• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington Wine Weekend

Some friends and I want to take a trip to some Washington wineries, sort of like what can be done down in Napa Valley. I've not known anyone to take a make a weekend of Washington wineries so I don't know where to start getting ideas of where to go or stay, or even what tasting rooms would be open in this, the off season of Eastern Washington travel.

Can any of you think of any ideas for me?

I would go to Walla Walla, even though it's a longer drive than the Yakima Valley. Better food, better hotels and largely better wines...

Some links:

http://www.wallawallawine.com/

http://www.wallawalla.org/

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I assume that you already know about Woodinville: www.woodinvillewinecountry.com. Perhaps if you attended the Passport to Woodinville event, you could make a weekend of it.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

• 3 weeks later...
I assume that you already know about Woodinville: www.woodinvillewinecountry.com.  Perhaps if you attended the Passport to Woodinville event, you could make a weekend of it.

Do you know about this companion to wine weekend?

"Edge of Seattle's Culinary Weekend Intensive classes are located within L'Auberge Bed & Breakfast Inn in Woodinville, Washington and provide a unique culinary experience for those interested in hands-on cooking under the guidance of one of our country's most innovative chefs - Hope Sandler. Over night accommodations are available at a special rate for this weekend series. Please call (425) 844-4102 for room availability, rates and reservations, or visit us at http://www.edgeof-seattle-cooking.com.

The schedule for the intensive is Friday 5:00-10:00 pm, Saturday 4:00-9:00 pm, and Sunday 2:30-6:30 pm... perfect fit with the festival wine tastings during the day times...

Our culinary weekend is to be held in-conjuction with the "Boutique Wine Fest in Woodinville called Passport Wine Weekend scheduled for April 1 & 2, 2006:"

“Amuse-Bouche” Entertaining with Hors d'oeuvre, French Cheeses & Wine

Friday evening, March 30 – Sunday, April 2, 2006 Culinary Weekend Intensive

A perfect pairing with the Woodinville Passport Wine Weekend!

Join Chef Hope Sandler in this culinary weekend intensive focused on “amuse-bouche” or “amuse-the-mouth,” charming terms for perfect party bites and plated appetizers. Chef Hope will disclose the secret to stunning buffet presentations and guide you on a cook’s tour of French cheeses to pair with wines. With Chef Hope at your side you will prepare homemade hors d'oeuvre ideal for unexpected guests, elegant first-course appetizers, and formal dinners all with classic French flair. Expand your repertoire to include the classics, elegant bites, canapés, spreads and wraps; learn to show off your culinary skills; expertly pair great wines with scrumptious cheeses and appetizers.

Menu:

1. Chicken Liver Mousse with Cornichon & Baguette

2. Raclette Improvisee

3. Home Cured Dilled Gravlax with Dijon Sauce

4. Shrimp, Tomato, & Olive Cocktail

5. Dungeness Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce

6. Mini Boeuf en Croute

7. Filo Triangles filled with Spinach & Feta

8. Puff Pastry Pissaladieres

9. Leek & Camembert Tart

10. Tomato Tartlets

11. Miniature Tarragon Chicken Salad Tartlets

12. Tiny Roquefort Popovers

13. Goat Cheese Crisps with Wild Mushroom Ragout

14. Deviled Eggs with Bacon & Thyme

15. Perfumed Olives with Orange & Bay

16. Nicoise Platter with Garlic Aioli

17. Pear, Leek & Gruyere Turnovers

18. Wild Mushroom Frittata With Fresh Mint

19. Provencal Vegetable & Goat Cheese Terrine

20. Caramel Brie Wheel

21. Seasonal Fruit Cascade

Sounds FANTASTIC! Anyone attending? I'm seriously considering it.