• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

D.C. restaurants

Debbie S

We are visiting D.C. for Spring Break mid-March and we would like to use a $250 restaurant gift certificate that we received from our investment advisor. However, we can only use the certificate at one of the following restaurants: 701 Penn, Capitol Grille, Georgia Brown, Morton’s Steakhouse, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. Which of these restaurants would you recomend? I'll be traveling with my husband, two kids (12 & 14 yrs old) and my mother-in-law. The kids and I are adventurous eaters but my husband and MIL are of the meat and potatoes for every meal ilk. Thanks for your help.

Debbie S.

I hope that you have a chance to sneak out for something adventurous while you are here -- maybe some Ethiopian food - but for meat and potatoes I'd go with Capitol Grille, even though I usually urge boycotts of restaurants who spell grill "grille." Great dry-aged beef and very "Washington" feel -- you may see influence actually in the process of being peddled at the next table. Also close enough to walk to from the National Gallery (Cezanne and Dada) or the Hill. Morton's is well-regarded, too, but there's probably one withing driving distance of your house by now. Avoid Ruth's Chris at all costs.

701 is considered safe but boring. Georgia Brown's gets mixed reviews, but their Southern-style cooking was pretty good last time I ate it, and it has its devotees.

What an odd mix of restaurants. I'm trying to think what they have in common to all be on the same gift certificate. Any clues?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I think Cap Grille might be the best bet too, but I am wondering how far $250 will go there if you're feeding 3 adults and 2 teens.

I think Georgia Brown's has the most interesting menu of all those choices (all of them are really tame options), but their food is not very good in my experience--it tends to be oversalted, and I have a high salt tolerance.

we can only use the certificate at one of the following restaurants:  701 Penn, Capitol Grille, Georgia Brown, Morton’s Steakhouse, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. 

It's like the Washington Shopper's Plate for restaurants :smile:

While I've always had great luck at Ruth's Chris, I too would say Capitol Grille for the dry-aged beef.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I've never had a bad meal at 701, so that would be my recommendation. Their food isn't outrageously innovative but it is tasty, and you should be able to feed all five of you at dinner for under the $250, especially if you go during pre-theatre hours.

I haven't been to Cap Grille, though, and all I know is it's expensive. Still, with a $250 discount off, there'll never be a better time to try it...

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Sounds like Capitol Grille is our best bet. We got the certificate from Charles Schwab so i'm not sure what the marketing strategy is. We live in San Antonio so you are right that we have a Morton's here and also Ruth Chris. $250 is more money than we would usually spend at a restaurant so we are excited about our big night out in D.C. I was planning to sneak out to an Ethiopian restaurant at some point with the kids. Is the Red Sea still there? I was going to check the other messages for some suggestions on D.C. restaurants in general. I am also hoping for warm weather as we don't have much in the way of winter clothing. Thanks.

Debbie

The Red Sea is long gone, but a new wave of restaurants has turned the area around 9th and U Streets Northwest into a veritable little Ethiopia in the last few years. Very convenient via subway. Dukem (12th and U) and Etete (9th) seem to be the favorites, I like Abiti, as well.

Here is a sometimes spirited diuscussion of less expensive places.

You can also look here and here.

Good luck on the warm weather -- DC in March can be 60 and sunny or 40, with a wind whipping through the concrete corridors.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll check out the links. I'm excited about the Ethiopian food as we don't have anything like that down here. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Debbie S.