• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in NNJ

BeerGut

Ok leaving in a couple of hours for Austin.

Will try to check in with my barbecue report next week so you poor deprived New Jerseyans will at least be able to enjoy vicariously.

Going to try to hit Lockhart and Luling on the to and from San Antonio.

What you got that I would want?<s>

Make me an offer....

I'm in the airport now debating my strategy...Hmmm..just how long do I have to wait in between meals to have barbecue again? 2hrs? 20 minutes?<s> How fast does one truly digest?

I'll see what I can do about bringing something back...

I'll be out of commission for the next three days on a retreat where I think there will be no internet. But next week, I begin...I think I will start with someplace in Austin proper then on to City Market in Luling.

I'll keep ya updated..If I can figure out the picture thing I'll try to do that. So maybe I can offer you that at least.

What would it take to get you to bring some back with you? :smile:

hey, every time johnnybird goes down to ft. benning i send plastic zip top bags with him labeled pulled pork, brisket, etc. he freezes them in the fridge at boq or his hotel and flies them home to me...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

What you got that I would want?<s>

Make me an offer....

I'm in the airport now debating my strategy...Hmmm..just how long do I have to wait in between meals to have barbecue again?  2hrs?  20 minutes?<s>  How fast does one truly digest?

I'll see what I can do about bringing something back...

I'll be out of commission for the next three days on a retreat where I think there will be no internet.  But next week, I begin...I think I will start with someplace in Austin proper then on to City Market in Luling.

I'll keep ya updated..If I can figure out the picture thing I'll try to do that.  So maybe I can offer you that at least.

two to two and a half hours shold be optimum. definitely go for the brisket and if you get up around new braunfels try some of the sausages....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

An order of ribs from Casa =Mark...

They look great. Care to give a recipe?

Take a slab of ribs and with a paper towel or clean dish rag pinch and remove the membrane from the back of the rack. Rub with black pepper, ground chipotle pepper and onion powder and let sit for an hour. Toss on smoker at 225 to 250 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. Eat. Or in my case, take a picture of them and then eat.

I've also got a report on my first Pulled Pork.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak