• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cacao/Cocoa Nibs

Any ideas where I could get cacao nibs locally in Chicago? I'm looking for a large® quantity - not wholesale, per se, but enough that it would probably be more economical for me to buy in bulk.

ulterior epicure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

The Spice House on N Wells has them. I'd imagine they could help you with a large quantity. I think a pound was around $18 last time I was there.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

The Spice House in Evanston has them. I was there last week and they had samples out. They also had ginger nibs for sampling, along side the cacao nibs.

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

Great, so Spice House - I know where the one on Wells is... just south of Lincoln Park... right? I'm not sure where the one in Evanston is...

Keep 'em comin'!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 17 years later...

Need to wake this topic up because Scharffenberger no longer is selling their cacao nibs.  I have built them into a number of recipes (e.g., Five by Five Chocolate Cookies) as an interesting alternative to tree nuts and to add more cacao flavor to a recipe. 

Now that they're no longer available from Scharffenberger, I'm mostly seeing versions from companies whose emphasis is on natural/organic/whole ingredients, and having been burned by too many awful muddy chocolates from similar producers, I'm wary of ordering random brands.  I want nibs that will actually taste good in my recipes, good enough for making into decent chocolate,and not stale, bland, badly roasted versions.  Where do you get nibs you can trust?

I just discovered that they're available from Dandelion Chocolate as well, but as expected, not cheap.   I decided to go with them because I have really enjoyed the specific Kokoa Kamili bar made from those beans, so I'm going to hope I like the nibs as well as the chocolate.  I haven't had similar high percentage Valrhona's chocolate for a long time, but IIRC their roasts tend to be darker than my preference.  But I'm really glad this is something major makers are still putting out, because it does add such a fine touch in the right recipes.