• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef crawfish

bavila

I couldn't stay awake for the judging portion of Iron Chef (Batali v Murphy), but oh my, was I drooling over their entries. Red curry crawfish, crawfish and goat cheese pepper (didn't catch which kind -- not jalapenos) poppers, a Thai crawfish concoction over cucumber "noodles". I'm bumming that Food Network doesn't post any recipes for Iron Chef.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I TiVo'd it; will watch tonite. Can't wait...I am happy that they're doing more "interesting" ingredients these days. I think that Iron Chef America has suffered from a lack of pizzaz re: secret ingredients. Much of the original show's charm derived from the unisex salmon, exotic pork, live octopus, etc.

I couldn't stay awake for the judging portion of Iron Chef (Batali v Murphy), but oh my, was I drooling over their entries.  Red curry crawfish, crawfish and goat cheese pepper (didn't catch which kind -- not jalapenos) poppers, a Thai crawfish concoction over cucumber "noodles".  I'm bumming that Food Network doesn't post any recipes for Iron Chef.

Piquillo peppers (challenger), Mario was using birds.

It all looked really good; we were suprised at the lukewarm reception to some of the dishes. I had to admire the challenger's chutzpah. When the actress judge said she wasn't really tasting the crawfish in one of her dishes, she pointed to the plate and said "you might want to try a bite from over there...where all of the crawfish is." It was brilliant.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Who won? I though it was running next week.

Mario won by, I believe 3 points (2 taste and one originality, I believe - she won the plating part).

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This show had me drooling as well bavila. It was so delicious looking and creative. I especially loved Mario's dish that he said was inspired by a trip to Vietnam. He took cooked crawfish tails and added sriracha, fish sauce, lime juice, basil, and mint. He may have added some sambal oolek as well. Then he made a base of "cucumber" spaghetti and honeydew strips and topped it with the crawfish mixture. The challenger's dishes looked scrumptuous as well. Her manicotti with a crawfish bechamel and her take on bisteeya using crawfish tails and duck confit were definitely mouth watering. I wish FTV would publish the recipes as well, but since they're becoming less and less interested in actually showing people how to cook I wouldn't hold my breath.

And I agree moosnsqrl about some of the comments of the judges. I remember that one of them complained that the bisteeya dish prepared by the challenger didn't need the duck confit. Believe me, I will never complain about duck confit any time, any where. And her comeback that you mentioned, which she did with a lot of class, for one of the judges to tuck in to the other side of her dish, was indeed brilliant.

Anyone else remember some of the components of the other dishes?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

This show had me drooling as well bavila.  It was so delicious looking and creative.  I especially loved Mario's dish that he said was inspired by a trip to Vietnam.  He took cooked crawfish tails and added sriracha, fish sauce, lime juice, basil, and mint.  He may have added some sambal oolek as well.  Then he made a base of "cucumber" spaghetti and honeydew strips and topped it with the crawfish mixture.  The challenger's dishes looked scrumptuous as well.  Her manicotti with a crawfish bechamel and her take on bisteeya using crawfish tails and duck confit were definitely mouth watering.  I wish FTV would publish the recipes as well, but since they're becoming less and less interested in actually showing people how to cook I wouldn't hold my breath.

And I agree moosnsqrl about some of the comments of the judges.  I remember that one of them complained that the bisteeya dish prepared by the challenger didn't need the duck confit.  Believe me, I will never complain about duck confit any time, any where.  And her comeback that you mentioned, which she did with a lot of class, for one of the judges to tuck in to the other side of her dish, was indeed brilliant.

Anyone else remember some of the components of the other dishes?

I got to see it last nigt, it will be repeated tru 3/26. This was one of my favorite episodes because of them actually using a secret ingredient indiginious to Louisiana. The show starting next week is Batai vs Besh. This show will also be of interest because of Besh being from NO and the secret ingredient is going to be Andouille sausage...

I was surprised to see the challenger use Ronzoni Manicotti..One of the judges commented that it wasnt cooked.. A good time saver, but not making a fresh pasta cost her points.. I agree with Moosnsqrl, it was funny watching Chef have to explain how to eat a dish..

I thought both sides did extremely well with such little time..

Edited by Daniel (log)

In other Iron Chef news, John Besh will be battling Batali this Sunday (Besh will also be on Rachael Ray's travel show Friday).

If anyone wants to bet on Batali, I'll take that action on the other side. Seriously. Just PM me.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

The battle between Besh and Batali was good. The secret ingredient - andouille! Man, some of those dishes looked great.

No kidding. Besh's diver scallops larded with andouille still has me drooling. I'm going to have to try that. Mmmm

M.F.K. Fisher

Battle andouille sounds great, but please don't give away the winner yet since I (and I assume many others) haven't seen it yet, okay? :wink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Battle andouille sounds great, but please don't give away the winner yet since I (and I assume many others) haven't seen it yet, okay? :wink:

This was the best Iron Chef America I have seen yet. Besh rules!!! Louisiana Chef, Louisiana product.... It doesn't get any better than that. The dishes both Besh's and Batali's all looked great.

It was post-Katrina. They taped it in January.

I believe there is a rerun on March 2nd at a reasonable hour.

It was definitely post Katrina, there were a lot of references to the storm and the condition of NO. Besh made the statement that it was good for him and his crew to get away from all of it for a little while.