• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon in Mexico

shelora

I understand that the cinnamon used in Mexico is Ceylon cinnamon (not Sri Lanka). I cart big bags of it home every year. It is much more aromatic and with a softer bark than the usual variety available up here, is easily ground.

But one thing I have forgotten to ask in the market is whether it is imported from Sri Lanka or is it being grown in Mexico.

Anyone know?

I will ask the spice vendor next time I'm at the tianguis.  If I can get there tomorrow morning, I will be back here posthaste.

Thanks Esperanza. I knew someone who could help me would surface eventually.

I'll wait patiently for your answer.

S

Edited by shelora (log)

Shelora,

I'm glad I'm not the only one with cinnamon on the brain right now. Over the past few days, I have been making a lot of Greek recipes. Cinnamon has been used in several of the recipes.

After having the differences between cassia and ceylon cinnamon it drilled into my head bc of my background in Mexican cooking, I'm asking myself which one? The flavor profiles are quite different My books don't tell me, and I don't have a Greek grandma to ask.

If anyone knows... please advise!

Caarina

Shelora,

I'm glad I'm not the only one with cinnamon on the brain right now.  Over the past few days, I have been making a lot of Greek recipes.  Cinnamon has been used in several of the recipes. 

After having the differences between cassia and ceylon cinnamon it drilled into my head bc of my background in Mexican cooking,  I'm asking myself which one?  The flavor profiles are quite different  My books don't tell me, and I don't have a Greek grandma to ask. 

If anyone knows... please advise!

Caarina

After buying the Ceylon cinnamon in Mexico, I use it for every recipe calling for the stuff regardless of ethnic origin. I grind up a batch to shake on dishes as well - it's soooo good.

That other stuff works only as a stirstick for a hot rum toddy or hot apple cider.

Good question though.

Edited by shelora (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Ceylon Cinnamon is definitely the preferred cinnamon of Mexico and England. It has a citrus overtone and a beautiful, rich color. Ceylon is not as strong as Cassia nor is it as sweet.

When I see cookbooks that call for cinnamon in their recipes for Mexican dishes I automatically use canela which I buy in the supermarket. Nice thing about living in CA is that a lot of Mexican ingredients are readily avilable even in small rural towns.

30 miles away is a town with a large Mexican population that has almost everything one would want.