• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transfer Sheets: Tips, Techniques & Care

jturn00

You are better off going this route.

Make a color transparency (like the ones used for over head projectors) and sandwich it between the isomalt.

Pour the isomalt, place the transparency on top then pour isomalt over the top to cover.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

You are better off going this route.

Make a color transparency (like the ones used for over head projectors) and sandwich it between the isomalt.

Pour the isomalt, place the transparency on top then pour isomalt over the top to cover.

Oooooh.....brilliant BriP.Guy! :wub:

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, question about ordering from Qzina, do you have to be a business to order from them? Or can you just call and they will tell you prices and let you spend away? I have been going through threads, and I am unclear if as of now you can only order through pcb directly in bulk for transfer sheets at 125 at a time?

So Q would be a better option? And can anyone give me an idea of the pricing they offer?

Thanks in advance,

Alicia

• 1 year later...

hi you guys! long time no see! still no word on the commercial building...we're looking at the old train depot now (yup, long story...) anyway, i am looking into buying custom printed transfer sheets, but for the quantity needed, i wasn't sure if i wanted to invest in that many if the cocoa butter might go bad? or dry out? or get those little spots/cracks in the design (has this happened to anyone?) :huh:

so, does anyone have any stories or ideas on transfer sheets, or storing them for longer shelf life? and if i go ahead with them, i'll make sure to post a pic when they're finished (in 4 weeks is what i've heard...) best wishes! and can't wait to see ya'll at the workshop in a few months?!!! :wink:

Same - I've got some that are going on 4. Make sure they are stored flat as they can tend to ripple. The rippling can be fixed when you use them, but sometimes its better to have a flat sheet. I keep mine on a bottom shelf, layed flat, under a baking sheet that never gets used.

wow...sounding good :) i've never bought more than a few of several designs at once, so they are always gone in a few months...i think i might take the plunge and go custom!? :) it sure does make me feel better knowing you all have had no problems with storing them...thank you! :biggrin:

I have had some for about three years. I store them flat with plactic wrap between them to protect the designs. I place sheets of cardboard at the bottom and top of my little stack for added protection, then lay an old and worn out cookie sheet on the top of the stack to keep them flat and weighted down to prevent them from curling

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I was looking at the transfer sheets in the Tomric catalog. $40.00 for one set. Is there anywhere where you can buy a lesser amount to try them out? Or the same amount...$40...but a mixed package?

I am such a novice that I can't bring myself to pay that much for something which I may not be able to use at all. :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I was looking at the transfer sheets in the Tomric catalog.  $40.00 for one set.  Is there anywhere where you can buy a lesser amount to try them out?  Or the same amount...$40...but a mixed package?

I am such a novice that I can't bring myself to pay that much for something which I may not be able to use at all.  :sad:

Beryl's will sell them to you by the each with a five sheet minimum.

Also Sugarcraft will sell you five assorted sheets, their choice.

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone, I have been reading and learning for some time on here and appreciate all of the wonderful experience and sense of community. I have a question regarding transfer sheets. I am a chocolatier in Northern California and have a small four flavor assortment with a transfer sheet design on each. I use a small square magnetic mold, El Rey 73.5% couverture, adhere my transfer sheets to the metal mold backing with a damp rag (I wipe the metal with the damp rag and then press bubbles out with a piece of parchment paper as recommended by my transfer sheet manufacturer). The issue is that our of the four designs I have, two of them have a solid colored cocoa butter background and two have a simple design in the center and the designs without the colored backgrounds come out fine 90%+ of the time. However, the designs with the solid backgrounds do not. I am lucky if I get 25% out in usable shape. The ambient temperature in my kitchen is about 68 and less that 60& humidity on average. I do not normally hit my molds with a hairdryer, although I have tried it and it has not helped with the release. I fill, vibrate, dump, vibrate again, turn over, scrape, and have into the refrigerator within three minutes. I allow the molds to sit in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, then remove and fill with ganache I have made the day before, which I then reheat just enough to be able to fill my molds, then allow to solidify again. They sit maybe an hour to become solid again, then I hit with a hair dryer to soften the edges and bottom. I return them to the refrigerator for a few minutes before unmolding. I have worked with the couverture at 88, 89, 90, and 91 and it makes no difference. I have tried leaving them overnight, slamming them out of the mold instead of popping the metal off the back (this normally makes the plastic pull off the chocolates and results often in the cocoa butter pulling off) however sometimes I can get the metal off without the plastic pulling off and then I can sometimes peel the plastic off slowly and get better results. I just feel like there has got to be a better way!Any advice you all can offer would be so appreciated. I am at the end of my rope...

Shelley Fields

www.wickedbonbon.com

IMG_1933.JPG

Also, make sure your ganache is not higher than 32 degrees celcius when you pipe into the moulds. You mentioned you're reheating it before depositing - if it's above 32'ish then you may be knocking the chocolate shells out of temper.

Sounds like somewhere between the reheating of the ganache and the hitting the bottom with a blow dryer (no reason that I see to do that), it's probably throwing the chocolate shells out of temper.

I would do as Kerry suggested and trying a higher temper, and try filling your shells while the ganache is still soft enough to pipe. I sometimes just work the pastry bag with my hands to soften it instead of heating it.

I've never had any problems with transfer sheets, and I used El Rey's 61% for a long time, tempered at 90 degrees. If you look on El Rey's website, they recommend only melting the chocolate to 108 degrees, which always seemed really low to me. I always melted it to 112-115 and it worked much better. So, maybe think about that as well.

I only put the molds in the fridge after I have sealed them if needed. But, they usually just fall out without any trouble.

Transfer sheet manufacturer recommended the blast with the hair dryer (not a heat gun), but with out without that, it didn't matter.

I heat the ganache up to liquid then cool to 70.

Kerry, I though bringing it over 92 would bring it out of temper? I am willing to try though... I am willing to try anything at this point.

I also bring up to 110-115 before bringing down to 86 then back to ~90.

The other issue I am having is the bottoms are cracking off after about six days.

Shelley

I might try taking the couverature even higher in temperature - as high as 94 F (34.5 C) and see if that makes a difference.

When just in temper then 34.5 is high for dark chocolate, but once it's been in temper for a while you can easily creep up to that without it going out of temper.

I don't use magnetic molds, but I think some people brush the chocolate in first, then pour. Would that work here? Just a question--why don't you make your shells the first day and make your ganache the second and put it in fresh? With any transfer, I like to leave them in place at least 12 hours before removing them. Some are ready in just a few minutes, others seem to take overnight.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com