• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IACP Conference in Seattle

In case you hadn't heard - this is coming to Seattle late March 2006.

web site

Limited volunteer opportunities, big bucks to attend.

I am one of the coordinators for the post conference tour to Vancouver Island. I think there is still space available if interested. It's going to be an amazing culinary tour de force.

Is anyone organizing a get together for out of town eG'ers who will be in Seattle for the conference?

Not that I'm aware of yet, but it's a great idea! I'm a local and will be attending the conference. I'd love to meet up with folks who would like to get together!

Feel free to e-mail or PM me and we'll see what we can put together.

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

• 1 month later...

I'll be volunteering friday evening at the Endangered Treasures event at the Triple Door.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

They are here - great fun to run into attendees! Welcome all. See you tonight at the Market. PM me if you need any advice, assistance.

Now that is an energetic group - and Seattle really put on the feast - thank you restaurant owners and chefs. Fabulous tastes from 25 or so of the finest - Herbfarm, Canlis, Union, Crush, Rover's, Flying Fish, Brasa, Seastar, Cascadia, Lark, Yarrow Grill, Etta's, Rick Rodgers, Pink Door, Madison Park Cafe, Ray's, Hunt Club, and whoever else I am forgetting, plus wineries and merchants.

(I expect Taste WA will have a similar feel this year with it's new venue and format.)

The best sessions were the plenary sessions that took place during breakfast, my favorite being Mas Masumoto´s session on Friday. The other sessions included great speaker-chefs such as Dan Barber, Charlie Trotter, Fergus Anderson, Traci des Jardins and Raymond Blanc from Le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons in Oxford, England.

Seattle was a great city and thank you to all the volunteers and Host committee for a wonderful conference.

I ate at some great restaurants including Earth & Ocean, El Gaucho, The Pink Door, Elliott´s, but my favorite was a peruvian place in Kirkland called Mixtura. They have wonderul food and the chef is an angel.

Divina (Judy Witts) co-hosted a panel with Kate Hill and Fergus Henderson called Saints Perserve Us: A Pigs Tale. It was creative, and thought provoking. They began with a photo presentation taking us from slaughtering a pig, to pig products in the market, to the end product at St. John's. The pig has almost mythical importance in French and Italian cuisine. You butchered in the winter and ate the pig all year long, no wonder there is a reverence for this animal. After the presentation there was a lively and interesting discussion about the future of small butchers in North America. Its not a rosy picture by any means. At one point, Fegus suggested that we all hug our butcher; which seems like a very good idea.

Pontormo, that's the only eG-er that I'm sure about, but I'm sure there were others. (I bet you would have enjoyed the session on Scappi's Opera!).

i once went to parma with a few chefs, including fergus henderson. we went to the annual prosciutto festival. one of the things that i felt very affectionate towards was the abundance of pig artwork on the ironwork, stonecarvings, buildings etc throughout the city. parma is a town which really loves its pigs.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Divina (Judy Witts) co-hosted a panel with Kate Hill and Fergus Henderson called Saints Perserve Us: A Pigs Tale.  It was creative, and thought provoking. They began with a photo presentation taking us from slaughtering a pig, to pig products in the market, to the end product at St. John's.  The pig has almost mythical importance in French and Italian cuisine. You butchered in the winter and ate the pig all year long, no wonder there is a reverence for this animal.  After the presentation there was a lively and interesting discussion about the future of small butchers in North America. Its not a rosy picture by any means.  At one point, Fegus suggested that we all hug our butcher; which seems like a very good idea.

Pontormo, that's the only eG-er that I'm sure about, but I'm sure there were others. (I bet you would have enjoyed the session on Scappi's Opera!).

Yes, it was Divina's panel that I had in mind when posting my question earlier. I also understand David Leite was honored, no?

As for your final comment, I was intrigued since the name is new to me. You'll see the results of preliminary investigations back in Lazio.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath