• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin Late Nght Dining

Kent Wang

Closes at: 11 pm

Friday-Saturday only. Asti. Italian fine dining, Hyde Park area. Absolute best desserts in town. Don't feel guilty about asking for the dessert menu as soon as you sit down, I do that regularly.

Midnight

Hyde Park Bar & Grill. Centrally located in Hyde Park, excellent fries, large portions, good value. Cheapest restaurant in which you will find waiters in uniforms. La Dolce Vita is right next door.

La Dolce Vita. Bar, gelato, espresso. Dimly lit, very small (inside seats 12 max).

1 am

T&S Seafood. Excellent traditional Cantonese Chinese food. Like the Chronicle says, Salt & Pepper (fried and mixed with salt and a chile oil) anything is good.

2 am

Wednesday-Sunday only. Marco Polo. South Austin, pretty good traditional Chinese food, not as good as T&S.

24 hour

Star Seeds. Campus area, greasy spoon diner.

Magnolia. Two locations in South Austin, eclectic diner with breakfast foods, Tex-mex, pasta.

Kat'z Deli. New York deli chain, not too shabby.

Kerbey Lane. Where UT students without cars or good taste go to eat. Avoid.

Any others? I'm a bit of a night owl.

• 4 weeks later...

Beware, Marco Polo has changed its hours. On certain days, it's only open until midnight. I can't remember the exact details but definitely call before going there.

I just tried Sam's the other week. It's not just good que if you're sauced, it's good que period. They use wood and according to the server, run the pits all day to satisfy demand. I'm a little skeptical about the "all day" bit and wouldn't doubt the meat you get at 3am has probably been sitting around since the afternoon, but it's still fine 'Q.

The highlights for me are the ribs and mutton.

On another note, Sam's is located in a scary part of town. Not that I can't handle myself, but it is definitely scarier than any other restaurant that I've been to in Austin. Much scarier than Juan in a Million, Arandinas or Tony's Southern Comfort.

• 3 weeks later...

Maiko on 6th is open til 3am on weekends. It's no Musashino but they have very decent sushi and i'm always pleased.

Las Cazuelas is a tasty mexican option on east cesar chavez and open until midnight weekdays and 3:30am on weekends. Mostly Spanish speaking staff so come armed with a spanish speaker or a healthy knowledge of mexican dishes. they have the largest menu of items i've ever seen. pretty much any mexican dish you might want they will have.

I just read that Capitol Brasserie (in the old Mezzaluna location) is open until 1am on Friday and Saturday nights. So, I guess if you're toasted and feeling the need for a $50 dinner, you can get it. Sounds like something I might do when my tax refund check gets in.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I just read that Capitol Brasserie (in the old Mezzaluna location) is open until 1am on Friday and Saturday nights. So, I guess if you're toasted and feeling the need for a $50 dinner, you can get it. Sounds like something I might do when my tax refund check gets in.

On Friday and Saturday CB is open until 3am.

• 7 months later...

Taqueria Vallarta Jalisco, on E. Riverside, (I think the cross street is Lakeshore blvd.), is open until 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 a.m., depending on the day of the week. The food there is solid and inexpensive Tex-Mex, and their cilantro-y salsa is great. The servers probably won't speak English, but menu items are numbered for ease of ordering. They also have a drive-through window. It's a hole-in-the-wall type of place, but if you're in the mood for that kind of food, you will probably leave satisfied.

The mussels at CB are wonderful... swimming in tarragon. The frites are good as well. crisp, nicely salted. It wasn't a $50.00 dinner .... may be low $40.00's.

I do plan to go back. great food!

• 1 year later...

What are some good late night eats places in Austin? I'm not really super familiar with the city, but I am guessing there must be something in the city around the capitol and UT campus.

Open to all suggestions cuisine wise, but I am obviously looking for non national chain places and looking for places that say Austin or "weird" :cool:

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

parkside, a fairly new restaurant from shawn cirkiel is open till 2:00am serving their full menu. roasted marrow bones, mmmm.

star seeds on i-35 just past manor rd.

magnolia cafe on lake austin

the onion on fifth st for pizza