• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in NNJ

BeerGut

Woops! I had no idea that there were 2 of them.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Silver Oak has a smoker, but its the indoor/stovetop kind.

:blink::shock:

Dear Menton, you are welcome to try us at your leasure. It is 100% Mesquite smoked. BBQ is not available at all times, please call ahead. Chef Gary cannot wait to meet you. Hope to see you soon. Mike :smile:

i'm not sure what you stuffed in your  tonight, but i had some excellent BBQ from Silver Oak. stove-top smoker or a hole in the ground, i couldn't care less.

i'm no BBQ expert, but i have excellent taste (it's just a fact.  you have to accept it).  chef gary is producing very, very, very good BBQ.

Ok. I yield. I'll reserve comment until I try it. (Hole in the ground is a great system = luau)

i'm not sure what you stuffed in your  tonight, but i had some excellent BBQ from Silver Oak. stove-top smoker or a hole in the ground, i couldn't care less.

i'm no BBQ expert, but i have excellent taste (it's just a fact.  you have to accept it).  chef gary is producing very, very, very good BBQ.

Ok. I yield. I'll reserve comment until I try it. (Hole in the ground is a great system = luau)

my work here is done.

Dear Menton, you are welcome to try us at your leasure. It is 100% Mesquite smoked. BBQ is not available at all times, please call ahead. Chef Gary cannot wait to meet you. Hope to see you soon. Mike :smile:

Sorry - correction, after talking with Chef Gary, it's all Hickory smoked. He uses an indoor BBQ smoking cabinet by Cookchack: http://www.americasbestbbq.com/moreinfo.cf...ct_ID=455629618

The last smoker that he used was able to produce 2000lb of BBQ at one time. Being in Ridgewood, I'm not sure if people around us be very happy smelling the smoke - and we have a small place. Need to start small - but planning to begin offering BBQ takeout by the pound. Just another project. All the best. Mike

Edited by mfeygin (log)

Sorry - correction, after talking with Chef Gary, it's all Hickory smoked. He uses an indoor BBQ smoking cabinet by Cookchack: http://www.americasbestbbq.com/moreinfo.cf...ct_ID=455629618

The last smoker that he used was able to produce 2000lb of BBQ at one time. Being in Ridgewood, I'm not sure if people around us be very happy smelling the smoke - and we have a small place. Need to start small - but planning to begin offering BBQ takeout by the pound. Just another project. All the best. Mike

Oooh. It looks like they make a residential version that is half the size and about half the price:

http://www.americasbestbbq.com/moreinfo.cf...ct_ID=455628952

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i've got nothing to gain by promoting this place. (silver oak)

as i've said, it's good. no "oohs" no "ahhs". my word, i think, matters. i visit. i pay. i eat. i return. i'm not passing judgement when i'm not paying.

maybe that's something some should consider? you should.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'm specifically referring to his barbeque rig, tommy.

i was using the general "you", jason.

why is it always such a battle with you? so many NJ threads are contentious. it's troubling.

edited to add:

url=http://www.americasbestbbq.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=455628952

sweet rig!

I assumed you were referring to my "oooh" comment and you were casting an aspersion to my relationship to Silver Oak and insinuating that my judgement is clouded due to comped meals:

as i've said, it's good. no "oohs" no "ahhs". my word, i think, matters. i visit. i pay. i eat. i return. i'm not passing judgement when i'm not paying.

If the threads are contentious you have a perfectly adequate reporting mechanism to Rosie and Rachel, or any other manager on this site. I don't moderate forums or threads anymore or have a hand in their resolution.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If the threads are contentious you have a perfectly adequate reporting mechanism to Rosie and Rachel, or any other manager on this site. I don't moderate forums or threads anymore or have a hand in their resolution.

i don't find contentious threads a reportable offense. i do, however, find them amusing.

If the air is clear in front of a BBQ joint eat somewhere else.... :biggrin:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

None of my business, but this thread is no longer about barbecue, seems to be getting a bit heated, and not the way a good brisket should be. Back to the topic...

There is a need for a good barbecue joint around here. I've searched and yet to find.

I'm going on a trip in two weeks to search out good barbecue.

Actually it's really a business trip to Austin but I will try to do a barbecue crawl/review while I am there. I got the craving...

Those of us in North Jersey must convince Geoffe at Barnstormer to move here from Newburgh NY....

You guys got me so hungry we are driving up there tomorrow

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

None of my business, but this thread is no longer about barbecue, seems to be getting a bit heated, and not the way a good brisket should be. Back to the topic...

There is a need for a good barbecue joint around here. I've searched and yet to find.

Actually not to give you a swollen head or anything your dish I had about 2 weeks ago the braised brisket? ribs? with the carrots and parsnips thingy was real REAL tasty if you had a BBQ sauce you could make (I hate the bought ones) for that AND sell it to us, or maybe "co-op with Chef Gary" or something... you'd have a great BBQ dish and we'd make you our BBQ location no doubt! LOL :raz:

I've fallen in love with some of your dishes and I've got to admit it's hard to hold myself to my once every one or two week rule (depending on budget constraints!) but I really REALLY love Chef Gary's BBQ sauce that he puts out with the Amuse Bouche! I'm TORN between to loves! :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

So we should propose a combo deal with Chef Gary, Fink and Picnic Chef all consolidating their talents into one amazing cooperative.  :wub:

It is the same sauce. Chef Gary is ready for the cooperative - he makes enough sauce for an army - I wonder if he was ever in the service....I will ask him tomorrow, but afraid that if the answer is yes, he may have to cook for all of Iraq….LOL. We will be selling BBQ takeout kits fairly soon. Just working on logistics now. Mike

How about a road trip to the Front St. Smokehouse in Elizabeth to clear the air?

I think a trip to Front Street is a great idea for anybody looking for some good BBQ. I went this past weekend and the ribs and the brisket were outstanding. I know Daniel went before he left for Vegas and will get his review up when he returns from Vegas (and hopefully some pictures too). Somebody else also checked out Front Street and posted in the "Lunch in Elizabeth" thread (maybe a moderator can move the review to the "Front Street Smokehouse" thread. I am no expert, but if anybody is interested in reading more about the guys who are running Front Street - it has its own thread.

I assumed you were referring to my "oooh" comment and you were casting an aspersion to my relationship to Silver Oak and insinuating that my judgement is clouded due to comped meals:

I was quite disturbed to hear of this revelation; You write a column in the New York Times. `This is a restaurant you reviewed in the newspaper. Comped meals are not only unacceptable, IMHO, but completely against all journalistic principles. Does the NY Times editor know of these comped meals? If they do and approve, shame on the NY Times. I feel that any media food critic should be anonymous on his visits prior to review; there should also never be a comp after the review, either, because that casts a further cloud on the veracity of the review, e.g., a possible quid pro quo.