• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal in Gourmet

jamiemaw

i always knew there were multiple reasons i was thrilled to live here, but i almost cried with joy as i thumbed through my Gourmet Montreal Edition yesterday night. :smile:

the magazine itself is soo Montreal: joyful and not pretentious; they've taken the time to bring out some quiet legends like Elena Faita; and besides the obvious smoked meat/poutine references, we also hear about Jun i, Raza, and Anise, among others.

congratulations to all those name-checked in this issue, and congrats to the contributors. it's only their 6th city-themed issue, and they got to Montreal already! so encouraging, and the local food will be now, if anything, better than ever. :wub:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I understand , of course , and said that it was a little peeve of mine about the piece.

And I dont know how it would have been possible to do , but it just my feeling , and overall , the piece is exellent and if I would be a tourist , I would book a trip right away ! :biggrin:

I Did! :raz:

-Mike & Andrea

The massive Pharmaprix on St. Laurent had two issues left ... the magazine store next to Laika on St. Laurent and Duluth had several left as well ...

What can you complain about really? This is terrific publicity for our city. To nitpick on this and that (pg. 58 with the maple syrup, seriously now, how can you have a beef with that?) is ludicrous.

This is a great time for Montreal! Celebrate or shut - the - hell - up.

What can you complain about really? This is terrific publicity for our city. To nitpick on this and that (pg. 58 with the maple syrup, seriously now, how can you have a beef with that?) is ludicrous.

This is a great time for Montreal! Celebrate or shut - the - hell - up.

I thought the poster was clear that he just doesn't like maple syrup. And even if you do like it, that page is a weak link. It's the only one in the whole feature that doesn't talk about Quebec products (even though the province accounts for 80% of world production, as mentioned later in the issue). It's oddly placed, many pages away from the maple-oriented recipes. And as a maple lover, I have to question the emerging foodie preference (recently heard elsewhere) for C-grade syrup over A and AA. "C is for Cooking," as far as I'm concerned, and even then it usually has all the subtlety and finesse of a 2 x 4 with a rusty nail sticking out. But, hey, here's hoping C-grade syrup catches on. It will make it easier to snag the good stuff in the spring.

That said, it is a very nice issue. That one page is the only thing I've noticed that's worth complaining about...but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

I thought I was clear about my position re: syrup - anyone is more than welcome to my portions.

As for the other two points.

1. The cover says "handmade cheeses" but nothing on Quebec's cheese production inside.

2. Why stick with national brands rather than showcase some of the more interesting wineries in Canada? Then again, I could say the same thing about the BCLCB, LCBO, SAQ and Wine Spectator, though our beloved monopoly has problems of its own.

It's still a good issue; perhaps Reichl et al. could consider follow-ups.

Just got back from 3 days wining and dining in Montreal

(especially loved Club Chasse et Peche and Garçon), and can't wait to

see if my impressions correspond to those in the Gourmet issue,

and to read Lesley's highly-praised piece, but

sadly.... can't get my hands on a copy! I live 1 hr. from Montreal,

and even at our local magazine shop, in nearby Sherbrooke, the

magazine has sold out. Who would ever guess Sherbrooke had

so many foodies! So if anyone knows where I can get a copy,

pls. let me know.

Thanks!

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

I am going to Montreal this weekend for 3 days with my girlfriend. I didn't realize the issue was this months but after reading egullet and finding out about gourmet's issue, I went to the newsstand in my office building and got the issue. But I live in NY so that might be a long way to get the issue. I just started to look at it on my commute this morning and it looks great. Three days is not be enough time to try all the places. Rather than try to over schedule the trip I think we are just going to go around the different areas and exlpore!

Thanks,

Jeff

I found out a few days after buying the magazine that Pinback will be playing in Montreal in May. Since all I ever get to see in Montreal is the view from the Voyageur bus, the metro and the inside of whatever club the show is at, this time I will be planning to stay the whole weekend and hope to have a list of things I want to see and do planned out before I leave.

I have stayed overnight after concerts before but these experiences have ranged from staying up from 2 am to 6 am at the bus terminal and being the scariest looking person on the bus to Ottawa the next morning, sketchy hotels (never let the cab driver choose your hotel at 2 am if you don't know the neighborhood :blink:) and even sketchier hotels (don't arrive in Montreal on thanksgiving weekend without having booked a room ahead :shock: )

So despite having experienced Montreal the wrong way, 3 times and still having an amazing time, I very much plan to take advantage of these threads to have an even better time.

I can't remember if the article mentioned the abundance of cute guys in Montreal, I wonder if there is a suburb where all the ugly people are banished to?

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Sight the March magazines are being removed today so I totally missed out on this issue. Do you think I can get old issues from a Canadian distributor?

That's a bit fast for Benjamin News to be doing that, since the magazine released 21-Feb-2006. Chances are very poor that you would be able to get old copies from them, so your best bet would be to try your luck with friends who don't live in Montreal.

I can confirm that the 3 shops in Pearson were sold out as of last Friday, but there were plenty of copies in Newark and Raleigh. I think your best bet is a friend in the US. Have them send it in plain brown paper wrapping.

:biggrin:

A request for any kindly montreal egulleteers, I am heading to your fair city in late april and I would have dearly loved to grab a copy of the gourmet magazine but it appears to be impossible to find in Australia. If anybody could snag a copy and mail it to me, I would really appreciate it. All costs will, of course, be reimbursed via paypal. PM me for details.

PS: I am a guy.

Has anyone heard of a Collector's Edition of this issue being released ? I was told there was one, and it included more lengthy articles and reviews/articles excluded from the regular edition.

If so, would it be available at your average Barnes & Noble type store in US cities (specifically NYC)? Any ideas on how to verify this for a friend to pick one up for me (as opposed to running around himself looking for it).

Thanks!

Has anyone heard of a Collector's Edition of this issue being released ? I was told there was one, and it included more lengthy articles and reviews/articles excluded from the regular edition.

If so, would it be available at your average Barnes & Noble type store in US cities (specifically NYC)? Any ideas on how to verify this for a friend to pick one up for me (as opposed to running around himself looking for it).

Thanks!

As a subscriber I would be very pissed if there was a separate "Collector's Edition" as I did not receive it. I would feel cheated as if they held out on me.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks!

As a subscriber I would be very pissed if there was a separate "Collector's Edition" as I did not receive it. I would feel cheated as if they held out on me.

Same for me as a longtime subscriber ie over 15 years I would be really upset if the subscribers would not have received it...Has anyone called Gourmet to find out??

Alida

Still Looking for copies?

Costco had stacks when I went on Friday. At a dollar off the normal cover price, too!

Gotta love Costco.

Non-Cosco members, do you need a hook-up? Should I pick up a pile?

Fireweed