• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Helping the Food Network

project

Frankie Johnson's.

Frankie Johnson's FireHouse Diner (with a blinky neon 'u' while everything else stays lit).

But what would people go there to "eat"? Hooters has it's wings...

Cockles and Muscles alive, alive-o

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Frankie Johnson's.

Frankie Johnson's FireHouse Diner (with a blinky neon 'u' while everything else stays lit).

jsolomon, you are too much!

to eat: Sausages, natch. Weenies, as Fistfulla' suggested. And Cockles ... :laugh::laugh:

Now, what would the waiters wear?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

...Now, what would the waiters wear?

Well, I'd adore to see them in tighty whiteys emblazoned with a picture of a

wood-y-pecker, but they'll probably be in those shiny skimpy running shorts with tight white ribbed tanks, emblazoned with a wood-y-pecker.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Hey kids, someone else understands and is trying another tack re Sara and the demise of the Food Network....

Bring Back Sara Moulton

Obviously Sara is going on to better things, but hey, if you feel like complaining, why not take it to the person who's to blame?

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Frankie Johnson's.

to eat: Sausages, natch. Weenies, as Fistfulla' suggested. And Cockles ... :laugh::laugh:

Thongs, of course. (Along with the tux collar and bow tie.)

And all the dishes would be served in baskets.

Now, as for the backstory:

Frankie was Howard Johnson's bachelor uncle...

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I have long held the belief that the Food Network could really improve itself immediately if they handed a number of their chefs/hosts a thesaurus or two.

You can describe food as "excellent" and "awesome" only so many times.

I admit I like to turn on Food Network after I have had a few drinks with friends. I turn down the sound and make up my own commentary.

Edited by Mrs.Jenner (log)

I have long held the belief that the Food Network could really improve itself immediately if they handed a number of their chefs/hosts a thesaurus or two.

I admit I like to turn on Food Network after I have had a few drinks with friends. I turn down the sound and make up my own commentary.

MST3K for the Food network. Who wants to do it with me?

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I couldn't agree more Mrs. Jenner. Probably one of the absolute worst in this regard was Keith Famie. Talk about milking your 15 minutes of fame, this guy was a chef and a former unsuccessful contestant on Survivor. FTV went on to give him his own show "Keith Famie's Adventures" I think it was called, one of those never-been-done-before FTV shows where they send someone to different places and the host samples their food and responds to how well they like it. :blink: Being a chef you would think he of all people could find a multitude of ways to describe what he was eating but no. It was pretty much always the same response: "Uh (expressed in a kind of grunting manner), oooh, wow, this is really, really good!" as he bobbed his head up and down. Over and over and over again.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

If that is all that it takes to have a cooking show by bobbing your head and saying, "ooh that is really good." Then I should have my own show. I can do that. I can even tie my shoes.

Heck I can even peel a boiled egg.

I know that the Food Network is developing a close relationship with Sur La Table (I worked at corporate so I can amuse my friends with the sordid gossip) and quite frankly it isn't helping either one.

I think what helps Food Network is when they encourage people to step out of their comfort zone and to say, "of course you can do this."

I am so fed up with the Food Network. I like to devote most of my "relaxing time" to learning about things like food and cooking. When I moved to Halifax this summer, I signed up to fork over not just for the basic cable package, but for an additional "Life Style" package in order to get the Food Network. I have never been a "tv watcher," but I make exceptions for a few things, like cooking shows. When I discovered Food Network, I thought it was a dream come true. Now, it seems like I'm just paying to see ads, interspersed with people who give tips I already know, backed up with the wrong explanation. I've basically just stopped watching. I'm going to cancel the Life Style package tomorrow.

I think what helps Food Network is when they encourage people to step out of their comfort zone and to say, "of course you can do this."

If the direction Iron Chef America has taken lately is any guide, the viewers may agree with you.

Some of them, at least.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 3 months later...

Looks like we won: It appears that Ms. Sara Moulton is now

back on Food TV with <i>Sara's (Secrets)</i>.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

Looks like we won:  It appears that Ms. Sara Moulton is now

Are those new episodes or simply the reruns? link by any chance?

Either way, I'll watch!

SB :smile:

Looks like we won:  It appears that Ms. Sara Moulton is now

Are those new episodes or simply the reruns? link by any chance?

Either way, I'll watch!

SB :smile:

Either when she chatted with us on egullet or when I met her (I can't remember,) she said that they would be running re-runs until at least the Fall, I think. I'm pretty sure the move to PBS was set in stone, but I could be wrong.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Frankie Johnson's.

Thongs, of course. (Along with the tux collar and bow tie.)

And all the dishes would be served in baskets.

Now, as for the backstory:

Frankie was Howard Johnson's bachelor uncle...

Would this be the same Frankie who went to Hollywood?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Well, whatever channel Sara Moulton ends up on, I'll be watching.

What a novel idea -- just a nice person showing you how to cook some good food...

Imagine someone pitching that crazy idea on the Food Network: "Ah hell, that'll never fly! We need catchphrases! We need gimmicks! We need women with huge hair, humongous cleavage and great big insincere pearly-white werewolf-smiles and lots and lots of beautiful friends who can come to dinner and gush over the food. We need lots of gushing; lots of it. And we need to talk to the audience like they're a bunch of lobotomized teletubbies."

"Ah hell, that'll never fly! We need catchphrases! We need gimmicks! We need women with huge hair, humongous cleavage and great big insincere pearly-white werewolf-smiles and lots and lots of beautiful friends who can come to dinner and gush over the food. We need lots of gushing; lots of it. And we need to talk to the audience like they're a bunch of lobotomized teletubbies."

Hold on!

I'll grab my checkbook.

SB (aspiring network bigshot) :cool:

"Ah hell, that'll never fly! We need catchphrases! We need gimmicks! We need women with huge hair, humongous cleavage and great big insincere pearly-white werewolf-smiles and lots and lots of beautiful friends who can come to dinner and gush over the food. We need lots of gushing; lots of it. And we need to talk to the audience like they're a bunch of lobotomized teletubbies."

Hold on!

I'll grab my checkbook.

Guys just be sure not to leave out incessant giggling, you can't have a show without giggling!.

Hold on!

I'll grab my checkbook.

Guys just be sure not to leave out incessant giggling, you can't have a show without giggling!.

Or better yet, jiggling! :laugh:

SB (although "incessant jiggling" might be a bit much?) :wink:

I think Rachel Ray has that one covered for the whole network. :wink:

David

Yes, she is giggling and jiggling all the way to the bank.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver