• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zinfandel

Fat Guy

You can also find it at retail here.

Thanks! I ordered a bottle...we'll see what comes; they had few details (ie. 375 vs 750 ml), not even sure if this is reasonable retail prices or auction or what.

Well, the shipment came--I got a whole bottle of 00 Rafanelli Zin. But here's the kicker--there was a $24 shipping charge--bringing that one darn bottle to nearly $80!! Now there was no shipping cost mentioned on the website that I can find, nor was it on the emailed receipt I got. Am I wrong to feel pissed?? It came next-day air-- the website says there's a choice about this, but I sure didn't get one. Any other experiences with this Santa Rosa Fine Wine place??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

You can also find it at retail here.

Thanks! I ordered a bottle...we'll see what comes; they had few details (ie. 375 vs 750 ml), not even sure if this is reasonable retail prices or auction or what.

Well, the shipment came--I got a whole bottle of 00 Rafanelli Zin. But here's the kicker--there was a $24 shipping charge--bringing that one darn bottle to nearly $80!! Now there was no shipping cost mentioned on the website that I can find, nor was it on the emailed receipt I got. Am I wrong to feel pissed?? It came next-day air-- the website says there's a choice about this, but I sure didn't get one. Any other experiences with this Santa Rosa Fine Wine place??

Most definetely you should be pissed! I would track down one of those business rating websites and rant away.

Yeah that is total B.S. Our site is very clear about shipping and it allows you to choose which method you want and can afford. I'd complain loudly.

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

I visited the site and indeed they show you a total that does not include shipping when you get to the point of entering your credit card.

I would think a complaint appropriate in this case and have contacted the store asking them to respond.

Oh..but NOW, I have found a cached version of that page, and it appears they updated their website following my complaint. Here is the original version of the terms:

http://216.239.41.104/search?sourceid=navc...com%2Fterms.asp

I received a note from them yesterday which reads:

"Hi Sara - It was sent two day air and double boxed since the weather is

getting too hot for ground. If you like, will accept the wine back and provide

a full refund, or would be glad to accept another order from you and provide

free shipping since the cost was not known to you on your first purchase.

Sincerely,

Nick Wittman

Santa Rosa Fine Wine

http://www.santarosafinewine.com

sales@santarosafinewine.com"

My problem with this is that they don't offer to simply refund the shipping cost--only if I return the wine will they do that!! Am I wrong on this--or wouldn't that be the right course of action? I wrote back already suggesting that they do that instead...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Ok-the resolution...

"Hi Sara

You raised a valid point regarding shipping detail, and in response, we

updated our terms page. Though it was shipped 2 day air, we will in this

instance credit you the difference between ground and air ($10). If this is an

acceptable solution, let us know and we will issue you the credit immediately.

Sincerely,

Nick Wittman

Santa Rosa Fine Wine

http://www.santarosafinewine.com

sales@santarosafinewine.com"

I accepted that offer.

Thanks for watching folks...

-- William Grimes

What an interesting thread!

In my gastronomy class, just a few short weeks ago, we'd covered the longtime association between zin and primitivo; and the instructor had mentioned that there was some doubt as to whether primitivo was in fact the "original zin" (pace Bonnie Doon). I'll have to forward him the links to some of these articles.

To make it more interesting, I'd bought a bottle of plavac mali just a few weeks ago from my local bottle shop. It was a 1997 "Kastelet", and cost me all of $9 CDN to try...I've been hearing that some of those eastern European wines are great bargains, so I picked one at random. It was a little bit strange on my palate, as I've not had any real exposure to zin, but it was quite an acceptable table wine in my admittedly non-expert opinion.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning