• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosemary Simple Syrup

freshherbs

Dilute the Rosemary simple syrup with equal volume of fresh lemon juice. Then use 2 oz. Vodka or Gin and 2 oz. Lemon-Rosemary syrup shaken over ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.

Voila! Lemon-Rosemary martini.

We serve this at Amada (with vodka). It's called Tie Me Up, Tie me Down. (All of our specialty cocktails are named after Pedro Almodovar movies)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Dilute the Rosemary simple syrup with equal volume of fresh lemon juice.  Then use 2 oz. Vodka or Gin and 2 oz. Lemon-Rosemary syrup shaken over ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.

Voila!  Lemon-Rosemary martini.

We serve this at Amada (with vodka).  It's called Tie Me Up, Tie me Down.  (All of our specialty cocktails are named after Pedro Almodovar movies)

yum! thanks for the recipes

• 1 month later...

Deviating slightly from Katie...

I made a 2-1 honey syrup flavored with about a tablespoon of rosemary flowers and a few stray leaves.

I tried a bee's knees variation with my rosemary syrup, juice of half a lemon, a couple dashes Regan's orange bitters, and a good squirt of soda water.

Quite a tasty and refreshing drink!

I can only imagine how much better it would have been with gin!

:wink:

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

When it's in season, I'd be interested to learn how watermelon puree would play against the rosemary syrup. I make a watermelon-rosemary sorbet that's always a big hit. So....watermelon puree, rosemary syrup and....vodka? Midori? Gin?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Dilute the Rosemary simple syrup with equal volume of fresh lemon juice.  Then use 2 oz. Vodka or Gin and 2 oz. Lemon-Rosemary syrup shaken over ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a sprig of rosemary....

Sounds delish, Katie. Is there specific (or specific-ish) amount of rosemary used to flavor your rosemary simple syrup or do you wing it?

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Dilute the Rosemary simple syrup with equal volume of fresh lemon juice.  Then use 2 oz. Vodka or Gin and 2 oz. Lemon-Rosemary syrup shaken over ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a sprig of rosemary....

Sounds delish, Katie. Is there specific (or specific-ish) amount of rosemary used to flavor your rosemary simple syrup or do you wing it?

Kurt

Kurt:

I have to confess. The kitchen makes it for me so I don't actually know the exact proportions they're using. I'll try and find out.

I can tell you that I made Rosemary simple syrup at home once and I minced the rosemary and boiled it briefly in the syrup. Came out WAY too strong. Like sweetened PineSol! :blink: Blech! I suspect merely bruising the leaves with a rolling pin perhaps and not allowing them to steep for too long is the way to go.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

When it's in season, I'd be interested to learn how watermelon puree would play against the rosemary syrup.  I make a watermelon-rosemary sorbet that's always a big hit.  So....watermelon puree, rosemary syrup and....vodka?  Midori? Gin?

Slightly off-topic, but the way to do this is to make watermelon gin. The problem (okay, my problem; maybe I don't know how to make it) with watermelon puree is that it tends to separate out, and you're left with this sludge of little pink cells at the bottom of your glass.

But gin and watermelon work beautifully together: cut up the melon into cubes (maybe 1" x 1" x 1") and cover with a decent-proof gin -- Beefeater works well. Let sit a day or so and strain. It will pick up some sweetness, so check before deciding how much syrup to add.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

When it's in season, I'd be interested to learn how watermelon puree would play against the rosemary syrup.  I make a watermelon-rosemary sorbet that's always a big hit.  So....watermelon puree, rosemary syrup and....vodka?  Midori? Gin?

Slightly off-topic, but the way to do this is to make watermelon gin. The problem (okay, my problem; maybe I don't know how to make it) with watermelon puree is that it tends to separate out, and you're left with this sludge of little pink cells at the bottom of your glass.

But gin and watermelon work beautifully together: cut up the melon into cubes (maybe 1" x 1" x 1") and cover with a decent-proof gin -- Beefeater works well. Let sit a day or so and strain. It will pick up some sweetness, so check before deciding how much syrup to add.

Dave:

You could get more watermelon flavor and cut down on time by whirling the watermelon and gin through the blender, letting it sit overnight, shake it and then strain it through some cheesecloth (be sure to squeeze the last bits) to get the cellulose out. Voila! Watermelon Gin overnight.

Might be really tasty made with some Hendricks.

I suspect this concoction should then be refrigerated.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Sounds delish, Katie.  Is there specific (or specific-ish) amount of rosemary used to flavor your rosemary simple syrup or do you wing it?

For what it's worth, I used 1 cup of honey to 1/2 cup of water. Brought to a boil in the microwave, dumped in the TBSP of rosemary flowers and a couple stray leaves, let it steep for about 10 minutes and then strained through cheesecloth. If anything it's a little mild; but, that's all the flowers I had on my rosemary bush.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Made a rosemary simple syrup for a dessert tonight and have a bit left over.  Any ideas?

freshherbs,

What was your recipe? I'd try Eric's but rosemary flowers aren't likely to be in my future unless I grow them myself so if you happen to check in before Katie has a chance to check with her kitchen staff I'd be grateful for any pointers you'd care to provide.

Thanks.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

We just started carrying Stirrings syrups, one of which is a Rosemary based. We made a couple of cocktails using tequila. I don't remember the exact ratios, but I'm sure your syrup is going to be different anyway.

Think we just did tequila, rosemary syrup and lime juice.

Dilute the Rosemary simple syrup with equal volume of fresh lemon juice.  Then use 2 oz. Vodka or Gin and 2 oz. Lemon-Rosemary syrup shaken over ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.

...It's called Tie Me Up, Tie me Down.  (All of our specialty cocktails are named after Pedro Almodovar movies)

Tried a slightly drier version of the TMUTMD last night with Plymouth Gin and a dash of Regan's Orange Bitters (for two: 4oz gin, 3/4 oz syrup, 3/4 oz lemon).

Delicious and elegant cocktail.

edit - correct recipe

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...It's called Tie Me Up, Tie me Down.  (All of our specialty cocktails are named after Pedro Almodovar movies)

Tried a slightly drier version of the TMUTMD last night with Plymouth Gin and a dash of Regan's Orange Bitters (for two: 4oz gin, 3/4 oz syrup, 3/4 oz lemon).

Delicious and elegant cocktail.

edit - correct recipe

Glad you liked it Erik! The drier version sounds good too. It's a little sweet for my taste too, but you know the masses... :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Made a rosemary simple syrup for a dessert tonight and have a bit left over.  Any ideas?

freshherbs,

What was your recipe? I'd try Eric's but rosemary flowers aren't likely to be in my future unless I grow them myself so if you happen to check in before Katie has a chance to check with her kitchen staff I'd be grateful for any pointers you'd care to provide.

Thanks.

Kurt

pretty simple really. made a simple and then turned the flame off under the pan. added about a tbsp of fresh rosemary leaves (if that is what they are called). i strip them from the stem, bruised them a bit and let them steep until syrup was cooled. then i strained it. came out beautifully--not too strong.

freshherbs,

Thanks.

Kurt

pretty simple really. made a simple and then turned the flame off under the pan. added about a tbsp of fresh rosemary leaves (if that is what they are called). i strip them from the stem, bruised them a bit and let them steep until syrup was cooled. then i strained it. came out beautifully--not too strong.

This sounds like the ideal way to do this. I finally spoke to the kitchen about how they make ours. Pretty similar but they're doing it in 8 quart batches and using 3 or 4 bunches of rosemary! For a pint, which would be a much more reasonable amount for home consumption, I'd do it via the method freshherbs used and use maybe the leaves from one or two sprigs.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

by the way, KatieLoeb, at the time of original posting I made the TMUTMD upon your suggestion with Tanq 10 and it was deelish. (full disclosure: I work for the company that makes Tanq so I start most cocktails with it!)

by the way, KatieLoeb, at the time of original posting I made the TMUTMD upon your suggestion with Tanq 10 and it was deelish.  (full disclosure:  I work for the company that makes Tanq so I start most cocktails with it!)

Sounds great! I just learned how much I actually like the Tanq 10 this past weekend. One of my colleagues at Cocktails in the Country created a Pineapple-Mint Gimlet with Tanq 10 that was outrageously good. Could be showing up on the cocktails list at Amada soon! :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!