• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newbie here, On a Quest to find the Best Rum

DERF

Hello All

My name is Fred and I'm from Kalamazoo.

Rum has been my Favorite drink for the past ten years. At a friends home about 10 years ago, he mixed up a Captian n Coke for me with a lime and It was Love at first sip.

Then I discovered Cruzan 2yr and 5yr old Rums about Three years ago. Very tasty Rum IMHO (with or without a lime), However that discovery just lead to me craving to find even better Aged Rums.

So, I am on a Quest to find the Best Rum my taste buds can find. :biggrin:

My Favorite so far is Pyrat XO Reserve.

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

One of my favs is Ron Zacapa Centenario. Haven't had anyone that I gave a taste to not love it.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy Ron Zacapa Centenario make sure you get the 23 year old (not the 15 year old). Both are good but the 23 y/o is superb as a sipping rum. It seems it would be a sacrilege to mix it with anything except maybe an ice cube. Here in South Florida it sells anywhere from $40-$45 a bottle. :raz:

Hey Sadistick, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario for costs.

BTW, Pyrat Planter's Gold XO isn't bad but the Pyrat Cask 23 (40 year old) is the best rum that has ever touched my lips...and it should be for what it costs! $239/bottle here in my area, and $180/bottle direct from the factory in Anguilla when my wife visits there. Thank you honey!!! :wub::smile: