• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rasberry frosting?

ericablu

I say yes, you could absolutely add in some puree or jam, but keep in mind that jam will sweeten up the BC much more than pure puree. Also, you may want to add in some red food colouring to turn what probably will be a pink BC into more of a reddish one. Keep in mind too, that you don't want to add in too much moisture, so if you're goign to go with either jam or puree, you could cook it down a bit to reduce the moisture.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I find jam too sweet. I would add puree to the buttercream and if you had some raspberry liquour or Boyajian raspberry oil, you could add a touch of extra kick with those.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

To make your cupcakes even more decadent, you can make a raspberry ganache instead of a raspberry buttercream. It's the same as making a classic ganache 1:1 ratio but instead of heavy cream, you add raspberry puree to chopped bittersweet chocolate, then allow the ganache to set to a spreadable consistency. If you want, you could also add a bit of raspberry liquor (such as Chambord) to the ganache as Canadianbakin suggested. The tartness of the puree with the bittersweet choc is just :raz::wub: !