• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beans & Grains

Veronica Volny

My local Whole Foods seems to have old cannellini beans, arborio rice, etc... lots of the bulk foods seem old. I soak my beans overnight and can boil them for hours and hours, and they are still crunchy! And other items I have been looking for, such as borlotti/cranberry beans and farro, are not available. Would anyone know of a good online source for these products?

Thank you! Veronica

My local Whole Foods seems to have old cannellini beans, arborio rice, etc... lots of the bulk foods seem old. I soak my beans overnight and can boil them for hours and hours, and they are still crunchy! And other items I have been looking for, such as borlotti/cranberry beans and farro, are not available. Would anyone know of a good online source for these products?

Thank you!  Veronica

I don't get into too many exotic items, but for basics I like to order from Bob's Red Mill. They have a display at my local supermarket and health food store but I also like to order from them online.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php

slowday

I'm a bean and split pea soup genius.

Old is the key with you. Old beans can be impossible to cook. Supermarkets with good turnover can be much better than Whole Foods. Try to find one that has a lot of "ethnics" and immigrants shopping there and the bean turnover will be higher

Beans have to be soaked 12-24 hours. Chickpeas are the worst as far as when they are old you just cannot cook them properly until nice and soft. They need 24 hours and even then you better cross your fingers. Most others you can skate by with 12 hours. I never toss the soaking water, cook the beans in it.

NEVER ADD SALT UNTIL BEANS ARE SOFT!

I use a pressure cooker myself

gl

It may be one of those, "I was raised on..." things, but I just couldn't get along without Camellia Brand peas and beans. They come in a snug bag that keeps them from getting pounded to a powder in handling. I've never found any other that has such lovely product with very little to sort out, often nothing. When I'm back in N.O. I get them at Zuppardo's on Vets and Transcontinental in Metairie. Haven't been back post-K, but have had wonderful results ordering from source for beans, The Cajun Connection. They are in Pearl River, La. Ph: 504-914-8371. They also carry lots of desirable stuff like crab boil, Crystal hot sauce, and many other's on the wish lists of those of us who know what it means.......

Hope this helps.

I'm a big fan of RanchoGordo's beans (and corn tortillas!) as well.

Another very good online source that carries a wide selection of beans (and also grains) is Phipp's Country Store. They are located in Pescardero in the Santa Cruz Mountains south of SF; it's a fun place to visit if you are in the area. Many of the beans they sell are grown right there at the ranch.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Regarding salting beans, in my experience it doesn't matter when salt is added. It is acid that will keep beans from becoming tender. I have always lightly salted dried beans of every type at the beginning of cooking, whether soaked overnight or with the "quick-soak" method.

However, if anything acid is added,( tomatoes are a particular problem), the skins will remain tough. Also keep in mind that as the liquid reduces the salt becomes more pronounced, thus the "lightly" salted in the beginning.

I would like to add another online vendor from whom I have received excellent products, beans, grains, etc. Indian Harvest

(click on the Retail button)

I particularly like the autumn lentil blend, the black garbanzos and the black beluga lentils.

I just placed an order a few days ago for two new items, wild rice flour and grano, an Italian whole grain wheat.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett