• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Bound

SBonner

Helen and I are over to Victoria this weekend to check out some brewpubs, pick up local cheeses, and eat :huh:

Any recommendations for Sunday brunch???

Thank you,

Stephen and Helen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Helen and I are over to Victoria this weekend to check out some brewpubs, pick up local cheeses, and eat :huh:

Any recommendations for Sunday brunch???

Thank you,

Stephen and Helen

Try the Oak Bay Marina which is hugely popular. I advise a reservation.

If I can actually manage breakfast, I like the Rosemeade and for something hip and young stand in line with the former and the latter at either Mole or The Blue Fox. For something completely different, try Deep Cove Chalet out in Deep Cove. Just a hop, skip and a jump to/from B.C. ferries.

For something working class, there is also Kitty's Hideaway on Douglas for big as your face toasted cinnamon buns and corned beef hash.

What's your pleasure?

Stephen/Shelora:

We are flying in Saturday a.m. as well. Way too early for this fellow who "enjoys" his Friday nites but "pays the price" on Saturday a.m.

Dinner that night with "Sparky et al" , dinner Sunday at Rosemeade...Monday maybe Paprika or Brio...in all liklihood Brasserie again on Tuesday...

Will have to fill in some lunches and the like.

Is that spot in "Dragon's Alley" still open at this time of year? Cucina?

I had a great breakfast over the Christmas holidays at Mole or Mo:le or whatever this place is called. Overheard staff talking about Andrew Morrison of E-gullet fame and his positive review of the restaurant. Cool art on the walls, too.

Stephen/Shelora:

Will have to fill in some lunches and the like.

Is that spot in "Dragon's Alley" still open at this time of year?  Cucina?

Cucina is open Mon to Sat. Cash only. Limited hours though, best to get there at noon.

Another spot for a hearty lunch is Choux Choux on Fort St. Their daily Plat du Jour at $6.99 is amazing. While you eat you can decide which of their daily sausages and pates to take home.

If you like simple and authentic Japanese food, I would suggest Daidoco in Nootka Court. These three recommendations are all open on Monday.

Tuesday you might want to try Zambri's for lunch (closed Monday). You can enjoy a glass of wine here along with great food.

Sandy and I are also heading over this weekend. Perhaps we'll wildy flash the decoder ring and see who's eyes glimmer :biggrin:

We're going to Blue Crab for sure on Saturday night for some Dinearound goodness.

And i may just have to brave the lines of Blue Fox just for old times sake.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Thanks Shelora.

We'll try to get to Cucina.

Choux-Choux is definitely on the list...how far is it up Fort? We'll be walking. I looked for it without success during our last visit. Not sure our fellow WestJet passengers would appreciate the sausages and pate en route back to Edmonton but we'll see :biggrin:

Daidoco would be perfect for me. Not so sure about my "significantly better half" who is not as big a fan of Asian food, particularly raw seafood.

We'll likely be at Zambri's at noon on Tuesday or Wednesday as we usually end up there for at least one lunch each visit. Such "honest" rustic food. I had some roast chicken with a spicy sauce and soft polenta that was to kill for in the Fall as was the duck ragu with green olives over grilled polenta.

Appreciate the suggestions...looking forward to the week-end

Thanks Shelora.

We'll try to get to Cucina. 

Choux-Choux is definitely on the list...how far is it up Fort?  We'll be walking.  I looked for it without success during our last visit.  Not sure our fellow WestJet passengers would appreciate the sausages and pate en route back to Edmonton but we'll see :biggrin:

Choux Choux, 830 Fort St. between Blanshard and Vancouver St., 250-382-7572.

I think your fellow passengers would be very jealous.:wink:

Daidoco is not your average Japanese restaurant, although they do a steady trade catering to the teriyaki crowd. Fish used is literally caught that morning -excellent sourcing - and the organic produce these days is mind blowing. Ever heard of butter bur? It's part of the greens selection used in the tiny dishes available. I'm going for lunch today, fresh crab and rock fish are being delivered this morning. I worship Daidoco.

I am one of the few posters who did NOT like MoLe. I had fritters that were raw in the middle with a weird sauce, the music was too loud, and the tables were too close. Maybe I just ate the wrong thing.

I'd go for Willie's Bakery myself or one of the other suggestions.