• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joe's Peking Duck--new incarnation?

mkfradin

Joe's Peking Duck in Philly's Chinatown was a standby for me throughout the 80's. I moved away in the 90's but continued to visit it until I heard it closed. I remember reading that the owner had opened a new place in Bucks County, I think. Does anyone have the name, address, opinions on the new place? In the alternative, is there another place in the area that's even close? I still dream about the noodle soup.

Marjorie

Joe's Peking Duck in Philly's Chinatown was a standby for me throughout the 80's.  I moved away in the 90's but continued to visit it until I heard it closed.  I remember reading that the owner had opened a new place in Bucks County, I think.  Does anyone have the name, address, opinions on the new place?  In the alternative, is there another place in the area that's even close?  I still dream about the noodle soup.

Marjorie

Marjorie:

There's a Joe's Peking Duck in Marlton in the shopping center just south of the Marlton Circle on Route 73, behind Olga's Diner. It's run by one of the former managers of the original Chinatown location.

I haven't had the noodle soup there, but the Singapore Noodles and the Peking Duck are just as good as ever. This place is a frequent stop for me in the summer on the way home from Long Beach Island.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Joe's Peking Duck in Philly's Chinatown was a standby for me throughout the 80's.  I moved away in the 90's but continued to visit it until I heard it closed.  I remember reading that the owner had opened a new place in Bucks County, I think.  Does anyone have the name, address, opinions on the new place?  In the alternative, is there another place in the area that's even close?  I still dream about the noodle soup.

Marjorie

The place is now called Chinatown Cafe and is still owned by the former Joes Peking Duck House people. I think they have the same chef too because it's the same as I had when it was on Race Street. The noodle soups are indeed great as are many other items on his lengthy menu. This is the only authentic Chinese around here and a welcome addition to the neighborhood. There is a thread somewhere on the PA forum but I couldn't locate it.

It is located at 1862 W Maple Ave in Langhorne, PA

Phone: (215) 757-3353

It is in a strip center anchored by a CVS store. It is really great and I love the fact that it is literally 10 minutes from my house with no parking issues!

Joe's was something of a spin-off from Sang Kee, which is still going strong on 9th street, and makes incredible noodle soups, Peking Duck, etc...

And Joe Poon, one of the former Sang Kee guys that started it up, is back doing his Joe Poon thing in Chinatown as well. Not quite the same thing as Joe's, but he still makes a heck of a Peking Duck,

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Marjorie

Marjorie:

There's a Joe's Peking Duck in Marlton in the shopping center just south of the Marlton Circle on Route 73, behind Olga's Diner. It's run by one of the former managers of the original Chinatown location.

I haven't had the noodle soup there, but the Singapore Noodles and the Peking Duck are just as good as ever. This place is a frequent stop for me in the summer on the way home from Long Beach Island.

I will have to try it again as you are one of my most trusted DeBellaware Valley sources, but the one time I got the namesake Peking Duck I thought it would be a little better considering they get many rave reviews.

If you haven't already, try Food For Thought in the same shopping center. It's very good and I'd rate the crab cakes ahead of Bobby Chez. And I love Bobby.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

The place is now called Chinatown Cafe and is still owned by the former Joes Peking Duck House people. I think they have the same chef too because it's the same as I had when it was on Race Street. The noodle soups are indeed great as are many other items on his lengthy menu. This is the only authentic Chinese around here and a welcome addition to the neighborhood. There is a thread somewhere on the PA forum but I couldn't locate it.

Phone:  (215) 757-3353 

It is in a strip center anchored by a CVS store.  It is really great and I love the fact that it is literally 10 minutes from my house with no parking issues!

This is a different place and owner than Joe's from the 80s. Joe from the 80s is Joe Poon who is doing the semi-restaurant & catering thing above the vegetarian place on Cherry.

Chinatown Cafe is run by Cary, who had Joe's before it closed.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It is in a strip center anchored by a CVS store.  It is really great and I love the fact that it is literally 10 minutes from my house with no parking issues!

This is a different place and owner than Joe's from the 80s. Joe from the 80s is Joe Poon who is doing the semi-restaurant & catering thing above the vegetarian place on Cherry.

You are absolutely correct. It is run by Cary and it still tastes really good, perhaps not as good or the same as when Poon ran it

I might get in trouble with my peeps,but the place for roast meats and noodles is ting wong on tenth st. next to imperial inn.the congee , soups and meats are as good as toronto or H.K.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

I might get in trouble with my peeps,but the place for roast meats and noodles is ting wong on tenth st. next to imperial inn.the congee , soups and meats are as good as toronto or H.K.

You think so? I mean, I think the place is solid for Philly and maybe even for NE US, but not as good as HK.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

After passing by this place dozens of times, I went for take-out last night based on this thread. Glad I did.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)