• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pie & Mash w/liquor, stewed eel, eel pie

sanrensho

I recently saw a fascinating documentary on the tradition of Pie & Mash shops in the East End of London. This was a documentary produced by NHK, the Japanese equivalent of CBC. Well, my interest is now piqued.

I've never had pie & mash w/liquor, stewed eel, or eel pie. Is there anywhere in Vancouver that serves these?

Thanks.

-Kenji

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Having lived and worked in the East End I've only had a pie once...I found them chewy and pretty awful and it took me several pints of Guiness to wash them down and I love eel when it's smoked, grilled, or in a soup. I think a pie company offering these anywhere in N.A. would have a short life span.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Having lived and worked in the East End I've only had a pie once...I found them chewy and pretty awful and it took me several pints of Guiness to wash them down and I love eel when it's smoked, grilled, or in a soup.

You're doing an excellent job of convincing me not to pursue this quest any further. Have you ever tried jellied eels?

Having lived and worked in the East End I've only had a pie once...I found them chewy and pretty awful and it took me several pints of Guiness to wash them down and I love eel when it's smoked, grilled, or in a soup.

You're doing an excellent job of convincing me not to pursue this quest any further. Have you ever tried jellied eels?

My mum swears by jellied eels...I have not tried them :unsure: and most likley will not :biggrin:

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

If you happen to have read Guenther Grass's "The Tin Drum" - and his highly evocative description of catching eels by fishing with a old horse head on a string and waiting until the eels have burrowed their way into the horse's cranial cavity before pulling the whole mess out of the canal...well, you will not be ordering an eel pie anytime soon.

If you happen to have read Guenther Grass's "The Tin Drum" - and his highly evocative description of catching eels by fishing with a old horse head on a string and waiting until the eels have burrowed their way into the horse's cranial cavity before pulling the whole mess out of the canal...well, you will not be ordering an eel pie anytime soon.

Tin Drum is one of my favourite all-time books. And I love eel.

My mum swears by jellied eels...I have not tried them :unsure: and most likley will not :biggrin:

Stephen

I have had jellied eels a few times in the East End and i can honestly say that they are " mingin` "

Pie and Mash as a concept does sound quiet appealing, but in practice ... hmmm... it`s not something that most English people go out their way to eat. i found it to be an experience thats best enjoyed in situ or at least the best part was the ' situ ' as the Pie and mash shops have a charm thats all their own.

A charm in which a transplant to the west coast would, i fear, be lost in translation.

tt