppresive heat anytime!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I believe Z's foie was accompanied by a carmelized red onion or shallot, in addition to all those cherries and some pepper.  Either he or one of the staff will (no doubt) jump in to correct me if I am mistaken.

Yes, that was indeed the accompaniment. Failed to mention the Duo of Souffles earlier. Huge hit, I especially liked the lavender. Plus, the additional wait gives you the perfect excuse to have yet another cocktail.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I go to the Lounge often. I am so glad that there is a place that I can go when I get off of work. It is the only place in town that I know that has good food late. Their mussels are great. Mussels and fries you just can't go wrong. I think that I'm going to have to go in this week and have some. :biggrin:

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

• 4 weeks later...

You can see pictures from the James Beard House Event, where the bluestem crew were featured on July 18, 2006...

Edited to also make note of the fact that the great food you see was actually done after FedEx had misplaced (but found) the shipment of ingredients and prepared products... a large percentage had been ruined. So Congrats on the huge recovery!

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Yes, I second JWest's congratulations on taking the James Beard House! I look forward to hopefully trying out some of the food you served! It all looks great!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Congratulations on your Beard house appearance. I have been 3 times with friends and it was always a ton of work but fun. Pretty much beyond the Beard House, I know nothing of New York. Are you going to frame some of those photos to hang in the restaurant? Were they taken by the house photographer or did you take them.

by the way, I am sending a friend from Tulsa in to eat in a couple of weeks. He was asking where to eat, so I told him.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...

I didn't do the big deal because I had just spent a couple of hours hanging out with the BBQ crew in the parking lot in Shawnee. But I did stop off for some dessert. But before the dessert the pomme frites looked just too inviting and they were excellent. I especially liked the aioli dipping sauce. And the apple cake with kettle corn ice cream, yummmmm. The bonus, the bartender gave me great directions to get back to my hotel.

I will be back, that is for sure.

And the apple cake with kettle corn ice cream,  yummmmm.

Kettle corn ice cream? Pray thee do TELL! :raz:

u.e.

no tell, you just have to go on down and get some.

I'm not having kettle corn ice cream unless I've first had a pronto pup - is that on the wine bar menu now?

M.F.K. Fisher

Pronto pup?  :huh:  'splain - puhlease!

u.e.

Pronto Pup is the name brand of the corn dogs sold at [at least] the Kansas State Fair. Since kettle korn is also fair food, the association was immediate for me.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm not having kettle corn ice cream unless I've first had a pronto pup - is that on the wine bar menu now?

with encouragement, I would not be surprised if that talented crew in the kitchen could come up with something that would make you want to howl at the moon and stars. What kind of really cool mustard do you think they can devise to serve with the dog on a stick?